PDA

View Full Version : Does Colt Make A Threaded 1911 Barrel...?

SteyrAUG
04-24-12, 00:51
Finally getting into suppressing a few 1911s.

I have a Series 70 and a Colt Commander that I want to get threaded barrels for. Obviously I'd like to stay all factory but not even sure Colt ever made factory threaded barrels.

Does anyone know if they did? If so where would be the best place to find them. If not, what is the next best bet...BarSto?

majette
05-02-12, 23:33
NO! i contacted the 'custom shop' about one for my rail gun as the storm lake i had would not fit. they suggested nowlin. they would not even do a longer length nm barrel i could have fit and threaded for my rail gun.

i think they are missing the boat on offering this. while the total sales might be a small percentage there is a market segment that would make it profitable. unless a special run was asked for by a distributor like lipseys or talo, mere consumers are out of luck because we suck and colt hates us.

SteyrAUG
05-03-12, 00:25
Kinda what I suspected, thanks.

Any idea why Nowlin threads their barrels back so far?

http://www.nowlinguns.com/product-info.php?Nowlin_Gun_Barrel_Parts-pid208.html

MarkG
05-03-12, 07:57
they would not even do a longer length nm barrel i could have fit and threaded for my rail gun.

Colt is doing you a huge favor NOT offering threaded barrels.

i think they are missing the boat on offering this. while the total sales might be a small percentage there is a market segment that would make it profitable.

The notion that there would be any recognizable profit to them by offering threaded barrels is farcical.

Kinda what I suspected, thanks.

Any idea why Nowlin threads their barrels back so far?

http://www.nowlinguns.com/product-info.php?Nowlin_Gun_Barrel_Parts-pid208.html

They are threaded (0.575-40) for a compensator (read race gun), not a suppressor. I believe you will find that ALL .45 ACP threaded barrels are either 0.578-28 or M16X1.

Suppressed 1911's are extremely problematic. You will be very lucky if you are able to find the right barrel & suppressor combination that operates reliably. Suppressed 1911's that do run shoot themselves to pieces.