PDA

View Full Version : An old dog needs some advice.

SpankMonkey
04-23-12, 21:38
Guys here's where I'm at. I've been running and gunning for some time. I have come full circle. I have played with almost every AR rifle you can imagine. I have assembled many quality ARs and played with every type rail, light, foregrip, RDS, scope and sling you can find.

The last few years I have been out of the game of the latest and greatest. I have two rifles which are my go to rifles which flat out just work. There is nothing I would change. I no longer use a railed forearm and have returned to just plastic Colt handguards. I am bored with this platform.

I have been thinking about building something new. I really don't know what to build.

If you guys just wanted to build something nice. What would you build? Money would not be an object, I will take my time and buy the parts over time. I am not in a rush.

I am planning on some training this year. I have also been thinking about getting into AKs.

Help an old guy out. Give me some ideas.

TIA

a0cake
04-23-12, 22:21
A good old "Task and Purpose" would be helpful.

(I can almost hear those who are familiar with that phrase groaning ;) )

It's hard to make recommendations if we don't know what your goals / purposes / needs are. The "right answer" could vary wildly from a 24'' Krieger heavy barrel to an 11.5'' SBR depending on these things.

When you say "something nice" I immediately think of a 16'' Krieger barrel affixed to a Rainier Ultra Match upper and a Leupold 1-6 up top. This setup would make most people here think "WTF?" This is why your input is needed.

snackgunner
04-23-12, 22:33
From what you posted above, and ecspecially this part here, " I have also been thinking about getting into AKs", if I was you and money was not an object, I would go with a 300 blackout build and stick with the AR platform, but go with the bigger round.

Id wait a bit and go with a Noveske 8" barreled upper with NSR rail, and put a nice AAC or Surefire suppressor on it. Would be great for home defense and hunting, and a whole lot of fun to shoot subsonics with a suppressor at the range. Ecspecially if ammo costs isnt a issue for you.

Check out the videos in this thread
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103906

And heres a good post by rsilvers
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1280380&postcount=54

SpankMonkey
04-23-12, 22:43
A good old "Task and Purpose" would be helpful.

(I can almost hear those who are familiar with that phrase groaning ;) )

It's hard to make recommendations if we don't know what your goals / purposes / needs are. The "right answer" could vary wildly from a 24'' Krieger heavy barrel to an 11.5'' SBR depending on these things.

When you say "something nice" I immediately think of a 16'' Krieger barrel affixed to a Rainier Ultra Match upper and a Leupold 1-6 up top. This setup would make most people here think "WTF?" This is why your input is needed.

Your right, I should of thought of that.

I already have a 11.5 carbine and a 16 middy. They are both more then capable of shooting the distances that I would need. It would be rare for me to take a 500 or more yard shot. So I guess assembling something for long range would not be needed.

I'm more of a shoot and scoot kind of guy. I like go fast guns, but my 11.5 works great for that purpose. The middy is a smooth shooting rifle which never gives me any problems. Its great for a fun day at the range or a rifle match.

Like I said not sure which way to go. I would like something new but not sure what. I'm bored with what I have. Everything seems to work with no issues.

I carry Glocks because they work. I built my rifles because they work. Even my shotguns just run. What does a guy do when everything he has just works? It's starting to get boring.

SpankMonkey
04-23-12, 22:55
From what you posted above, and ecspecially this part here, " I have also been thinking about getting into AKs", if I was you and money was not an object, I would go with a 300 blackout build and stick with the AR platform, but go with the bigger round.

Id wait a bit and go with a Noveske 8" barreled upper with NSR rail, and put a nice AAC or Surefire suppressor on it. Would be great for home defense and hunting, and a whole lot of fun to shoot subsonics with a suppressor at the range. Ecspecially if ammo costs isnt a issue for you.

Check out the videos in this thread
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103906

I have been looking at the 300 lately. I need to read more about it to see if it's something I would be interested in. I have been planning on getting back into reloading. I quit several years ago, but with the ammo prices starting to go back up it's time I jumped back into it.

That's a great video. The steel was really singing. His rifle was not even moving. I really need to look into the 300. Thanks for the idea.

I have started looking at some suppressors. My LGS is a title 2 dealer. He has a good selection of cans. I have been thinking about getting one for my 11.5"

DeltaSierra
04-23-12, 23:12
Guys here's where I'm at. I've been running and gunning for some time. I have come full circle. I have played with almost every AR rifle you can imagine. I have assembled many quality ARs and played with every type rail, light, foregrip, RDS, scope and sling you can find.

