PDA

View Full Version : Need help from Marlin Levergun Owners

wintermute
04-24-12, 08:51
I was at a local shop yesterday checking out their new and used lever guns. I'm gravitating towards a Marlin 336 in .30-30. They had a 1960 J.C. Higgins Model 45 in .30-30 for $275. As I understand it, this was the Sears Roebuck-branded version of the 336, and is mechanically identical, but has a fugly stock and no hood on the front sight. It appears to be in good to very good condition, with almost all of the original blue in-place, and a very light, smooth, pre-lawyered-up trigger. For that price, should I pass?

Patric
04-29-12, 18:10
You can get newer 336's in .30-30 for the same price. I would pass.
There isn't anything about it that would make $275 a steal.

Hold out for one with a stock you like. I passed on a newer one last week for $325 that had a decent scope and the guy was going to throw in 3 boxes of shells.

M4C
07-02-12, 13:03
One thing to consider is that the newer ones (82 or so?) will have the stupid cross bolt safety. Not needed on a lever gun, and gets bumped to safe at the worst times.

Army Chief
07-02-12, 13:41
One thing to consider is that the newer ones (82 or so?) will have the stupid cross bolt safety. Not needed on a lever gun, and gets bumped to safe at the worst times.

Concur, and the build/component quality of the older guns tends to be better than current production, as well.

AC

M4C
07-03-12, 01:41
Concur, and the build/component quality of the older guns tends to be better than current production, as well.

AC

Absolutely. The Marlin name is now owned by Remington/Freedom Group/Cerberus, and the North Haven plant closed down. I believe some, if not all, production has moved to the Remington plant in Mayfield KY. That seems like a well run plant, but when I visited before the expansion that moved Marlin in, it seemed like they were relegated to the "cheapo" end of the Remington line. I hope they will do well by Marlin, and they certainly can if they try, but the anecdotal consumer opinions I've seen so far since the aquisition have not been very promising, even post buyout/pre move.

When I prowl gun stores/pawn shops/gun shows, I only look at the older ones (pre cross bolt safety). If looking for utility as opposed to collectability I would not hesitate to by a "store brand" Marlin such as JC Higgins, Sears, etc.

brickboy240
07-03-12, 11:40
The overall build quality of the earlier Marlins (...and Winchesters, Colts...and so on) is much better than on the later guns.

If you could get the rifle for 225-250 and plan on replacing the stocks (which is totally do-able) it might be worth picking up, since you will get a nicely made lever gun with no cross-bolt safety or rebounding hammer and a better trigger.

Both of my Marlins in 357 and 44 are earlier 1894s without the cross bolt safety as is my 22lr Model 39. If you ask me. the earlier Marlins are worth owning and the later ones are average at best. I would NEVER sell any of my early Marlins...they are that good!

As with most traditional America gun makers...always think "older is better" and stick with guns made from the 60s and earlier.

- brickboy240

signal4l
07-03-12, 13:42
Check with Joe Barnsfather at Superior Firearms regarding the Sears/Marlin clone. He worked over my 1894C and did a great job.

Mine was a new production gun and was a boat anchor. It should have never left the factory. I will only buy old Marlins from now on

M4C
07-28-12, 16:32
Last week I found a Ted Williams Model 100, which is a Winchester Model 94 made for Sears, and was able to pick it up for $250. I beleive it's around 1964-1965 production and in fantastic condition. A comparable Winchester 94 would have cost much more and not been any better gun! If looking for a shooter instead of a collector piece there is treasure to be found in "hardware guns" with names like J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Western Field, Western Auto, Glenfield, Sears, etc.

SeriousStudent
07-29-12, 00:59
Agree with the previous post. When I was 13, I got my first deer rifle. It was a used Ted Williams 30-06, with a Weaver K-4 scope. I think my grandfather paid $125 for it?

A very well-made rifle, I wish I still had it. It made marvelous jerky. ;)

nineteenkilo
07-30-12, 14:09
If looking for a shooter instead of a collector piece there is treasure to be found in "hardware guns" with names like J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Western Field, Western Auto, Glenfield, Sears, etc.

My Sears Model 1 Bolt .22 would agree with you. It's a gem!

On a side note, you might also consider looking for a Marlin 30AS which was identical to the 336 in every way except the stock is a bit more plain. Sometimes they can be found for $200 or so and are fantastic lever guns. I have two of them that were bought new in the late 80's.

OMD
08-04-12, 19:00
Those down marketed guns are still better quality than the new production. The Remington produced stuff was utter crap when they started up and only now are getting the QC back up. I'd still avoid - especially for the current prices. Plus you can pick up many of those older guns with a C&R and avoid the extra fees and dros. The Ted Williams have always been sleepers.