PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Red Gun Lube

Gem1950
04-25-12, 22:38
Here's a recipe for homemade gun lube. The good part about making this stuff yourself is that you can alter the viscosity by manipulating the ratios of ingredients to suit your own taste/preference. Use a quart container, like an empty oils jug, as a receptacle/storage container and only make a half quart or so until you get the consistency you like. Obviously if you want it thicker, add more of the thick stuff. If you want it thinner, use less of the thick stuff, or add more thin stuff. The key is using the same measuring device for all ingredients so you can reproduce your results, and don't forget to write down your ratios. Play with it and see what works best for your needs.

The ingredients are:

2 parts - Good quality motor oil (multi weight)
2 parts - Good quality ATF
3 parts - Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer (sort of like STP and you don't need a gallon but it is good for your car too!)
2 parts - Hoppe's #9
1 part - Marvel Mystery Oil

Throw it together, mix it up and put it in a dispenser and you're ready to go.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt109/draper1950/RedGunLube001.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt109/draper1950/RedGunLube002.jpg

GrumpyM4
04-26-12, 02:47
How long have you let some of this sit for? Do the different parts seperate and layer out?

Also, how thick is it?

Looks interesting.

C4IGrant
04-26-12, 08:34
Interesting. Why did you add the #9??

C4

BDavis
04-26-12, 08:59

C4

For the fragrance? :D

Col_Crocs
04-26-12, 09:01
Looks like a variation of Bug Juice which worked pretty well for me. I dont remember the ratios but those are exactly the ingredients minus the marvel mystery oil.
ETA: i dont know about this one but bug juice smells like hoppes #9. It's the only ingredient that has a strong odor.

Gem1950
04-26-12, 09:07
How long have you let some of this sit for? Do the different parts seperate and layer out?

Also, how thick is it?

Looks interesting.

So far it does not seem to seperate but I would not be surprised if it did because of the solvent in the Hoppe's which probably would evaporate off if left open. It (this version) is a little thicker than some Militec-1 that I have but much thicker than CLP etc.

The goal here was to have a lube mix that does not run out of the gun, has some cleaning qualities and is heat resistant

Col_Crocs
04-26-12, 09:09

Also, how thick is it?

Looks interesting.

From my experience with bug juice, the only separation you get is a thick milky sludge that settles on the bottom. I used to just let it sit for a few days then transfer it to different container, leaving the sludge in the previous one.

Gem1950
04-26-12, 09:10

C4

To give it some cleaning quality. I think that the #9 could be cut back (1/2) and it would be fine.

C4IGrant
04-26-12, 09:16
To give it some cleaning quality. I think that the #9 could be cut back (1/2) and it would be fine.

Generally speaking, I don't want my lube to clean. I want it to lube. When I want to clean the gun, I will use a dedicated cleaner.

Just a thought.

C4

Heavy Metal
04-26-12, 09:41
I agree with Grant.

If you want it to thin a bit, just cut it with mineral spirits. That will give it a bit of cleaning ability too. I really don't see the need for both ATF and Motor Oil. The ATF is a better lube for firearms anyways. It has better anti-corrosion additives.

Also, test it when the weather gets cold. Some homebrews don't play well when temps get cold.

doubleajaybrock
04-26-12, 10:27

I know with ATF4 trans fluid it has detergents to help with cleaning.

1gunzenuf
04-26-12, 10:29
For what it's worth, I got the "Bug Juice" recipe from a friend who works security for several of the TVA nuclear power plants. He was on an artillery crew during his time in service. To quote him, they used the bug juice on the big guns and their personal weapons and the Hoppes was added to give the lube "creepiness". According to him, the basic recipe did not film over the metal parts as well without it. I have made it with and without the Hoppes and can see no real difference, but my weapons are not run as hard as many here, so YMMV. This is the recipe as he emailed it to me...

Subject: Bug Juice...

This is the recipe for "Bug Juice". This is a lubricant that the military uses for big guns. This stuff is great for moving parts on shotguns, rifles, etc:

1. One (1) 9 oz. bottle of Hoppes #9
2. One (1) pint of STP oil treatment
3. Two (2) quarts Mobile 1, synthetic oil 10w30
4. One (1) quart Automatic Transmission Fluid

I will bring you a sample when we get back to Arab. Hope everyone is doing okay.

This stuff works well when cold, just make sure you use synthetic oil. It is also thin enough to spread easily and just thick enough to be manageable.

