PDA

View Full Version : KAC 200-600m 100yd zero?

JRas
04-25-12, 11:32
I bought a KAC 200-600m backup sight, I read the zero procedure and it says to put the position to the "Z" mark for 25m range zeoring. When Zeroed, set the rear sight back to the "3" for a true 300m zero.

I'm not really interested in having a 300m zero, in another PDI I read online it said you could carry it in the "2" position for a 200m.

What if I want to do a 100M/100yd zero?

I'm guessing I could just put in on the 200M setting and zero at 100, but all the marks would be inaccurate or would they merely be 100m off? example 300m = 200m?

200m zero vs 100M/yd

ASH556
04-25-12, 11:52
There are clicks between the hash marks. The 100M zero should be somewhere between the 200M and 300M. If you want the sight to work properly (relatively, as it's ammo and barrel length dependent anyway), zero it @ 25M with the "Z" setting on the rear sight. Then, shoot at 100 and figure out where your 100m/yd zero point is. Mark it with a paint pen for reference, and you're good to go.

EDIT: You do realize that elevation should be first SET with the front sight post and then adjusted for range using the rear sight, correct?

bp7178
04-25-12, 13:14
I don't know how universal those setting are, if the distance between the front and rear sight is different from what the manufacturer intended, the POI will be different.

As ASH556 said, best to shoot and see for yourself.

The Z setting works pretty good for me at 25 yards, then moving to 50 and changing the rear to the 200m setting.

JRas
04-25-12, 13:31
I don't know how universal those setting are, if the distance between the front and rear sight is different from what the manufacturer intended, the POI will be different.

As ASH556 said, best to shoot and see for yourself.

The Z setting works pretty good for me at 25 yards, then moving to 50 and changing the rear to the 200m setting.

I spoke with a Knights service, he said they sight was designed for M855 ammo with barrel lengths between 14.5-20". He said the clicks were based on the averages.

He recommended I set it on the 200M setting and do a 100yard zero, shoot at other distances and write down my settings.

There are clicks between the hash marks. The 100M zero should be somewhere between the 200M and 300M. If you want the sight to work properly (relatively, as it's ammo and barrel length dependent anyway), zero it @ 25M with the "Z" setting on the rear sight. Then, shoot at 100 and figure out where your 100m/yd zero point is. Mark it with a paint pen for reference, and you're good to go.

EDIT: You do realize that elevation should be first SET with the front sight post and then adjusted for range using the rear sight, correct?

perfect, exactly what I wanted to do. Keep the sight working but still allow my 100m zero.

would you specify on your edit?

ASH556
04-25-12, 13:51
would you specify on your edit?

If you know how to zero a carbine, you're fine. The wording in your first post made it sound like you were going to adjust the rear sight to achieve your zero. You zero a carbine by adjusting the front sight post for elevation. Then, you can deviate from your zero by dialing elevation on your rear sight if you desire.

More clear?