PDA

View Full Version : Similar Size Pistol like G19?

kisskaren
04-25-12, 02:10
I have a gen3 Glock 19, just right size, really love it!
Recently I want to purchase another striker-fired gun. I tried the new FNS-9, I am OK with that manual safety but the grip is a little longer for ccw. I don't like PPQ, hope S&W will release a medium size M&P. Any other similar size pistol, just like my G19?
Thanks!

Aaron_B
04-25-12, 06:21
Just out of curiosity, why change?

The G19 is the right fit for you and you really love it. You could pick up another one incase that one becomes unservicable, that way you are not left with out a firearm. Or, you could get more ammo and training using the platform you already love. Just a few thoughts.

Aaron

dukduk
04-25-12, 06:22
Springfield XdM

rsxr22
04-25-12, 06:52
There are not any other guns that i can think of that rival the G19. There are similar size, but most will be like the m&pc. It will feel like the 19, but when you are doing reloads, you will lose some grip over the gun. My advice would be to stick with what you got. For years, I tried to find a nicer shooting, easier gun to manipulate than a Glock, but it just never happened. One of the best things that i ever did was settle in on 2 and only 2 platforms. That is 1911 variants and Glocks. I compete with a 5" WC and G34 and carry an EMP9 and G19.

Carniemedic
04-25-12, 08:00
I think you should try the HK P2000. Other than the difference that one is a striker fired and one is a hammer fired pistol the size is about the same. I know there is quite a price jump between the two but the life time warranty of the HK is worth it to me.

Sry0fcr
04-25-12, 08:46
Just out of curiosity, why change?

The G19 is the right fit for you and you really love it. You could pick up another one incase that one becomes unservicable, that way you are not left with out a firearm. Or, you could get more ammo and training using the platform you already love. Just a few thoughts.

Aaron

And right off the bat, we have the correct answer. (http://pistol-training.com/archives/70)

sammage
04-25-12, 09:25
And right off the bat, we have the correct answer. (http://pistol-training.com/archives/70)

Amen. When I went looking for a spare pistol, I asked myself if there were any issues I had with my G19. So I found a police trade in.

NeoNeanderthal
04-25-12, 09:28
If you want something similar but different then i would get a Glock 17 and grip chop it down to g19 sized. You've then got a a grip the size of a 19, it takes 19 or 17 mags but has a slightly longer barrel and sight radius.

Barrel length doesn't affect conceal-ability IWB anyway.

No gun is like a glock. The closest is an M&P but even that- the grip size is different, the grip angle, placement of mag release and the triggers are completely different.

okie john
04-25-12, 10:17

If there's something you don't like about the Glock, identify what it is and find the pistol that doesn't have that issue. If you really like your Glock, get another one.

If you just want to buy different guns to learn about them, get whatever you want.

Okie John

Bulldog7972
04-25-12, 10:46
Disregard.

paul556
04-25-12, 12:01
walther ppq,a little bigger but you can use cheaper magnum research mags or even get 17rders for it. you also won't get smacked in the face with brass. with all the problems the gen3 and 4 glocks have been having i'm very glad i didn't buy another g19

Tzook
04-25-12, 13:06
No reason to change, get more proficient with that pistol.

You can always get a different gun to fulfill a different need, but there's no reason to replace what you love. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Striker
04-25-12, 13:24
Recently I want to purchase another striker-fired gun. I tried the new FNS-9, I am OK with that manual safety but the grip is a little longer.
I don't like PPQ, hope S&W will release a medium size M&P. Any other similar size pistol, just like my G19?
Thanks!

If you're curious about different guns, why not just rent something when you're at the range?

kisskaren
04-25-12, 14:13
Thanks guys! I have been reading about the extractor issue with the late model Gen 3 G19's.

For me, the size of G19 is just right, so I really want to find some similar size reliable 9mm pistols:
--PPQ do you guys think its trigger too light for CCW?
--FNS longer grip
--P2000 LEM
--Get another Gen 3 G19, drop in an old/Lone Wolf extractor ?

