PDA

View Full Version : Bolt differences

AKDoug
04-23-12, 10:50
I noticed in the now closed thread,"wierd dents on my AR bolt", that the BCM bolt in the photos has the rear corners of the lockup lugs beveled. The bolt in my Daniel Defense does not, it is perfectly square on all lugs.

I am here to learn. Is a bolt without the bevels considered inferior, or just a minor difference in manufacturing that is irrelevant?

Tweak
04-23-12, 15:31
Yeah, I was going to post in that thread before someone decided it was a stupid question and locked it. I've got a bolt print from 1970 that calls the chamfer there. I'd go with BCM being correct more often than not. The chamfers should strengthen the lugs, square corners are the debil.

AKDoug
04-23-12, 16:05
I'm going to run it since D.D. is considered gtg, but it jumped right out at me when I looked at my bolt compared to the one in that thread.

AKDoug
04-23-12, 16:40
Please close. I have found my answer once I applied the correct verbiage to our friend the orange button.

Blankwaffe
04-23-12, 18:20
The halfmoon like cuts at the lug root is an artifact of the machining process of the lug lead in cut.
Not all bolts will have that artifact.Has no bearing on performance or durability.

AKDoug
04-23-12, 19:08
This D.D. bolt that I own has zero chamfer on the back of the bolt lugs. I found another thread that had D.D. bolts with the same thing, so I'm not worrying about it.

hunt_ak
04-23-12, 19:11
Please close. I have found my answer once I applied the correct verbiage to our friend the orange button.
Care to post a link?

Blankwaffe
04-23-12, 19:54
This D.D. bolt that I own has zero chamfer on the back of the bolt lugs. I found another thread that had D.D. bolts with the same thing, so I'm not worrying about it.

My bad,I read over your description and explained what is outlined in the locked thread.

Are you referencing this thread?
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61207&page=3

Do you have a picture of the bolt you have as well?

That said,all my bolts,including DD, have lead in cuts on the bolt lugs.Some with more chamfer than others.
Never had a bolt without lead in cuts...

SteadyUp
04-23-12, 21:07
Seems to me like folks are over-thinking things. I don't want to say a bolt is a bolt, because that isn't the case. But chances are (99% of the time) if it comes from Colt, BCM, DD, etc. it is good to go.

Not putting your questions down, just saying that people sweat the small stuff sometimes.

AKDoug
04-24-12, 10:34
Care to post a link?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61207&page=3

Tweak revived that thread with a great technical drawing of the bolt. My DD bolt does not have lead in cuts on the lugs. I'm certainly not worried about it because the rifle runs great. I just find it one of those interesting oddities that crop up every once in a while about parts consistency in AR's.

**Added on edit** Using my kid's magnifying glass, it appears that my DD bolt does have a tiny lead in cut on the back of the lugs. Nothing near as definitive as on a BCM or Colt bolt, but still there.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.