The last few years I have been out of the game of the latest and greatest. I have two rifles which are my go to rifles which flat out just work. There is nothing I would change. I no longer use a railed forearm and have returned to just plastic Colt handguards. I am bored with this platform.

I have been thinking about building something new. I really don't know what to build.

If you guys just wanted to build something nice. What would you build? Money would not be an object, I will take my time and buy the parts over time. I am not in a rush.

I am planning on some training this year. I have also been thinking about getting into AKs.

Help an old guy out. Give me some ideas.

TIA

Well, considering the fact that I'm trying to sell a couple of my AKs, I'm going to suggest that you get an AK.... :sarcastic:

Really though, if you have everything you need, why keep assembling more rifles....?

IYAAYASwarrior
04-23-12, 23:23
Ever looked in to something like a SCAR?

rackham1
04-23-12, 23:36
Perhaps a bit off from what you meant, but since you kept it pretty open...

If I was bored with ARs and other fighting guns, then I'd get into long-range cowboy shooting with Sharps replica type rifles. My dad started that a while ago after a similar firearm-wanderlust, and now I reload .45-70 for him. It seems to have its own parallel universe of parts, upgrades, "the chart" (so to speak), etc. that a guy could get lost in.

And 400+ grains hitting steel at 500 yards is pretty satisfying. Those guys compete out to 1000 I understand, but that's all I've gotten so far.

rob_s
04-24-12, 05:48
If you want to shoot it, and aren't made of money, the 300 is the wrong direction.

It sounds to me like you're at a loss for purpose as you believe the guns you have take care of all of your "needs". This leaves the new project as a "want". Why not take advantage of that and assemble some new hotness? Test your theory that your old busted really is "good enough".

With all of the parts that come through, and have come through, my hands, my back in black (http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/projects---guns/back-in-black) gun has changed little in nearly 4 years with the exception of removing the Redimag and the old incan Surefire.

Campbell
04-24-12, 06:47
1.I would buy ammo with extra cash...50/50, brass/steel, really a great place to dump money if you have it to spare and like to shoot.

2. As mentioned above, blackpowder rifles can be a joy, and can quickly rid you of extra cash.;) I still struggle at the trigger, but flintlocks will improve your marksmanship as every mistake is front and center...Good luck.

SpankMonkey
04-24-12, 11:06
Well, considering the fact that I'm trying to sell a couple of my AKs, I'm going to suggest that you get an AK.... :sarcastic:

Really though, if you have everything you need, why keep assembling more rifles....?

I don't. I quit building them a few years ago. Just looking for something new. What I have works.

SpankMonkey
04-24-12, 11:10
If you want to shoot it, and aren't made of money, the 300 is the wrong direction.

It sounds to me like you're at a loss for purpose as you believe the guns you have take care of all of your "needs". This leaves the new project as a "want". Why not take advantage of that and assemble some new hotness? Test your theory that your old busted really is "good enough".

With all of the parts that come through, and have come through, my hands, my back in black (http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/projects---guns/back-in-black) gun has changed little in nearly 4 years with the exception of removing the Redimag and the old incan Surefire.

I guess that's where I'm at Rob. I guess I need the new Hotness, something exciting. What I have works, just keeps trucking along with no issues.

What would you build? I am not loaded but I can take my time and save. I have lots of patience's.

Your right the 300 would be a all in or nothing type deal. You could go broke playing with a new caliber, it's BRD all over again.

a0cake
04-24-12, 11:11
I don't. I quit building them a few years ago. Just looking for something new. What I have works.

If you have everything you need and are just looking for a fun new toy (and I won't criticize that...it is completely understandable and I get bit by that bug all the time), then why not take a look at the Larue PredatOBR?

http://www.laruetactical.com/predatOBR_556

Since it's just a "fun" gun anyway, I'd probably go 14.5'' with a pinned Surefire MB556K.

Another option is the upcoming LMT MRP. I believe there's a slick, tubular forearm option on the way shortly. With the MRP, you have some flexibility caliber wise with the barrel change feature.

I'd start poking around on these two platforms and see which floats your boat.

BIGUGLY
04-24-12, 12:30
for tinkering purposes you could always take a crap rifle and make it into something great.

Otherwise could get into longrange shooting with a larger caliber, plenty of little problems to work over before you start getting very small groups at long distance.

3 AE
04-24-12, 12:34
Have you considered a different endeavor other than shooting? Sometimes getting all wrapped up in one particular sport, hobby, etc. can lead to one getting stagnant and missing out on other parts of your life. It's happened to me several times in my life. I wanted that same excitement and drive when tackling something new. There is so much you can do but time is running a bit short. I say branch out and see what happens. Good luck.

markdh720
04-24-12, 15:16
If you're willing to get into long range shooting and money isn't the issue, why not look at a KAC SR25 or a 7.62 LaRue rifle? I think they are up there in hotness.