Beat Trash
04-25-12, 17:35
Thanks guys! I have been reading about the extractor issue with the late model Gen 3 G19's.

For me, the size of G19 is just right, so I really want to find some similar size reliable 9mm pistols:
--FNS longer grip
--P2000 LEM
--Gen 3 G19 drop in an old/Lone Wolf extractor ?
The PPQ trigger isn't too light for CCW.

The P2000LEM is a nice sized gun, but it is a different type of trigger system. I wouldn't want to switch back and forth from a LEM to a Glock. Pick a gun and train hard with that system.

I guess the question I have for you is, are you having any issues with your Glock 19? While there are guns with issues, not every gun has had problems. (If the issues were that consistent, it would be a lot easier to diagnose.) you may have a Glock that is good to go.

Sry0fcr
04-25-12, 17:58

--FNS longer grip
--P2000 LEM
--Gen 3 G19 drop in an old/Lone Wolf extractor ?

Some good advice is being thrown your way and you're either not listening or it's missing the mark. Please explain what you're trying to accomplish with this purchase. If you're still buying a gun just to buy guns that's fine, just say so but there's probably forums more suited to that attitude than this one.

kisskaren
04-25-12, 18:05
The PPQ trigger isn't too light for CCW.

The P2000LEM is a nice sized gun, but it is a different type of trigger system. I wouldn't want to switch back and forth from a LEM to a Glock. Pick a gun and train hard with that system.

I guess the question I have for you is, are you having any issues with your Glock 19? While there are guns with issues, not every gun has had problems. (If the issues were that consistent, it would be a lot easier to diagnose.) you may have a Glock that is good to go.

I purchased my G19 year 2009, runs great, my wife is using it recently. So I am going to purchase another new G19 or find a similar size pistol for myself, as concealable as G19.

Frailer
04-25-12, 19:00

--FNS longer grip
--P2000 LEM

None of the above. If you really like your Glock 19 get another one and don't do a damn thing to it unless you experience a problem.

I'm *not* denying the problems others are having, but some of us have put thousands of rounds through our Gen 3 Glocks without issue.

I will, in the spirit of total honesty, caveat the above statement with the fact that my early-2011 Gen3 Glock 17 did throw the last empty case out of the one and only magazine my son shot through it into his forehead, but I blame that on the fact that he's an M&P guy. ;)

Beat Trash
04-25-12, 20:05
Then I would go out and buy another Glock 19. Same ammunition, magazines, holster as what you currently have. You are familiar with the Glock, so go forth. I would get either an older gun, or the newest test fired dated gun I could find.

Shoot the crap out of it. If it's not broke, don't try to fix it. The Glock 19 is an excellent size package for serious CCW. That you are using it as a base to compare other potential guns to is what in Law Enforcement is called "a clue".

Striker
04-25-12, 23:51

--FNS longer grip
--P2000 LEM

Pre 2010 Gen 3 Glock 19 or buy new and just see what happens. Not everyone is having problems, though when you read the internet, it sure seems like it. If you do have problems, I would call Glock about it. They're very easy to work with. The only drawback is they want you to pay shipping costs when sending the gun to them. If you don't have problems, I wouldn't change the extractor and or ejector just to change.

If you're uncomfortable with buying another Glock, and since you ruled out the M&P, I probably would choose an HK of some type. While I've never shot the LEM trigger and the DA/SA takes a bit of getting use to, it's hard discount a handgun that's as accurate, reliable and durable as HKs have proven to be.

Guinnessman
04-26-12, 06:50
Since you are a fan of the G19, I think you should go shopping for another one.

I own a 2009 G19 and a Nov 2011 G19. They both run great, and if I find the opportunity to buy another pre 2010 G19, I will jump on it in a heartbeat.

