PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a third 9mm

ggp2jz
04-23-12, 08:36
Im looking to add a third 9mm and Ive been eyeing the HK line and Walther. The choices are down to USP Compact, P30, and PPQ.

rob_s
04-23-12, 08:44
what are your current other two 9mm pistols not doing for you?

If there's not a practical/observed need/shortcoming, buy whatever strikes your fancy. other people can help you resolve shortcomings but only you can decide what strikes your fancy.

ggp2jz
04-23-12, 08:49
Guess I could have clarified the OP. I LOVE my M&P9 and carry it daily so I am not looking at a replacement. The new one is mainly as another suppressor host, range toy, and to try my hand at a different platform. If it replaces the M&P then sobeit,but thats the intent.

djmorris
04-23-12, 08:57
From your choices, the USP is definitely the most proven. But, all three of the guns you listed are definitely quality and worth every penny.

The P30 and PPQ are very similar in some ways - the PPQ has a much better trigger than the P30, while the P30 is built more rugged; uses less plastic parts, etc. I'd also give the edge to the P30 in terms of ergonomics, although the grips are quite similar. Then of course the PPQ is striker fired, rather than the DA/SA USP and P30. I prefer DA/SA but that's just a preference thing, obviously.

I'd take the P30 over a PPQ because I love the build quality of HK's but the PPQ is no slouch either. If Heckler & Koch made a striker fired handgun, it'd be the PPQ. The USPc is also a fine weapon, essentially almost the same as the P30 only a different frame. Obviously a classic.

All three are among the best combat handguns currently available, so this comes down to strictly preference.

Hogsgunwild
04-23-12, 11:03
I own four H&Ks and have owned a PPQ for about one week now. I have taken the PPQ to the range four times and have six or seven hundred rounds through it. I have rented (but do not own) various P30s in .40 S&W and 9MM over the last few years.

After getting accustomed to the PPQ I decided to shoot it along side of a 9MM P30 to see if I felt like I still wanted a P30 or was missing anything by not buying the P30. My first impression was that the P30 felt more solid and
had a more comfortable / ergonomic grip than the PPQ. While both the PPQ and the P30 were plenty accurate enough, I ended my session feeling that the longer and heavier trigger pull of the P30 was just more work to get the same results that you get out of the PPQ accuracy wide. I also felt that I could shoot the PPQ faster than the P30.

I was happy that I rented the P30. As much as I still really like the P30,
I walked out of the range with a feeling of closure and no regrets that I had bought the PPQ over the P30. I felt that I saved several hundred dollars and made the correct decision buying the PPQ as it is more of what I was really wanting from the beginning.

I will mention that, like the Op, my M&Ps are my favorite handgun but of the five that I now own, my fullsize 9MM is absolutely atrocious in the accuracy department and that is why I wanted a different 9MM for a range gun.

Thought that I would add that I own a USP compact in .40 S&W and feel that it doesn't really compare to the P30 or PPQ. I like everything about the P30 and PPQ better.

rsxr22
04-23-12, 19:19
Out of the options you listed, I would definitely go with the PPQ. I can shoot HK's well, but definitely feel that M&P's and Glocks are easier to employ, The PPQ follows more closely to the others than the HK.

Hart
04-23-12, 20:19
My experiences mirror Hogsgunwild. Bought a PPQ, a great shooter right out of the box, but still was curious about the P30. Rented one, a V3, which was a couple of years old and still had a crapy trigger. The PPQ compared to a HK DA/SA, to me, right of the box is a much
better shooter to get used to trigger wise.

Now with that said, today I ran up on a HK with an LEM trigger. The initial trigger pull (DA) was damn near impossible to get off but once the trigger was cocked, it was the smoothest, lightest trigger pull I have experienced. Almost too light. HK wise, that is what I would look for in any model that suits you. Don't be afraid to buy used either, it's cheaper, it's possibly broken in, the hunt can be fun and it'll likely be your favorite shooter. Don worry about scratches and wear marks, it puts character on a gun and you wont worry about putting your own dings on it

davebee456
04-23-12, 21:47
after getting a Glock 19 Austrian Proofed, and a older 2004 new in box Glock 19 i wanted to get a third 9mm...
I bought a PPQ and a like new P30 V3, I shot both of them and sold the P30.
I have never shot as accurate as I have shot with the PPQ,
I love Hk by the way, My favorite 45. is The Hk45C