PDA

View Full Version : Which M&P for duty use?

bravofour
04-22-12, 23:35
So here's the deal, I just got hired at a new department and I'll be switching from Glocks to M&P's. I have a choice of carrying 9mm, .40, or .45. The Pro/9L is not an option. I shoot a G34 in USPSA production but I just recently bought a 9mm Pro because I believe strongly in competing/training with the same platform I carry to work...for this reason I'll be completely switching from Glock to S&W. I thought I was sold on the 9mm but I have been doing alot of research on M&P's and it seems the 9mm is lacking in accuracy compared to the .40 or .45. I hate the recoil characteristics of .40 so I'm really just trying to decide between 9 and 45. The rangemaster happens to be my best friend so I'm going to shoot all 3 guns before I decide, but I would still enjoy hearing some other opinions.

chitownpig
04-23-12, 00:55
I switched to the M&P .40 from a Sig 226 this year for duty and I'm not looking back. I don't have any problems with the recoil whatsoever. The only downside is the ammo cost. But with what i've been hearing about the accuracy issues of 9mm M&P on this forum and a few others would make me avoid it for the time being. Only thing I'm not crazy about with the .45 is the capacity.

TehLlama
04-23-12, 01:24
If the department is covering ammunition, the .45 would be a stronger contender than if you were paying for it all yourself. For a .45 the capacity is quite good, and I'd have those if 9mm weren't so affordable to practice with.

Shoot all three, decide on which you shoot well. The 9mm FS is truthfully what I shoot best with consistently, and haven't had accuracy issues even with the relatively underpowered ammunition - adding Apex parts just makes it even easier to shoot well, almost embarrassingly so, but not sure what policy will dictate on that one as far as using a DCAEK.

C4IGrant
04-23-12, 08:29
So here's the deal, I just got hired at a new department and I'll be switching from Glocks to M&P's. I have a choice of carrying 9mm, .40, or .45. The Pro/9L is not an option. I shoot a G34 in USPSA production but I just recently bought a 9mm Pro because I believe strongly in competing/training with the same platform I carry to work...for this reason I'll be completely switching from Glock to S&W. I thought I was sold on the 9mm but I have been doing alot of research on M&P's and it seems the 9mm is lacking in accuracy compared to the .40 or .45. I hate the recoil characteristics of .40 so I'm really just trying to decide between 9 and 45. The rangemaster happens to be my best friend so I'm going to shoot all 3 guns before I decide, but I would still enjoy hearing some other opinions.

I would get the 9mm and roll the dice. If it appears to not be accurate enough for you, there will be fitted after market barrels for it.

C4

ggp2jz
04-23-12, 08:33
I would go with the 9, amd I have no accuracy issues with mine, unless the dept provides ammo and then I would go with the 45.

Beat Trash
04-23-12, 08:35
I was issued a 9mm M&P over six years ago. I've had no issues with the gun.

A new Chief is likely to open up the firearms policy and allow privately purchased 45's, most likely Glock or M&P. So I've given the idea of a 45 M&P some thought. But I'm staying with my 9mm.

I assisted with two Ballistic workshops we hosted last November. "Seeing is believing" is in fact true. The difference between the calibers isn't enough to concern me to switch. My shot to shot times are better with the 9mm vs. the 40 vs. the 45. And the difference between magazine capacity for the 9mm vs the 45 is to be considered.

If I spent most of my time around cars, like a State Trooper, or was assigned to a traffic enforcement unit, then I might consider the 40 cal as it does slightly better with intermediate barriers.

But for me, 40 cal isn't an option. I don't see enough difference in terminal effectiveness by going with a 45 to justify giving up the magazine capacity, and the slower shot to shot times.

If you have to purchase and provide your own training ammunition, then by all means, go with the 9mm.

bravofour
04-23-12, 08:47
I enjoy 9mm because of how well I shoot it, and the 17rd capacity is definitely appreciated, I'm just concerned about accuracy. Sending it out for a fitted barrel won't be an option either, but Apex duty kits are currently in the works. My plan is to shoot the 9mm and .45 for groups at 25yds, if the 9mm is just as accurate or maybe just slightly worse I think I'll go that route. Each one has thier pro's and con's and there just isn't a perfect choice for me. I like forward cocking serrations and 1/2'' longer sight radius on the .45, but I also like the light recoil and mag capacity of the 9mm. I asked about carrying 14rd .45 mags and was told that is a no-go.

ggp2jz
04-23-12, 08:53
I say go with what you are more comfortable with,which sounds like the 9mm. I think the accuracy issue is blown way out of proprtion, but that is just me. You can always recover your money if it doesnt work and then you can switch to the 45.

RCI1911
04-23-12, 11:55
I recently picked up a M&P 45 FS and I have to tell you I am thoroughly impressed with it. It is soft shooting (subjective yes, but this is in comparison to a 1911 Government) and quite accurate. With the availability of factory 14-round magazines capacity should not be an issue. If your department allows an Apex kit or trigger job by a gunsmith it would only make the package better. If you have to pay for your own ammunition I can see this as being one of the few downsides to the 45 as well as controllability when shooting one handed. Shoot both and see what you prefer is always the best suggestion.

Striker
04-23-12, 12:23
I think it depends on a few things; first and foremost, what caliber do you shoot best and what are you comfortable with. Also, it depends on what you're working environment is. Are you working in a large city with a lot of cars? Are you working in a rural area? DocGKR did a write up on this awhile back that's excellent.

I think all of these things come into play. Also, Doc wrote another excellent post awhile back about why 9mm. One of the things he said was that when he was injured and truly couldn't use his primary hand, he found that he didn't shoot a .45 off handed only nearly as well as he thought he did. So, when you go to test the guns, make sure you shoot them one handed with, as Kyle Defoor calls it, your other strong hand and you're satisfied with the results.

Stay safe and best of luck.