The Apex parts should be a game changer this summer for the Glocks. Hopefully their aftermarket parts solve the issues that the newer Glocks are encountering.

Aries144
04-26-12, 12:53
If you shoot well with a glock, then I'd simply get another one. There isn't another handgun that is as compact, light, and robust with the same capacity.

Get another glock19, a few extra mags, some replacement springs/parts, a decent ccw holster and call it good.

If it works for everyone involved, it's much better to stick to one system. That way you only need one type of mag, replacement parts, ammo, etc.

Also, if you are ever involved in a shooting, you're likely going to lose your weapon to the evidence locker for a long time. Having an identical model will allow you to continue your routine for that period without retraining.

Hogsgunwild
04-26-12, 13:34
Although I prefer my PPQ over the G19, you should be aware that the grip and total height of the PPQ is a good bit taller thus it is not quite as concealable as the G19 is.

The P2000 is an excellent gun also and closer to the G19 in size but
the LEM trigger is a step backwards from the Glock trigger as far as I am concerned. If you Google that topic you will find there are many more than myself that have found that out the expensive way. I really like my light LEM P2000 but there is just a lot to be said for the Glock trigger when comparing the two. The PPQ trigger is even better but you don't gain too much over the Glock's trigger.

A majority of the time I carry my M&P compact 9MM. It conceals better than the Glock 19 but as well as the grip works for me it does not give you as much to hold onto and does not work for everyone.
The G19 is really the perfect size all-around gun for concealment and heavy use as well. When I first bought my M&P fullsize and compact 9MMs, I really wished that they made the size in-between the two (G19 size). Since then, I have found that I shoot the M&P compact as well as nearly any gun and am spoiled by the size, so, I could live without the midsize M&P.

Just my opinions and nothing like renting guns at the range to see what seems best for you.
Sounds like sticking with the Glock is wise.

kisskaren
04-26-12, 13:58
Really appreciate for all the input, gentlemen!

I've made up my mind, will try to buy a brand new G19(Gen3), and test it. :p

Aries144
04-26-12, 18:23
Although I prefer my PPQ over the G19, you should be aware that the grip and total height of the PPQ is a good bit taller thus it is not quite as concealable as the G19 is.

Have you looked at them with mags inserted? There's only a 1/4" difference in height with mags inserted.

I've found absolutely no difference in concealability with Raven IWB holsters.

SteveS
05-06-12, 16:26
Gen 3 glocks are always a good bet!!!

ffhounddog
05-16-12, 21:53
I did the opposite I went with a HK USPc LEM. I have two P2000 and 2 Glock 19 and 2 G23s. I would stick with the Glock 19 for your purposes and when you get a chance get a third. I had a third G19 but I asked for some gun smithing for a glock smith and he made it un useable for my liking. He mixed up my order with another persons. I raded it for another handgun. Best option is get another Glock 19 or even a Glock 26 and then get another Glock. My future wife carries a Glock 22 so you could go with a Glock 17. I shoot the G17 and G26 better than the Glock 19 except the G19 gen4.

MegademiC
05-17-12, 00:39
Go with the glock. Even the ones with problems are more reliable than a LOT of pistols out there. IF you have a problem, you can get the parts needed, or pick them up and just hold on to them "just in case".

Since people are mentioning the hk2000 - I'll throw my two cents in. I dryfired a p30 a couple times a few months ago when I was considering buying one (non lem) trigger was pretty nice for a da/sa IMO (I have a cz that has been converted to SAO). I recently dry-fired a hk p2k lem - it was HORRIBLE. Im one of the "dont worry about the trigger" guys. It was pretty much a deal breaker. IMO its like a glock trigger, but 2x longer pull, then a nice crisp 15lb break after that. (slight exageration, but not much - maybe 12lb). Maybe it was the heaviest version they have - maybe I got a bad one, but I actually thought the hammer was down and I had to try again. That gun humiliated me.:suicide:

Yes, it was just dry-fire so my opinion carries little weight, but thought I'd share. I guess I could master it OK, but I actually prefer the glock striker tiggers to standard SA triggers(but not the really nice ones.) Plus the glock is quite a bit less - and for you, you already have experience and gear for it.

