PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater IPSC match

Robb Jensen
01-06-08, 11:59
Is anyone else besides our typical NoVA group going to be shooting the monthly IPSC match at Blackwater on Sunday the 20th? This month there's a side rifle match! :D

Also don't forget about the 3gun match at BlackCreek on Saturday the 26th!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunrifle.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunrifleaimpointM4.jpg

Gunfixr
01-07-08, 00:35
I've come down with something and so has my wife. I'm hoping to be healthy again by the end of the month. No way I can do both. I'll probably opt for the Black Creek 3gun match. I'm also trying to get some choke on my shotgun as the flipper is scheduled to reappear.
I've got a few of those adjustable-type chokes floating around, and while I think they look kind of ugly, they are simple as you just rotate the collar to change the choke. Plus the unit itself will be free, and I will install it. I will go to rifle sights as well, to see over it and get aligned with POI.

VA_Dinger
01-12-08, 21:16
I will be attending.

I expect mark5pt56, Chris914, Subzero, and maybe Templar & M4arc also.

rhino
01-13-08, 16:22
Robb ... I'm not trying to be a smarta** (well, not beyond my usual anywa), but are they hosting an IPSC match or a USPSA match? As you know, they're different now and knowing which rules a club will be using for a given match will affect whether or not people choose to shoot and what type of gear they need to bring.

BigTinVA
01-13-08, 17:14
Robb,
I am thinking about going, I sent you an email about it.

Did you change the stock and sight on your 3-gun rifle again or is that an old pic?

9x19
01-13-08, 19:18
Robb ... I'm not trying to be a smarta** (well, not beyond my usual anywa), but are they hosting an IPSC match or a USPSA match? As you know, they're different now and knowing which rules a club will be using for a given match will affect whether or not people choose to shoot and what type of gear they need to bring.

I'm answering for Robb, since he's here in the room with me. They hold USPSA matches. It's still sort of common slang around here to just call 'em IPSC.

Robb Jensen
01-13-08, 19:26
Robb,
I am thinking about going, I sent you an email about it.

Did you change the stock and sight on your 3-gun rifle again or is that an old pic?

Yes I reinstalled the CTR stock. After going back to 'Tactical' and removing the bipod and H1 Aimpoint it felt butt heavy with the VLTOR E-MOD stock. Now it feels better balanced. It's always a work in progress. Ernest Langdon said he would DQ with my trigger :eek: . Oh well as long as I can shoot it, that's all that matters. :D

rhino
01-14-08, 23:50
I'm answering for Robb, since he's here in the room with me. They hold USPSA matches. It's still sort of common slang around here to just call 'em IPSC.

That's related to my point. We need to start influencing people to be specific since as of 01-Jan-2008 USPSA clubs can now hold matches under either USPSA rules or IPSC rules. It's not just a semantic difference, or what they do in Europe anymore. In the past it was no big deal to call USPSA "IPSC" since technically we were "USPSA/IPSC," but no more! (a fact that makes me happy. The more we distance ourselves from the jackals that run IPSC where the tail (IPSC) wags the dog (USPSA), the better!)

I don't expect many clubs to host IPSC matches, except for those that are hosting big IPSC matches to qualify for World Shoots and other big competition.

Joe Mamma
01-16-08, 09:12
I'll be there. I'm part of the Northern Virignia group but, I'm not regular enough to be part of the "typical" group. :)

Hopefully the weather will be OK. Right now, it's supposed to rain the day before, and be really cold the day of the match with a high of 35 deg!

Joe Mamma

blackscot
01-16-08, 09:50
Just caught this -- will have to pass this time. Have fun guys, and hope to see you all the following Sat. at BC3G.

If you see Templar at Blackwater, try to talk him into coming to BC3G too. He's closer to it than I am, but to my knowledge has never joined in.

I haven't been NOVA since bugging out in 1987.

Pretty sure I've never been "typical" anything.....:rolleyes:
ETA -- Just checked Sunday's forecast ! ! ! :eek: :( Y'all better bundle-up.

TY44934
01-17-08, 17:20
I will be there along with Jeff. I even washed the longjohns on account of the weather. Now if I can just find time to re-sight the AR middy with decent ammo & make sure the SP-01 hits where it should with the latest batch of 9 i made. . .:confused:

Looey
01-17-08, 18:59
I will be there, hopefully shooting. but if not i will stop by to see the VA Arms team shoot. hope to see you all there.

VA_Dinger
01-20-08, 06:14
OK, who is going even though it's snowing?

Pat_D
01-20-08, 06:51
I'm out. Still sick I'm afraid. I got an e-mail from Robb that he and Bonnie will not be attending as well.

For those that go, have fun!

VA_Dinger
01-20-08, 07:46
mark5pt56, Chris914, Subzero, Templar and M4arc are also not going to make it.

I guess it's up to me to go freeze for a few hours. I've broken out the long underwear so I should be OK.

Joe Mamma
01-21-08, 11:06
I made it and it was cold. REALLY cold! When I was driving off after the match (around 3:00 or 4:00), I glanced down and the car thermometer said it was 30 degrees outside. On top of that, it was pretty windy all day. But, on the positive side, it was also very clear and sunny all day. There was some snow on the ground but, nothing on the shooting areas (where you stand) because they were gravel. The turnout was surpsingly good in my opinion. But then again, I thought it would be just me and a couple of RO's! Ha ha.

I didn't shoot very well but, I had a good time and am glad I went. At the very least, it's good practice for the next match. There was also a good shoothouse stage so we got some temporary protection from the wind!

The carbine side match was one stage of 12 paper targets and 7 steel targets, shot from 4 different "boxes." The far targets were about 100yrds away. On my reload, with frozen fingers and hands and wrists and . . . , I could only work my "gross motor skills." I almost couldn't get the f'n mag in the mag well! But, that's good experience for me because it motivates me to work/practice harder.

I brought a bunch of extra disposable handwarmer packets for you guys. But, I'll save them for the next time!

Joe Mamma

blackscot
01-22-08, 05:49
That took some major balls competing in such weather. I was working my woodlot at the same time, so I know whereof you speak.

Joe Mamma
01-28-08, 18:38
It was worth it for me. I just checked the results and I got 1st place with my pistol (Production Division, and 5th Overall) and 2nd place with carbine (Tactical Division and 2nd Overall too). Now I'm still waiting to get the feeling back in a few of my fingers.

Joe Mamma

blackscot
01-29-08, 06:13
Where's Rev. Al's Global Warming ??? :p

Robb Jensen
01-29-08, 06:17
Where's Rev. Al's Global Warming ??? :p

He forgot to mention that while one of earths poles is getting a tiny bit warmer the other one is getting colder. I remember my science teachers saying we are between ice ages.

blackscot
01-29-08, 06:31
......while one of earths poles is getting a tiny bit warmer the other one is getting colder.......

My pole has been getting cold and tiny lately.

Robb Jensen
01-29-08, 06:37
My pole has been getting cold and tiny lately.

Whoa....hey now. That's a bit too much information! ;)