PDA

View Full Version : Virginia CHL - Original Needed to Carry?

Wake27
04-24-12, 17:37
I wasn't able to find anything on here or the VSP website so I'm assuming its ok, but does anyone know if you are allowed to carry a copy of your CHL on you instead of the original while armed?

mallowpufft
04-24-12, 17:58
I'm on my phone or I'd check for you but VCDL.org may have the answer. If not, a quick email to them should answer the question.
Don't know why you wouldn't just carry the original with you, though.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

tb-av
04-24-12, 19:02
The person issued a permit or in possession of a de facto permit must have the permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and must display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

Above is from State Police.

Do you carry a copy of your drivers license? Same thing.

A de facto permit is paperwork you are issued if for some reason your actual permit takes over 45 days to get to you.

Wake27
04-24-12, 19:58
Above is from State Police.

Do you carry a copy of your drivers license? Same thing.

A de facto permit is paperwork you are issued if for some reason your actual permit takes over 45 days to get to you.

Hmm, didn't see that... Good point.

StrikeFace
04-26-12, 10:39
...there is no way in hell anybody could tell the difference between a Xerox copy permit and an original after you sign it and laminate it. The VA CCW card, from what I've seen from renewing it twice, looks like it was printed out on an '80s laser jet that needs a new toner cartridge. It's black and white, horribly smudged state seal graphics with off-center fonts of various sizes and the signature is always like a doctor's chicken scratch. They print out dozens of them on the same sheet of 8.5"x11" and have some little old lady at the courthouse cut them using a giant paper cutter.

This isn't a product of the RealID Act, people.

I carry the original, sure, but let's be realistic: VA, unlike other states that issue a detailed plastic card, doesn't seem to be too interested in creating a unique CCW credential and, as such, basically issues you a Xerox copy. I'm not a genius, but it seems like as long as the info matches up with your driver's license and the number on the top right corresponds to your driver's license info in the system, you're good to go.

As the card itself states, the CCW credential by itself is useless without a driver's license or other photo ID.

Just an observation. Don't mean anything by it.

Wake27
04-26-12, 11:11
...there is no way in hell anybody could tell the difference between a Xerox copy permit and an original after you sign it and laminate it. The VA CCW card, from what I've seen from renewing it twice, looks like it was printed out on an '80s laser jet that needs a new toner cartridge. It's black and white, horribly smudged state seal graphics with off-center fonts of various sizes and the signature is always like a doctor's chicken scratch. They print out dozens of them on the same sheet of 8.5"x11" and have some little old lady at the courthouse cut them using a giant paper cutter.

This isn't a product of the RealID Act, people.

I carry the original, sure, but let's be realistic: VA, unlike other states that issue a detailed plastic card, doesn't seem to be too interested in creating a unique CCW credential and, as such, basically issues you a Xerox copy. I'm not a genius, but it seems like as long as the info matches up with your driver's license and the number on the top right corresponds to your driver's license info in the system, you're good to go.

As the card itself states, the CCW credential by itself is useless without a driver's license or other photo ID.

Just an observation. Don't mean anything by it.

Good to know. At first I assumed it was just a piece of paper but yesterday started wondering if it was a more legit card like a license.

StrikeFace
04-26-12, 11:23
Good to know. At first I assumed it was just a piece of paper but yesterday started wondering if it was a more legit card like a license.

It's a friggin' Xerox with a unique CHL number on the top right. Seriously. It basically features the same info as your driver's license minus the picture and other RealID Act features that make it a protected credential. No foil, no seals, no codes, no see-through window, no fancy anything. It's a poorly-designed piece-of-paper credential.

Lincoln7
04-26-12, 14:07
I carry a laminated copy of my CHP to protect the original from deteriorating away. 5 years is a long time for a piece of paper to last in your pocket/wallet. When my copy wears out, I make another.

Evil Bert
07-02-12, 15:37
I carry a laminated copy of my CHP to protect the original from deteriorating away. 5 years is a long time for a piece of paper to last in your pocket/wallet. When my copy wears out, I make another.

I laminated mine the day I got it. When I received my flimsy paper permit, I immediately realized that it will never last in my wallet very long. laminate it and stuff it in there.

Worried about losing it? Just go to the court house and request a new copy. Should be able to walk out with it in hand.

tb-av
07-02-12, 17:21
Mine is signed by the Clerk in blue ink and it has an embossed County Seal. The blue ink is almost florescent but the seal is rather faint.

It's not simply a laser print or quick copy.

I laminate mine when I get it. Put it in my wallet and take it out maybe twice every five years.

I think I would rather have the real thing with me and a copy at home in the event I lost it and needed temporary proof.