Urban_Redneck
05-17-12, 06:35
I put 200 rounds through my new Caracal F Tuesday, I ordered extra mags and a custom kydex holster yesterday. I'm thinking I'll buy a Caracal compact in the next month or two.

They are worth a look

Jim

ralph
05-17-12, 08:15
I own some of the pistol mentioned..HK P2k (with a light LEM), Walther PPQ, and most recently a Glock 19 (first Glock I've owned)

HK P2k w/LEM.. This pistol is probably closest to the g19 in size. It's very reliable, and very accurate. The LEM trigger is, an aquired taste, some do well with it right off the bat, and others struggle. I struggled..I did manage (with lots of dry-fire practice) to get reasonably well with it. The LEM is NOT for everybody. Since the P2k is a DA/SA pistol AIWB is possible with it, (something I'd think twice about with a Glock or a PPQ). The downsides to the P2K are few..Limited sight options, expensive, few sources of parts outside of HK..

Walther PPQ.. This is one of the few pistols that I've shot well with right out of the box.. The trigger is nothing short of excellant. Slightly larger than the G19, It is very accurate, and in over 2500 rnds on mine, no failures of any kind..I haven't found the muzzel flip to be a big a problem as many complain about. no worse than the G19, (at least for me) The downside to the PPQ,is of course the price of the mags..at close to $50 a pop, they are expensive..(mags for my P2k are actually cheaper) Sight options are presently limited, However, I figure the aftermarket will catch up soon.Decent holsters can also be found without too much problem. Parts.. this is something that is somewhat of a unknown..S&W is currently Walther's importer, and also takes care of parts..Nothing on my PPQ has broke or wore out, so, I don't really know how easy/difficult getting replacement parts would be. Currently, As far as I know, S&W is the sole source of replacement parts for the PPQ.

Glock 19.. I bought this about 3 weeks ago, It's my first Glock,(Gen 3) I had sold a FS M&P 9 that had accuracy issues, I wasn't going to put any more money into it, so down the road it went..The Glock so far, has really surprised me. The grip was, at first, a little different than anything else I was used to. The first time out at the range with it I was really surprised.. I did very well with it..Like the PPQ, it seems to be one of those pistols that I meshed with right off the bat. I did have a few cases bop me in the head, I replaced the stock extractor with a LW unit, and that made a improvement, It hasn't completely stopped, but it does it alot less. I'll be watching Randy Lee's progress with his Glock extractors, With a little over 400 rnds through it I haven't had any failures..Accuracy is also quite decent. One thing that surprises me the most is the availabilty of parts..Googleing "Glock parts" on my computer, brought up what seems like everybody and their brother selling parts.. So far, the few things I changed or will soon change are: 3.5lb connector, the LW extractor Vickers mag release, and a set of Ameriglo "Hackathorn" sights, and a plug for the bottom of the grip are on the way..The stocks sights are aptly named "slot fillers".. Frankly, The Glock wins hands down on parts support (either factory or aftermarket) size wise, it's just about perfect for a CCW.. The current downside to the Glock is the known extraction issues, Randy Lee is, I believe very close to releasing his extractor, when combined with a slight lowering of the ejection port cures this issue once and for all.. I'll probably end up doing this with mine..Even with the extraction issues, I think Glock may still have the edge over alot of other pistols.. It's not perfect, with the extraction issue fixed, the G19 would be close..