If you're staying closer to CQB range and want to try something different from ARs, an AK will provide many opportunities of fun. I'm a fan of FALs as well. Both can go long and short range, within reason.

tonyxcom
04-24-12, 15:32
Sounds like you want something that is fun to shoot.

What about getting into a smaller caliber like 22LR? You can build a pretty trick 10/22 for under a grand and shoot 500 rounds of ammo for less than $20.

It probably wont run 100% reliable as your other guns, so you may not get as bored with it as fast either. :)

ASH556
04-24-12, 15:39
How about a 20" BCM A4? That one always seems to get me for the "heck of it" category.

feedramp
04-24-12, 17:28
I would like something new but not sure what. I'm bored with what I have. Everything seems to work with no issues.

I carry Glocks because they work. I built my rifles because they work. Even my shotguns just run. What does a guy do when everything he has just works? It's starting to get boring.

Pick up a new hobby. You've got your guns where you want 'em. Go do something else with the cash that's burning a hole in your pocket.

SpankMonkey
04-24-12, 17:30
Guys all great suggestions. Please keep them coming, it's great to get some new ideas.

SpankMonkey
04-24-12, 17:31
How about a 20" BCM A4? That one always seems to get me for the "heck of it" category.

I would love to make a 20" rifle with a 1/7 pencil barrel. I just don't know who makes such a animal.

SpankMonkey
04-24-12, 17:34
Pick up a new hobby. You've got your guns where you want 'em. Go do something else with the cash that's burning a hole in your pocket.

No not burning a hole. Just bored. I have a revolver out getting worked on and other projects in the works. Just bored with ARs. I know there are several things I have not looked at. Just trying to get some ideas.

JC0352
04-24-12, 17:48
What about putting more toys on what you already have? (if you haven't already)

Maybe get some night vision and mount an IR laser, and go shoot in the dark. Throw a suppressor on there for good measure.

Find ManBearPig!
04-24-12, 19:05
If you are looking for something unique to build in the AR platform, then this is certainly something that could interest you:

http://www.nodakspud.com/images/NDS32-2.jpg

It's a NoDak Spud "Trigger Charging Handle" upper receiver, and the first thing I think when I see it is "non-bullpup FAMAS".

I have absolutely no experience with it, and I have doubts about its practicality, but I can almost 100% guarantee you that no one else at your local range will have anything like it.

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

If you scroll down the page I linked you to, you will find it.

mallowpufft
04-24-12, 19:20
If I was buying right now AND had money to spend beyond a basic carbine I would spend my hard earned pennies on an MRP. Bored with the caliber? Just buy another barrel and undo a few screws.
My LGS owner had one and was showing me his personal stash last week. He's currently waiting on the 300blk shorty bbls to be in stock so he can order one for his.
He also has Remington 300 AAC starting at 14.00 per 20.
He made a persuasive case for the MRP. If I hadn't just signed a contract for new Windows on my house (and wanted to sleep in the dog house for the rest of the year) I would have plunked my pennies down and had him get me set up.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

johnpuga1982
04-24-12, 19:52
Sounds like you're ready to go the AK route. Why not give that a try?

badness
04-24-12, 21:33
get a high powered bolt gun in .338 lapua or something and start to learn how to shoot at extreme long range. Long range shooting vs running and gunning are so different that it might rejuvenate yourself as far as shooting.

MOA
04-24-12, 21:53
I also recommend long range. It's the world I come from. Hard to get bored with. Lots of fun stuff. Mil dots, math, handloading, ballistics. Man I'm going to have to sneak out to the 600 yard range. You could even build a long range tactical AR. Maybe in 308. Good optics. Lots of fun. I love f class, but that's a bolt gun game.

n517rv
04-24-12, 22:19
OP, if you're bored with the reliability of your current ARs how about a DPMS Sportical and 1000 rounds of Tula?

Sorry... I couldn't pass that up.

I like the idea of a LaRue 7.62, but that isn't really a slow build option as I don't believe you can buy stripped lower from them.

MistWolf
04-25-12, 10:33
You could build a FAL

Steyr
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/StG58/StG58002.jpg
Para
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Para%20Mods/DSC_0113.jpg
Imbel
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Brazilian%20Beauty/DSC_00013.jpg
Next Up: Argy
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Argentina%20Girl/DSC_0001.jpg