PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Gen1 vs Gen2

narco23
04-25-12, 10:10
I was wondering what the difference is between a Noveske Gen1 and Gen 2? I tried Google and searching this forum and the only real difference that I found was the flared mag well. Is there any other difference between them?

Scoby
04-25-12, 11:17
Trigger guard is forged in as well in addition to the flared mag well.

Beefier construction and slightly heaiver than the Gen I.

jpmuscle
04-25-12, 13:40
Trigger guard is forged in as well in addition to the flared mag well.

Beefier construction and slightly heaiver than the Gen I.

Don't forget the enhanced aesthetics (i.e. Sexiness) brought about by the functional changes you mentioned.
:)

3 AE
04-25-12, 14:07
Don't forget the enhanced aesthetics (i.e. Sexiness) brought about by the functional changes you mentioned.
:)
And the extra $75.;)

jpmuscle
04-25-12, 14:30
And the extra $75.;)

Bah, that's a small pittance to pay lol.

seb5
04-25-12, 20:20
Surefire mags are a no go if that matters.

3 AE
04-25-12, 21:45
Surefire mags are a no go if that matters.

Not really. If I was in the military or private security contractor in a shit hole situation, it would matter. As a civilian in the CONUS having to defend my position, standard 20-30 round magazines would fulfill my requirements.

skeebinz
04-26-12, 00:58
Just put together my Gen 2 lower today, and I did notice a little bit of a weight increase over my Gen 1 when they were stripped. The flared magwell is a huge plus for me and helps with quicker reloads.

Here's a pic :)
http://i46.tinypic.com/t0rng4.jpg

Javelin
04-26-12, 01:33
I have both the Gen1 & Gen2's on Form 4's and I do like the look of the Gen2 but I think I prefer the Gen1.

M4Fundi
04-26-12, 01:53
I have both the Gen1 & Gen2's on Form 4's and I do like the look of the Gen2 but I think I prefer the Gen1.

Javelin,

Why do you prefer the Gen1?

Javelin
04-26-12, 02:14
Javelin,

Why do you prefer the Gen1?

Just a couple annoyances I have with my Gen2 I guess. I own 4 Noveske rifles so take it for what it's worth and I am not here to start a pissing match or anything because I am a Noveske kool-aid drinker for sure.

My experience has been that the Gen2 is not as tight a fit with the upper as the other 3 Gen1's I own (all have Vltor uppers). Doesn't wobble or anything like most other ARs but just enough to hear it and slightly feel it. That's not the case on the Gen1's I own which lock up like an absolute vault.

The selector switch on the Gen2's also feel different. Softer switch feel and doesn't point level when in "Safe" position". It was a direct from Noveske gun on a Form 3.. shoots absolutely wonderful and I don't have any issues with the Gen2's but just being honest with my assessment.

I just like the Gen1's all things being equal.

Javelin
04-26-12, 02:16
And I just saw your avatar. Do you really own that hat? And has Sheri seen it????

:D

buckjay
04-26-12, 04:35
Just a couple annoyances I have with my Gen2 I guess. I own 4 Noveske rifles so take it for what it's worth and I am not here to start a pissing match or anything because I am a Noveske kool-aid drinker for sure.

My experience has been that the Gen2 is not as tight a fit with the upper as the other 3 Gen1's I own (all have Vltor uppers). Doesn't wobble or anything like most other ARs but just enough to hear it and slightly feel it. That's not the case on the Gen1's I own which lock up like an absolute vault.

The selector switch on the Gen2's also feel different. Softer switch feel and doesn't point level when in "Safe" position". It was a direct from Noveske gun on a Form 3.. shoots absolutely wonderful and I don't have any issues with the Gen2's but just being honest with my assessment.

I just like the Gen1's all things being equal.

The only knock Gen 2 has on the Gen 1 is the lack of ability to use the SureFires. Fit/feel varies so much from lower to lower.

My experience: I have 7 lowers, including forged milspec lowers from Noveske, LMT, KAC, and AXTS and out of all of them my Noveske Gen 2 fits the absolute tightest (which I actually do not like.. on one upper I need to pound the pins in).

And with selector feel.. that has more to do with the individual selector/detent/spring then the lower.

Wake27
04-26-12, 09:23
The only knock Gen 2 has on the Gen 1 is the lack of ability to use the SureFires. Fit/feel varies so much from lower to lower.

My experience: I have 7 lowers, including forged milspec lowers from Noveske, LMT, KAC, and AXTS and out of all of them my Noveske Gen 2 fits the absolute tightest (which I actually do not like.. on one upper I need to pound the pins in).

And with selector feel.. that has more to do with the individual selector/detent/spring then the lower.

While it is unfortunate, that is more on Surefire than Noveske because the lower is still built to MILSPEC standards. Surefire mags are not compatible with Gen II lowers, not the other way around.

doubleajaybrock
04-26-12, 09:58
Im a definitely a fan of the gen 2! Thats a pretty sexy lower.

Javelin
04-26-12, 10:46

All three of my Gen1's need an assist to push those pins out. I kind of like it like that. To me vault tight = perfect machining.

And FWIW: I have one of the first ones to roll off the assembly line @ Noveske. Mine was reserved before they even got their production batch in so that might have something to do with it. No one even had a picture of what the Gen2 lowers looked like because Noveske had not yet published them & Stick was still waiting for his. So maybe being one of the very first off the assembly line had something to do it with. Who knows.

M4Fundi
04-26-12, 18:12
Thanks Javelin!
I like the vault-like lock up of the Gen 1 also. I hope the Gen2 I'm getting is tight, but I won't cry if it is "a little" less tight, but I'm with you that the tight lock up tells me alot about how Noveske cares about their precision machining.

The hat is actually Jansen's (COLD) and I took the photos of it while LOL:p Sheri said when John had some more made up she would give me one. I need to call her again and see if there are any floating around ;)

Wake27
04-26-12, 18:51
FWIW mine is tight, but not overly-so. I can get the pins out without a punch or much trouble.