PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR A-5 with a I-mod stock.

Underwood 43
04-24-12, 19:51
Don't shoot me if it has been asked, tried using search didn't find the answer to my question. I know the A5 receiver is longer if you use an I-mod stock how much room or gap between stock and castle nut when collapsed? Also will it allow you to use all seven positions?

SteveL
04-24-12, 19:55
IIRC the Imod will use positions 2-7 on the A5 receiver extension. You can't slide it into the very shortest position (position 1).

Underwood 43
04-24-12, 19:59
So how long would oal be with it collapsed?

jstyer
04-24-12, 20:14
The same length as if it was on a regular buffer tube at position 2...

Underwood 43
04-24-12, 20:25
Thanks for Answers.

SteadyUp
04-24-12, 20:27
I posted these images in another thread (can't find it now). They show the stock in the fully collapsed position on an A5 receiver extension. Note that the stocks are NOT locked in the first position on the receiver extension, they are merely collapsed as far as possible.

Vltor IMod

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l564/BME5101982/AR-15/A5%20Receiver%20Extension/IMG_1589.jpg

Magpul MOE

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l564/BME5101982/AR-15/A5%20Receiver%20Extension/IMG_1591.jpg

Standard M4

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l564/BME5101982/AR-15/A5%20Receiver%20Extension/IMG_1590.jpg

An Undocumented Worker
04-24-12, 21:04
You can also get a 6 position A5 reciever extension that eliminates the first notch so you don't have the possibility of collapsing a stock to the point that the reciever extension pokes out the back end. This option is there for those who want to use a standard sized stock such as the milspec stock or a CTR/Moe equivilant.

SteadyUp
04-24-12, 23:05
You can also get a 6 position A5 reciever extension that eliminates the first notch so you don't have the possibility of collapsing a stock to the point that the reciever extension pokes out the back end. This option is there for those who want to use a standard sized stock such as the milspec stock or a CTR/Moe equivilant.

Where is the 6 position A5 receiver extension sold? I checked Vltor's website, and there is only one A5 rec. ext. for sale. I didn't know they existed. So far I haven't had any issues with not being able to fully collapse the butt stock in the first position of the receiver extension. I use either a CTR or MOE stock, just as an fyi.

*edit*

Nevermind, I found it. It's listed under the AR10 section of Vltor's web store. Link: http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/VLRE-10A5SR.aspx

Hmac
04-25-12, 02:37
http://SSEquine.net/imodA5s.jpg

samuse
04-25-12, 20:16
I don't have an Imod, but I use a regular A5 extension with an LMT SOPMOD.

With the stock all the way collapsed, the rubber buttpad hits the RE and you can shoot with it like that, it doesn't move around. You can also mortar the gun like that, won't hurt anything.

SteadyUp
04-25-12, 20:36
I don't have an Imod, but I use a regular A5 extension with an LMT SOPMOD.

With the stock all the way collapsed, the rubber buttpad hits the RE and you can shoot with it like that, it doesn't move around. You can also mortar the gun like that, won't hurt anything.

The only thing I had to be cautious of when mortaring my IMod with the A5 was to be sure that the buttplate of the stock contacted the ground inline with the A5 tube (in other words, hit the "top" of the butt plate, and not the "bottom"). The rubber pad on the IMod is secured by a teeny screw, and I managed to rip the screw out of the rubber by not mortaring the carbine straight up and down. No big deal though, the pad was only about $20.

Shiz
04-25-12, 20:50
Sorry for a little thread drift...

Dumb question, as I don't know much about the a5. Can you use the a5 receiver extension, before you have the RE weight and spring? Will it work OK with a carbine buffer weight and spring?

Bravo has the tubes, but the springs/weights are OOS.

I am guessing that I should order the tube, and wait on the install until the other parts are in stock. But I hope I am wrong.

Not sure why they sell them separately.

SteadyUp
04-25-12, 20:56

Dumb question, as I don't know much about the a5. Can you use the a5 receiver extension, before you have the RE weight and spring? Will it work OK with a carbine buffer weight and spring?

I am guessing that I should order the tube, and wait on the install until the other parts are in stock. But I hope I am wrong.

You need to use a complete A5 system (receiver extension, buffer, and spring), you risk damaging your gun if you run a carbine buffer in an A5 tube. I'd guess they're sold separately in case someone wants to buy a heavier than stock A5 buffer.

By the way, Vltor currently has everything in stock: http://www.vltorstore.com/categories/Receiver-Extensions/

SteveL
04-25-12, 21:13

Just to expand a little on what was already posted above, the A5 receiver extension and buffer are longer than a standard carbine receiver extension and buffer and therefore can only be used together. You can not mix and match the A5 parts with standard receiver extensions or buffers.

Shiz
04-25-12, 22:08
Thanks Steve and Steady, I suspected as much, but thought I had better ask to be sure.

Elziet
04-26-12, 17:02
The AR10/A5SR tube (on the Vltor website) is described as slightly longer than a traditional AR-15 receiver extension tube with six locking positions and is designed to work with a MilSpec, collapsible stock. It must also be used with the Vltor A5 Buffer & Spring.

Could this tube be used instead of the A5 unit?

Col_Crocs
04-26-12, 17:39
Yes. It's still an A5 RE but with only 5 pos. instead of 6, hence, the SHort Rail designation.

SteadyUp
04-26-12, 17:57
The AR10/A5SR tube (on the Vltor website) is described as slightly longer than a traditional AR-15 receiver extension tube with six locking positions and is designed to work with a MilSpec, collapsible stock. It must also be used with the Vltor A5 Buffer & Spring.

That receiver extension can substitute the normal A5 receiver extension, but you still have to run the A5 buffler and rifle length spring, as the item description states.