PDA

View Full Version : Piston AR List?

NightFighter
01-06-08, 09:49
I was wanted to know if anyone had a list of all the manufacturers that make Gas Piston ARs? I want to do some research and compare Gas Piston ARs. The only manufacturers I have been able to find are POF, Bushmaster, LWRC, SIG and Ares Defense conversion kit. I havent looked at H&K because I cant afford one and I dont think they are available to civies.
I have looked at the M14, M1, AK47 and FN-FAL.
If anyone knows of a company that is making an updated version of the previously mentioned rifles please leave me a hyperlink so I can look at the rifle. Thanks in advance.:confused:

SRT-M4
01-06-08, 12:04
I was wanted to know if anyone had a list of all the manufacturers that make Gas Piston ARs? I want to do some research and compare Gas Piston ARs. The only manufacturers I have been able to find are POF, Bushmaster, LWRC, SIG and Ares Defense conversion kit. I havent looked at H&K because I cant afford one and I dont think they are available to civies.
I have looked at the M14, M1, AK47 and FN-FAL.
If anyone knows of a company that is making an updated version of the previously mentioned rifles please leave me a hyperlink so I can look at the rifle. Thanks in advance.:confused:

LMT should have one out around the Shot Show and Primary Weapons Systems has a retro- fit available now. Its a very simple design that uses your weapon.
Magpul should have the Masada out this year.
Bushmasters piston is a POF system.
My Dad has the Ares system and really likes it. No complaints.
I have the POF and LWRC and to me both systems are top notch. I wouldnt trade them for anything short of the HK 416.
Good Luck!

Carbineoholic
01-06-08, 14:28
I've been thinking of doing this to my M-4 also. I detest the Stoner gas system and be leave Mikel K. had the correct idea. http://www.emoticons.free.fr/smileys/Emotion-Yes/thumbup.gif
Millions of Idiots running around with AK's who cant even clean one properly much less fire accurately speaks volumes. Less garbage in the bolt area = less failure.

Robb Jensen
01-06-08, 14:33
The SIG isn't an AR, it's just a US made SIG 55X series rifle that uses AR mags and stocks.

Piston rifles:
HK, LWRC, POF, Bushmaster.

Piston conversions:
ARES, Primary Weapons.

Newaza
01-06-08, 16:53
Do you know if LMT is going to come straight out of the chute with a piston system in 6.8? Or in the beginning will it solely be in .223?

thmpr
01-06-08, 17:15
I have tried both POF and LWRC and went with the LWRC due to the overall feel and balance. What made it easier was the upper rail system of the LWRC. I did not like the look and feel of the POF.

recon
01-06-08, 20:36
So to do it cheap this sounds like a good way to do it.
http://www.aresdefense.com/GSR-35v1Brochure.pdf

SRT-M4
01-06-08, 20:41
So to do it cheap this sounds like a good way to do it.
http://www.aresdefense.com/GSR-35v1Brochure.pdf

My Dad has an ARES kit in one of his Ar's and loves it. He has not had any issues with it. The felt recoil is different from DI AR's but not really any more. The weapon runs cooler and alot cleaner.

Robb Jensen
01-06-08, 20:42
The ARES failed me in less than 600 rounds on a full auto lower. YMMV. ;)

NightFighter
01-06-08, 20:47
The SIG isn't an AR, it's just a US made SIG 55X series rifle that uses AR mags and stocks.

Piston rifles:
HK, LWRC, POF, Bushmaster.

Piston conversions:
ARES, Primary Weapons.
Thanks for answering my question:p. Do you have any experience with the rifles you listed? Or do you know anyone who has experience with the rifles you listed? Which of the rifles listed do you consider the best or better than the other rifles? Do you know anything about the conversion systems?
Is the Armalite rifle a gas piston rifle? :confused:

Robb Jensen
01-06-08, 20:53
Thanks for answering my question:p. Do you have any experience with the rifles you listed? Or do you know anyone who has experience with the rifles you listed? Which of the rifles listed do you consider the best or better than the other rifles? Do you know anything about the conversion systems?
Is the Armalite rifle a gas piston rifle? :confused:

I've shot about 500 rounds through a few different LWRC rifles and they feel very nice. To me.........a little harder recoil into the shoulder but less muzzle lift. Same for the POF and Bushmaster but more pronounced. VERY little with the HK. For conversions not good luck with ARES, mine gave up to the ghost just under 600 rounds on a full auto lower. I should have a Primary Weapons kit in my hands installed on my Colt 6920 upper within a week or so according to PWS.

