PDA

View Full Version : When getting a compact version of my CCW, should I keep platforms consistent?

1911-A1
04-22-12, 20:39
With the coming warm weather, I'd like to have a compact version of my carry weapon for concealing under lighter clothing.

Since I carry a full-size M&P9, I thought I should keep the platform consistent for reasons of familiarity and mag compatibility.

I handled a few M&P9c pistols, and discovered a few things:

-the compact really doesn't feel much like the full-size pistol.
-my FS has an Apex FSS-T installed, and I'm not sure if I will want to spring for another one for a compact.
-my FS has a thumb safety, and I'm on the fence about whether or not to get a compact with one installed.
-The compact's OEM trigger was much better than my full-size's factory trigger.
-Width between the C and FS is the same, and the grip lengths aren't that much different. (especially with the pinky-rest baseplate)

This has led me to consider thinner weapons like the Shield, PPS, etc. but I don't like the drastic reduction in capacity, new mags and holsters, and years of mass-market proof testing. I don't fit the G26 very well, otherwise I'd go that route. which brings me back around to the M&P9c.

My FS:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/BiteyMcClaws/MP.jpg

Palmguy
04-22-12, 20:55
Personally I found the grip lengths different enough that the 9c was a breeze to carry but the full size was not. That's just my two cents, obviously a subjective observation here.

If you get a 9c, get one with the thumb safety; you can always remove it if you don't want it.

The root cause of any differences you noted between triggers in the guns you have handled shouldn't be attributable to 'compact or full size', if I had to venture a guess, date of manufacture would have a lot more to do with it. The relevant components in the guns are the same design between compact and full size.

Grizzly16
04-22-12, 21:05
Holster + mag compatibility makes it a no-brainer for me. The m&pc is a great carry size.

rsxr22
04-23-12, 19:23
I would vote for the 9c as well. One of the best things I ever did was go to a G19 and EMP9 for CC. Considering I shoot a FS WC 1911 and G34 in competition

High Altitude
04-23-12, 23:00
I personally like to keep it in the family no matter what platform I am using.

HuttoAg96
04-23-12, 23:16
I shoot a M&P9 full size for competition (IDPA) and carry a 9c. Both have the same Apex full DCAEK+RAM in them. I've run them in IDPA competitions where I ran the compact as a "2nd gun" to see what the difference was in time/score, and it has been truly negligible both times I've done that (12 stages total). The 9c is slightly harder to shoot at 15-20 yards due to the shorter sight radius, but only a little. Recoil is just slightly snappier.

I agree with the comment about the grip on the 9c being much easier to carry. I'm a relatively small guy (5'9/170#) and that 1/2 inch or whatever on the grip makes all the difference in the world to not stick out quite so much on the back, and it is a ton more comfortable to sit in a car with it.

Oh, I would say do NOT get the model with the safety, as I believe (at least when I was purchasing) that Apex doesn't make a RAM that is compatible with the safety model. My information may be outdated in this regard. This is a personal preference deal, but the RAM makes the reset a ton better on the M&Ps.

cheapsandwich
04-23-12, 23:21
It made sense for me, I found that the way I dress it was more grip length than width of pistol that was the problem for carry with me.
It's nice just using the same gear and mags for both.

Have you shot the compact yet or just held it?

MegademiC
04-23-12, 23:31
I find grip length and width to be what shows, if anything. That said, how do you carry?

I have a heavy gun (g19 sized-steel frame) and no ass so I have to use appendix carry (gun pulls my pants down unless my pants look like a tater sack). With appendix carry, this does not happen, I can see from periferals its conceled, Dont have to worry about bending over, and conceles easier. I can almost hide mine with a wife-beater. Tight t-shirt - no one can see it.

If I was going smaller than a 19 - I'd look at a ruger lc9/khar pm-9/walther pps as these would make a huge difference in concelability for me. YMMV.

1911-A1
04-25-12, 00:07
It made sense for me, I found that the way I dress it was more grip length than width of pistol that was the problem for carry with me.
It's nice just using the same gear and mags for both.

Have you shot the compact yet or just held it?

I've just finger ****ed them so far. No places around here rent them. I am going to swing by the shop tomorrow and check them out again. I found a place that sells them for $499 which is about $50 less than everywhere else I've checked.

OldState
04-25-12, 08:08
If you get a 9c, get one with the thumb safety; you can always remove it if you don't want it.

I'm in a similar decision mode because I am changing platforms. I currently use a FS and compact 1911 so my platforms are consistent.

I've been researching an M&P for months and just ordered one with a thumb safety. Being that they can be removed but NOT added later makes me scratch my head a little on why I wouldn't go this route. I also believe I read S&W will give you plugs to fill the holes..not sure though. Plus, I like you are already used to a TS (1911 in my case).
Also, you don't have to use the TS but if you're ever going to even think about another FSS you may want it, no?

Oh, I would say do NOT get the model with the safety, as I believe (at least when I was purchasing) that Apex doesn't make a RAM that is compatible with the safety model. My information may be outdated in this regard.

Their release is supposed to be imminent.

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/breaking-news-from-apex/

1911-A1
04-25-12, 15:04
Alright you bastards, I bought one today and it's your fault.

Like my full-size M&P, reaching for the slide stop causes my thumb to engage the safety which I then have to disengage in order to fire, so I opted not to get the thumb safety for that reason.

I ran 150rds through it directly after leaving the gun store. No problems at all, aside from the fact that it shot a bit to the right, even from a benchrest position. It may be the sights, or it could be me. I'm not sure yet.

It also pinched the hell out of my hand when quickly inserting one of the 12rd mags on a reload drill. The baseplate chews the crap out of the meaty part of your palm if you're not careful. If done under stress, you'll get a blood blister for sure. Luckily I'll be carrying a 17rd mag for reloads, so it won't be much of an issue.