PDA

View Full Version : LMT v. BCM BCG

fn1889m
04-25-12, 13:23
The BCM auto bolt carrier groups is $149. The LMT auto bolt carrier group is $129.

Is there any advantage to one over the other?

Canonshooter
04-25-12, 13:27
The BCM auto bolt carrier groups is $149. The LMT auto bolt carrier group is $129.

I do not think so. I've used both and am currently using the LMT SA BCG in a 14.5" BCM LW midlength upper.

Scoby
04-25-12, 13:43
I have both and see no advantage of one over the other.

polymorpheous
04-25-12, 14:07
Warranty and customer service.
BCM has it over LMT in this regard.

Blankwaffe
04-25-12, 14:50
Depends on preference really....both BCG's are well tested,documented and are excellent quality in my opinion.

To me the LMT bolts are superior due to the relieved lug root design.
Does this make a big difference in actual longterm performance/reliability?
I can't say....but the technical stress relief explanation makes enough sense to me to have a preference for the design.

I have not purchased a BCM BCG since 2009,a sample size of one,so newer BCG's may be different.But the BCM BCG I have came with a small spool firing pin.
LMT BCG's come with large spool firing pins.
Nit picking I know,but another feature I prefer.

IMHO the LMT BCG's are an absolute bargin at $129.00.
But thats my preferences and opinion...YMMV.

JPB
04-25-12, 14:56
Do LMT carriers have a chromed gas key? I knid thought that they didn't at one point.

Blankwaffe
04-25-12, 15:16
Do LMT carriers have a chromed gas key? I knid thought that they didn't at one point.

The MIM keys do not have hard chrome bores....from what I understand they use a different coating.

Here is a link to the "LMT gas key study response" that Grant posted sometime back.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LMT/Gas%20Key%20Study%20Response%20June%202009.pdf

C4IGrant
04-25-12, 15:55

The LMT has a MIM gas key. The BCM does not.

That is really the biggest difference.

C4

chamber143
04-25-12, 16:37
The LMT has a MIM gas key. The BCM does not.

That is really the biggest difference.

C4

For me that's enough. I know mim in other applications work really well, I just prefer to know I'm not using one. Had a Kimber full of mim and it was a hunk of junk, pos,would use it to weight paper but that's it. I haven't actually heard any issues with the key on the LMT other than people bitching about it being mim. You could run it and not worry I'm sure. 20 bucks I'd just use it on a box of Speer GD from grant:D well actually I'd probably pay the 20 and get the BCM for the logo through the dust cover but ima fanboy so it doesn't count. Buy either and you won't regret it.

RD62
04-25-12, 19:58
I have both and see no advantage of one over the other.

This is my sentiment as well.

My sample size is small and somewhat dated now, but I have had zero issues through multiple thousands of rounds with either, and have noticed no discernible performance advantage from either. I would not hesitate to use either.

That said, Grant probably sees more of these BCG's in a week than I have seen in my life, and certainly more recently. If he recommends one over the other I would certainly heed his advice.

griff400
04-29-12, 12:36
Warranty and customer service.
BCM has it over LMT in this regard.

+1. YMMV concerning how important this is to you

buckjay
04-29-12, 13:42
I don't believe LMT BCGs use MIM keys anymore.

I've purchased 4 in the last 8 months and none of them came with a MIM key.

Also, I've been absolutely thrilled with LMTs Customer Service.. not really sure what they could have done better in the times I had to contact them.

But as others have said, just flip a coin (or choose the one that makes more financial sense).

TehLlama
04-29-12, 15:20
Have both, both run. I see no tangible difference. I've seen DD's around the same price, and it's the same deal - all those work. I'd honestly decide on if you need anything else at the same time - the difference in shipping from only one place might be enough to simplify your decision.

Scoby
04-29-12, 15:48
I'm no expert on the MIM subject at all.
But, the way I understand it is that if it is done properly, there should be no problem with the quality of the part.

buckjay
04-29-12, 16:14
Yeah, I wouldn't be worried with any LMT BCG.. MIM Key or not.

Another reason I like the LMT over the others (besides the price) is lack of logo on the BCG.

koniz
04-30-12, 10:35
I haven't dealt with BCM customer service dept. but I do know the guys at LMT go out of thier way to help the customers. Gene and Ray go out of thier way to fix problems and get the customer what they want. I have personally worked with both of them in person.

Moltke
04-30-12, 10:50
I think that both are good enough quality that either will do fine, both should function and last for equivalent life spans, and you're not really getting anything special for the extra $30 in question; so I'd go with the cheaper one.