PDA

View Full Version : Marpat or Multicam

ridgerunner70
04-23-12, 10:38
Looking to purchase some good camo for bow season coming up. Where is a good place to find Marpat or Multicam bdu? Looking for a good quality set.

El Cid
04-23-12, 10:45
What are you hunting? I'm no scientist, but my understanding is that what animals see and what humans see are significantly different. What hides you from one may not hide you from the other.

The patterns you asked about were engineered to hide you from people. That would seem a little dangerous for hunting purposes. I would focus more on camo specifically designed for hunting. Realtree, optifade, mossy oak, etc. There are patterns geared toward the terrain and the animal.

Sry0fcr
04-23-12, 15:52
The patterns you asked about were engineered to hide you from people. That would seem a little dangerous for hunting purposes. I would focus more on camo specifically designed for hunting. Realtree, optifade, mossy oak, etc. There are patterns geared toward the terrain and the animal.

This is probably really, really good advice but you should be able to find Marpat and Multicam from someplace like US Cavalry.

B Cart
04-23-12, 16:24
I would focus more on camo specifically designed for hunting. Realtree, optifade, mossy oak, etc. There are patterns geared toward the terrain and the animal.

Having hunted hard for the last 18 years, I would have to agree with this. I have used many different types of cammo to hunt everything from ducks and geese to deer, elk, antelope, moose, bears, coyotes etc. Most of the big game animals I have taken in close with a bow, and some with a muzzle loader, so I have seen the importance of good camo to get in close.

That being said, I can say the best camo HANDS DOWN for bow hunting, in my opinion, is the leafy wear type cammo. This camo breaks up your silhouette much better than normal camo, and I have consistently gotten much closer to animals with this camo than any others. If you really want good hunting camo (especially for bowhunting), I would try this type of cammo.

http://www.leafycamo.com/field_lite.html

Cabelas usually has a good selection of leafy camo. Hope that helps!

Packman73
04-23-12, 16:30
I'm not a bow hunter but I wear multicam coyote or turkey hunting.

ETA; works well in the desert southwest at least.

Gutshot John
04-23-12, 19:04
I've never worn MARPAT bowhunting, but I did wear a multicam.

In central Vermont (late october), I had a button walk right up to me while I stood (on the ground) in a treeline right around legal light. I was wearing scent control. He spooked when I moved. I didn't take the shot but it would have been the easiest shot I ever had.

Better camo is always better camo, but people tend to overthink it a lot of the time, whole generations of bowhunters wore nothing but plaid shirts and did just fine hunting from the ground.

ridgerunner70
04-23-12, 22:07
Mostly I bowhunt for whitetail and will be in a tree. Around 20'-30' up. I would like to use it also in the spring for turkey. The leafy I would be afraid of affecting the string.

B Cart
04-23-12, 23:09
Mostly I bowhunt for whitetail and will be in a tree. Around 20'-30' up. I would like to use it also in the spring for turkey. The leafy I would be afraid of affecting the string.

I wear an arm guard and it's never been a problem. If you're gonna be high up in a tree I don't think the cammo pattern matters as much.

awm14hp
04-26-12, 09:21

That far off the ground I would think your lack of movement is more important than camo. Either would work.

Vash1023
04-26-12, 10:29
multicam with there digital color fading seems to work the best on people and animals from my experience.

TangoSauce
04-27-12, 10:36
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/TangoSauce/Camo-Comparison.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/TangoSauce/mcbw.png

3 AE
04-27-12, 20:13
Personally, the Bunny Camo in a tree stand would be a lock. Bambi and Bugs are pretty tight. Take advantage of that.

crossgun
04-28-12, 06:20
Have to say after spending more than twenty plus years in the hunting industry that I am sick of camo. From the original Tree Bark to the NEW Mossy this or Real that it’s mainly marketing! It’s about making what you think would look good and not your game. We even reduce the camo pattern on hard goods like rifles and bows because it looks better to our eye and has more shelf appeal.

The number of pattern and the fact that it’s on everything from boots to underwear is an entire industry. Don’t really recall Fred Bear having an issue. Seems I see a lot of pictures taken with guys also wearing Woolrich red and black plaid. Hmmmm

I believe it is about being stealth, knowing the wind and keeping your scent down. Tree stand is also a huge plus!

After owning more camo than I would like I am going to start using Cabalas’ Outfitter camo. It’s like an old woodland pattern only in lighter natural colors. The shapes in it are big and work well when in a stand and silhouetted from the sky. Especially once the leaves are off. As mentioned work on breaking up your shape more than trying to make a fashion statement.

I am also going to explore MultiCam a little more in the hunting woods especially since they a have new version out that has more greens in it. I believe this pattern will be death to turkeys!

Try these guys for more of the military patterns
http://www.desertdeucesurplus.com/index.html

Jack-O
04-28-12, 10:20
Barre Army Navy in Vermont has excellent prices and service. they sell online.

Propper makes the better quality uniform clothing than Tru-Spec IMO. worth the slighty higher price. all seams are double stitched.

As for pattern it seems like Multicam is the game to beat, but the new ATACS green pattern would be good too. It reminds me of the old german WWII "Splinter" pattern which is also a great scheme if you can find any.

Packman73
04-28-12, 17:58
http://www.desertdeucesurplus.com/index.html[/url]

I get all my camo from this guy. I forgot his name (Kevin? I can't remember names for the life of me) but he made an execption for me to do will-call on a few occasions and one time gave my young son and I a tour of a few of his military trucks. He's got quite the collection. Even started a couple up for us. NICE guy.

Watrdawg
04-29-12, 05:51
I started using Multicam for turkey this season and really like it. It matches the area I hunt very well. I haven't seen the Marpat to try it. However right now I'm set of the Multicam for spring turkey

usmcvet
04-29-12, 21:09
I've never worn MARPAT bowhunting, but I did wear a multicam.

In central Vermont (late october), I had a button walk right up to me while I stood (on the ground) in a treeline right around legal light. I was wearing scent control. He spooked when I moved. I didn't take the shot but it would have been the easiest shot I ever had.

Better camo is always better camo, but people tend to overthink it a lot of the time, whole generations of bowhunters wore nothing but plaid shirts and did just fine hunting from the ground.

So that was You in my backyard!:D

Again in my back yard. Barre Army Navy is a few miles from my house. Good people. Always very helpful when I need something. Most of their business is internet based now.

Barre Army Navy in Vermont has excellent prices and service. they sell online.

Propper makes the better quality uniform clothing than Tru-Spec IMO. worth the slighty higher price. all seams are double stitched.

As for pattern it seems like Multicam is the game to beat, but the new ATACS green pattern would be good too. It reminds me of the old german WWII "Splinter" pattern which is also a great scheme if you can find any.

ridgerunner70
04-29-12, 22:13
I think the multicam from what I have gathered from alot of people is really working for spring turkey hunting. From others I've gathered that the ATAC with the light and shade colors for tree stands hunts really blends with your oaks and sky line views.