PDA

View Full Version : Used Barrel/Bolt Combo, New Receiver

DoubleJ
04-24-12, 23:13
Do I need to check headspacing? Got a new upper today, put my old BCG and barrel on it, so headspacing should be the same as it always was, yeah?

And yes, I did a search, and found lots of information, but not this question specifically.

5pins
04-25-12, 08:27
Yes the head space is the same.

skullworks
04-25-12, 09:19
What 5pins said. And the reason for this is that the bolt locks into the barrel extension - and not in the receiver as on most bolt actions - therefore the headspacing remains the same as long as the barrel extension isn't removed (and the only reason I see for removing the barrel extension is if the lugs have sheared, but then you probably need a new bolt anyways).

Tweak
04-25-12, 10:32
If anything the headspace has grown with use. If I was building it I would still check the GO dimension just to be sure (I've found defective ejectors that way) and the FIELD just out of habit. I treat each tear down as an inspection opportunity. You could safely skip both gages depending on how many rounds you have through it.

DoubleJ
04-25-12, 19:07
If anything the headspace has grown with use. If I was building it I would still check the GO dimension just to be sure (I've found defective ejectors that way) and the FIELD just out of habit. I treat each tear down as an inspection opportunity. You could safely skip both gages depending on how many rounds you have through it.

I don't know the round count on the original build, so maybe I'll track down a local guy that can help me check the headspace. My main concern was that it will still be the same as it was with the old receiver, but looking at it from underneath, it makes sense that the bolt and barrel interact separately from the receiver, thanks all.

skullworks
04-26-12, 07:13
I would say that when faced with the need to replace the upper receiver, it would be adviceable to check the headspace to verify whether or not the barrel also needs to be replaced.

Tatatatatatapatalk 2

skullworks
04-26-12, 07:17
I would say that when faced with the need to replace the upper receiver, it would be adviceable to check the headspace to verify whether or not the barrel also needs to be replaced prior to sticking it onto the new receiver.

Tatatatatatapatalk 2