PDA

View Full Version : mount for Leupold VXR 1.25-4

eo500
04-22-12, 11:25
I'm looking to get a Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x with the SPR firedot reticle. This will be mounted on my 16" BCM middy with the standard front sight post.

What mount do you recommend for this setup? Do I need a high mount to see over the sight post? Does it need to be offset to the front for proper eye relief? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

evotistic
04-22-12, 12:30
Interested in this tread, as this scope is on my short list.

big b
04-22-12, 13:11
Have you looked into getting a Larue mount?

I don't have any experience with your particular optic, but Larue is my go to for optic mounts.

eo500
04-22-12, 17:00
I have a Larue mount for an Aimpoint on my other rifle. I'll have to give them a call to see what they recommend. I was hoping to get some input from people who have experience with other mounts too to get a fair comparison.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-22-12, 19:19
Get the Bobro mount. I have run/owned Larue on Aimpoints, US Optics SN4, Horus Talon and Mk4 scopes. I made the switch to Bobro on the recomindation of DMR here on the site and I could not be more please. Its on and off so easy and its so secure.

I got a super good deal on a used Bobro mount for my US Optics SN4. I could not use the mount because the rear adjustment ring would not fit in the mount. I contacted Bobro and the owner Andrew Bobro had me call him we discused the issue and he sent me a new arm of a diffrent hight for ZERO cost to me in shipping or the part. Now thats customer service and support. I got flamed out by Tim on another message board so I switched all my mounts to Bobro and after that CS experience its all I will ever use.

Singlestack Wonder
04-23-12, 08:44
My personal preference would be the ADM Recon or Recon-X. I prefer ADM's rail attachment method vs. others. Simple, no tools required.

YMMV

rob_s
04-23-12, 08:50
I have just over 1400 rounds on the VXR Patrol. Initially I used the Leupold mount which was unsat and did not put the scope far enough forward. I now have the Bobro extended and it is MUCH better. Whatever you choose, get the extended.

Bobro $240 (http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/8/)
Larue $215 (http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-e-lt-139)
ADM $200 (http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/8/)

personally, given the ~$550 street price of this optic I'd like to find a lower-cost, probably non-throwlever, mount for this optic. Paying nearly 50% of the cost of the optic for a mount is counter-intuitive to me personally.

eo500
04-23-12, 21:55
I have just over 1400 rounds on the VXR Patrol. Initially I used the Leupold mount which was unsat and did not put the scope far enough forward. I now have the Bobro extended and it is MUCH better. Whatever you choose, get the extended.

Bobro $240 (http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/8/)
Larue $215 (http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-e-lt-139)
ADM $200 (http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/8/)

personally, given the ~$550 street price of this optic I'd like to find a lower-cost, probably non-throwlever, mount for this optic. Paying nearly 50% of the cost of the optic for a mount is counter-intuitive to me personally.

Thanks for the heads-up, I was considering getting the Leupold mount for around $80, but I guess I'll look at the Bobro, and the Larue possibly saving the $50 without the lever release.

Packman73
04-23-12, 22:22
My personal preference would be the ADM Recon or Recon-X. I prefer ADM's rail attachment method vs. others. Simple, no tools required.

YMMV

I have two ADM mounts and I'm one happy camper.

rob_s
04-24-12, 05:31
Thanks for the heads-up, I was considering getting the Leupold mount for around $80, but I guess I'll look at the Bobro, and the Larue possibly saving the $50 without the lever release.

Assuming it's not on a "fighting gun" with some need to strip off the optic to go to BUIS I think the Larue VFZ is probably the best choice right now in terms of cost. My gun has offset irons so the optic doesn't obscure them and therefore I have no reason to remove it.

Brahmzy
04-24-12, 16:42
Just picked up another LT-104 for my VXR.

By the way - going to order the scope in a few here. Cheapest I've seen is $529 shipped free from Botach. Anybody else seen this thing cheaper anywhere?

sammage
04-24-12, 18:44
Ableammo has them for around $450 shipped, but out of stock.

eo500
04-28-12, 09:49
Just picked up another LT-104 for my VXR.

By the way - going to order the scope in a few here. Cheapest I've seen is $529 shipped free from Botach. Anybody else seen this thing cheaper anywhere?

There are different prices for different reticles. I like the SPR reticle (which of course is usually the most expensive) :rolleyes: Sniper's hide had a group-buy on the Leupolds. I think its still available.

VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm (30mm), Matte, FireDot SPR $490
VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm (30mm), Matte, FireDot TMR $510

I just received my 1.25-4 SPR shipped for $509.

bp7178
04-28-12, 10:01
I was at a local gun shop yesterday and looked through the VXR. I was pretty surprised by how clear it was and how generous the eye box was. The Firedot reticle is a step in the right direction for sure. That scope has a lot of features for a very reasonable price point.

My experiance with it is making me look hard at the VX-6 1-6x24.

As to mounts, I've run the Larue and ADM mounts before, the LT104, LT135 and ADM Scout. I had an older version of the ADM that only had a six sided cross bolt. One posistion was extremely tight, the next way too lose. I've heard ADM went to an eight sided cross bolt, making the tension adjustments much more fine.

I've also seen some pics where it looks like the newer ADM mounts only have four screws holding the rings together, as opposed to six. I wonder if that is a prodction change.

The Bobro looks very intresting, but its up there in price.

I'm considering getting an ADM Scout, which only has one mounting lever.

aguila327
05-02-12, 00:33

I hear you brother. Having the same dilemma(sic) as I type. Just ordered my scope from Botach and will decide on the mount later over the weekend.

5pins
05-02-12, 06:15
Anyone ever tried the Burris P.E.P.R quick detach?

aguila327
05-03-12, 22:31
My VXR patrol 1,25-4 is on the way, be here Wednesday. Just ordered the Bobro mount. Lets see when that gets here.

So far the most I've spent in twodays on my rifles. lets hope the wife doesn't find out :D

dukduk
06-15-12, 18:05
how do you like it? i'm on the fence

eo500
06-15-12, 20:04
I got the Larue LT 104 mount without the QD. It works perfectly. I probably got lucky, but was able to get it zeroed-in in about two minutes. This setup is just what I wanted. The scope is great, it makes hitting 200 yard shots almost too easy even with my dwindling vision. The mount positions the scope so that I can acquire a quick sight picture (not quite as quick as an Aimpoint, but close). I do have a harder time when shooting lefty, but like most things, it will get better with practice.

dukduk
06-17-12, 00:57
what range are you zeroed? his far out does the first 2.5mil hash mark correspond?

buckjay
06-17-12, 15:24
My gosh, what a great coincidence:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1323240

:dance3:

aguila327
06-21-12, 05:36
Just realized I never re posted after I got my Bobro mount.

Very happy with the mount. My buddy got the Larue 104 mount, and he is happy with it, but am very satisfied with the Bobro. The dismount and remounting of the mount has maintained my zero after a half dozen times.

I am also partial to the one throw lever vs the two levers. It sure is nice to have choices.

usmcvet
06-26-12, 22:43
I had a BoBro mount for an H1. It was too wide for me. I return pined it. Are all their mounts so wide at th base?

usmcvet
06-26-12, 22:45
Just answered my own question. Yup very wide. Too much for me.

rob_s
06-27-12, 06:06
Just answered my own question. Yup very wide. Too much for me.

The options here are pretty limited. For a T-1 or the like I agree with you that they are too wide at the mount. But on something like a 1-4x I don't notice it at all. and if you want a single lever there aren't a lot of other options. ADM makes one but I just don't have enough confidence in their lever design to rely on only one.

usmcvet
06-27-12, 11:11
The options here are pretty limited. For a T-1 or the like I agree with you that they are too wide at the mount. But on something like a 1-4x I don't notice it at all. and if you want a single lever there aren't a lot of other options. ADM makes one but I just don't have enough confidence in their lever design to rely on only one.

Thanks for that info. I checked out a few photos online and the BoBro's look a lot more proportional with the standard size RDS and scopes. The mount looks normal on the Trijicon SRS. Have you looked through one yet Rob? I am pretty sure you and I shared some posts a while back about our astigmatisms. The 1.75 MOA dot sounds promising. I just called my local gun shop and asked them when they'd have them in so I can check one out.

rob_s
06-27-12, 11:56
Thanks for that info. I checked out a few photos online and the BoBro's look a lot more proportional with the standard size RDS and scopes. The mount looks normal on the Trijicon SRS. Have you looked through one yet Rob? I am pretty sure you and I shared some posts a while back about our astigmatisms. The 1.75 MOA dot sounds promising. I just called my local gun shop and asked them when they'd have them in so I can check one out.

Looked through one what? The SRS? No interest until I let someone else spend the cash.

I'm quite happy with my TA33 for now.

usmcvet
06-27-12, 20:07
Looked through one what? The SRS? No interest until I let someone else spend the cash.

I'm quite happy with my TA33 for now.

Yes the SRS. I have a pair of Aimpoint M4's that work well and I was able to buy in great shape and at great prices here on the EE. The 1.75 dot on the SRS caught my attention.