SRT-M4
01-06-08, 21:15
I've shot about 500 rounds through a few different LWRC rifles and they feel very nice. To me.........a little harder recoil into the shoulder but less muzzle lift. Same for the POF and Bushmaster but more pronounced. VERY little with the HK. For conversions not good luck with ARES, mine gave up to the ghost just under 600 rounds on a full auto lower. I should have a Primary Weapons kit in my hands installed on my Colt 6920 upper within a week or so according to PWS.

Playing with the right buffer and recoil spring combinations will make a piston AR feel like night and day.
I just finished playing with my LWRC and a David Tubb Chrome Silicon Flat wire recoil spring and an H3 buffer. What a difference! No muzzle rise and the rifle feels like a 10/22 ruger. Best of all it still functions with wolf 62 gr ammo. It even hold the bolt back on the last round. A real worth while difference.
As far as the Ares kit, my Dads has probably 300-350 rounds on a full auto lower and has not experienced any problems. Maybe in time this will change. I beleive he has the upgraded version that ARES put out.
My gen 1 POF uses the MGI 2x recoil spring and their Rate Reducing Buffer. It also function flawlessly and has calmed the recoil down considerably.
My Gen2 POF likes the CAR buffer spring and H buffer. Nothing heavier.

Robb Jensen
01-06-08, 21:23
Playing with the right buffer and recoil spring combinations will make a piston AR feel like night and day.
I just finished playing with my LWRC and a David Tubb Chrome Silicon Flat wire recoil spring and an H3 buffer. What a difference! No muzzle rise and the rifle feels like a 10/22 ruger. Best of all it still functions with wolf 62 gr ammo. It even hold the bolt back on the last round. A real worth while difference.
As far as the Ares kit, my Dads has probably 300-350 rounds on a full auto lower and has not experienced any problems. Maybe in time this will change. I beleive he has the upgraded version that ARES put out.
My gen 1 POF uses the MGI 2x recoil spring and their Rate Reducing Buffer. It also function flawlessly and has calmed the recoil down considerably.
My Gen2 POF likes the CAR buffer spring and H buffer. Nothing heavier.

I did that, I used an ISMI spring, H buffer, H2 buffer, H3 buffer and a 9mm buffer. The piston systems feel different. Different buffers will not readily change that. Trigger time and shooting it more will. As I said the ARES failed in less than 600 rounds on a full auto lower. The nasty details are that the gas tube roll pin holding the spigot into the FSB decided to exit stage right which resulted in a bent op rod. Your dads may not ever do that. I test and break a lot of shit essentially on purpose, I run shit hard......if it fails me I'd rather it be out F***ing around and not in a match or in defense of my life. YMMV.

SRT-M4
01-06-08, 22:03
I did that, I used an ISMI spring, H buffer, H2 buffer, H3 buffer and a 9mm buffer. The piston systems feel different. Different buffers will not readily change that. Trigger time and shooting it more will. As I said the ARES failed in less than 600 rounds on a full auto lower. The nasty details are that the gas tube roll pin holding the spigot into the FSB decided to exit stage right which resulted in a bent op rod. Your dads may not ever do that. I test and break a lot of shit essentially on purpose, I run shit hard......if it fails me I'd rather it be out F***ing around and not in a match or in defense of my life. YMMV.

Using the different buffers made a big difference on both of my piston guns. I know what you are saying in that piston ARs do feel different. Im not trying to change that. Like you said more time behind the trigger will. Im looking for the least amount of recoil with the least amount of muzzle climb. The different weight buffers and Xtra power recoil springs did just that.