Cazwell
05-18-12, 14:17
I own some of the pistol mentioned..HK P2k (with a light LEM), Walther PPQ, and most recently a Glock 19 (first Glock I've owned)

HK P2k w/LEM.. This pistol is probably closest to the g19 in size. It's very reliable, and very accurate. The LEM trigger is, an aquired taste, some do well with it right off the bat, and others struggle. I struggled..I did manage (with lots of dry-fire practice) to get reasonably well with it. The LEM is NOT for everybody. Since the P2k is a DA/SA pistol AIWB is possible with it, (something I'd think twice about with a Glock or a PPQ). The downsides to the P2K are few..Limited sight options, expensive, few sources of parts outside of HK..

Walther PPQ.. This is one of the few pistols that I've shot well with right out of the box.. The trigger is nothing short of excellant. Slightly larger than the G19, It is very accurate, and in over 2500 rnds on mine, no failures of any kind..I haven't found the muzzel flip to be a big a problem as many complain about. no worse than the G19, (at least for me) The downside to the PPQ,is of course the price of the mags..at close to $50 a pop, they are expensive..(mags for my P2k are actually cheaper) Sight options are presently limited, However, I figure the aftermarket will catch up soon.Decent holsters can also be found without too much problem. Parts.. this is something that is somewhat of a unknown..S&W is currently Walther's importer, and also takes care of parts..Nothing on my PPQ has broke or wore out, so, I don't really know how easy/difficult getting replacement parts would be. Currently, As far as I know, S&W is the sole source of replacement parts for the PPQ.

Glock 19.. I bought this about 3 weeks ago, It's my first Glock,(Gen 3) I had sold a FS M&P 9 that had accuracy issues, I wasn't going to put any more money into it, so down the road it went..The Glock so far, has really surprised me. The grip was, at first, a little different than anything else I was used to. The first time out at the range with it I was really surprised.. I did very well with it..Like the PPQ, it seems to be one of those pistols that I meshed with right off the bat. I did have a few cases bop me in the head, I replaced the stock extractor with a LW unit, and that made a improvement, It hasn't completely stopped, but it does it alot less. I'll be watching Randy Lee's progress with his Glock extractors, With a little over 400 rnds through it I haven't had any failures..Accuracy is also quite decent. One thing that surprises me the most is the availabilty of parts..Googleing "Glock parts" on my computer, brought up what seems like everybody and their brother selling parts.. So far, the few things I changed or will soon change are: 3.5lb connector, the LW extractor Vickers mag release, and a set of Ameriglo "Hackathorn" sights, and a plug for the bottom of the grip are on the way..The stocks sights are aptly named "slot fillers".. Frankly, The Glock wins hands down on parts support (either factory or aftermarket) size wise, it's just about perfect for a CCW.. The current downside to the Glock is the known extraction issues, Randy Lee is, I believe very close to releasing his extractor, when combined with a slight lowering of the ejection port cures this issue once and for all.. I'll probably end up doing this with mine..Even with the extraction issues, I think Glock may still have the edge over alot of other pistols.. It's not perfect, with the extraction issue fixed, the G19 would be close..

Very interesting post. I am currently wanting a new 9mm (shoot kahrs and m&p's currently.) And am considering hk p2000, g19 and ppq. Unfortunately, the only one I can rent is the glock...

legumeofterror
05-18-12, 14:29
The Steyr M9A1 is pretty much the same size than the Glock 19, and better in a number of aspects IMO.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/LegumeOfTerror/Glock%20Vs%20Steyr/IMAG0158.jpg

Sry0fcr
05-18-12, 15:15
The Steyr M9A1 is pretty much the same size than the Glock 19, and better in a number of aspects IMO.

I've been really interested in the Steyr but it seems that it has extraction issues as bad if not worse than the late production Glocks and has extremely limited sight options. It's a shame because people say that it's a really nice shooter (good trigger, extremely controllable).

ralph
05-18-12, 15:48
Very interesting post. I am currently wanting a new 9mm (shoot kahrs and m&p's currently.) And am considering hk p2000, g19 and ppq. Unfortunately, the only one I can rent is the glock...

Well, Try the Glock..I was quite surprised with mine..And, you can't deny the availbilty of parts.