Gem1950
04-26-12, 12:06
I think the main thing to keep in mind about stuff like this is that there are many variations of the ingredients that will work well depending on conditions etc. Eleminating the #9 and/or substituting with mineral spirits would probably be fine. I'm just seeking something that protects, resists high temp. and doesn't run out of the gun.

This is sorta like the "Ed's Red" cleaning solvent mixture which I mix up and use all the time, even use it at the range on the BoreSnake.

GrumpyM4
04-26-12, 14:15
Gotta admit that I generally agree with Grant on this sort of thing.

I currently use a very lightweight synthetic grease called 'SuperLube' for running my guns, and dedicated cleaning solvents for cleaning (or just a couple of paper towels for wipe down on the MR556).

But, if I were to make a multi-purpose lube such as the ones being discussed in this thread, i'd probably end up using PB blaster or Kroil in place of the Hoppes if my goal was to help this work its way into the nooks and crannies.

While working as a heavy steel worker for the DoD/DoN, I would make a mix of half and half light tool oil and Kroil for my pneumatic grinders and the like. Mine ran much better then anybody elses and I didn't need to take my gear into the tool rooms for maintinence as much as most others.

Then again, simply taking the time to perform proper maintinence on my tools and take care of my gear probably had a lot to do with that as well.

Your tax dollars at work, people.

IYAAYASwarrior
04-26-12, 15:20
How much did all of the materials cost you?

Iraqgunz
04-26-12, 15:27
How tasty. Some smelly cocktail made from various petroleum products. I can't wait to breath that stuff in when shooting suppressed.

GrumpyM4
04-26-12, 21:13
Another reason to stick with a lightweight, food grade, synthetic grease.

http://www.super-lube.com/

sinlessorrow
04-26-12, 23:51
How tasty. Some smelly cocktail made from various petroleum products. I can't wait to breath that stuff in when shooting suppressed.

i use a mix of ATF and synthetic motor oil from Mobil 1 and its honestly 100% safe unless injected under your skin.

Confed-rifleman
04-27-12, 01:35
Seems like a lot of extra crap without a distinct advantage but, whatever burps your worm. I think I'll stick to the separate cleaning solvent and continue lubing with Mobil 1 & synthetic ATF.

Eric
04-27-12, 04:54
2 parts - Good quality motor oil (multi weight)
2 parts - Good quality ATF
3 parts - Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer (sort of like STP and you don't need a gallon but it is good for your car too!)
2 parts - Hoppe's #9
1 part - Marvel Mystery Oil
For the most part, I'm one of those guys that likes to use actual gun care products on guns, while still understanding that most will run with just about any decent lubrication. However, I have used synthetic motor oil with good results.

I started with the above mix and found it to be a bit on the thin side. I ended up cutting the Hoppe's down to 1 part and increasing the Lucas HDOS by 1 part. I used Royal Purple 20W50 and Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF. I'll give it a go and see what happens. It would be interesting to hear what a lubrication engineer would tell us about this.

Heavy Metal
04-27-12, 10:00
i use a mix of ATF and synthetic motor oil from Mobil 1 and its honestly 100% safe unless injected under your skin.

The motor oil still contains Benzene. That is why I say skip it and stick to the ATF. The ATF can do the job all by itself.

MegademiC
04-27-12, 11:09
Motor oil is not 100%safe, especially after its been burned. Motor oil keeps carbon fouling in solution just like it does in your engine.

I just stick to oil - been 100%. I play chemist enough at school, i dont have to mix shit in my garage;). YMMV.

askani79705
04-27-12, 11:21
A new variation of "Ed's Red" the old gunsmiths used to make..

Noodles
04-27-12, 11:26
The motor oil still contains Benzene. That is why I say skip it and stick to the ATF. The ATF can do the job all by itself.

I'll certainly agree Benzene is nasty shit, ask any hydrologist. And while I do agree ATF is MUCH better than motor oil if you're looking to breath in the fumes, the majority of ATF is fine to breath but there is still a lot of paraffinic distillate that is a carcinogen to animals and can cause nose and throat soreness.

It's better, but yea, I think a food grease, or something derived from natural oils or the like is the way to go. The OP's post of oil and solvents is not for me. Plus, I don't think I'd just go willy-nilly adding solvents to a bunch of different oils with no idea why or what I was really doing.

I'll go over to whole foods and see if I can find peanut oil or something to try :)

orionz06
04-27-12, 12:04
The ATF can do the job all by itself.

Almost every component there can do the job all by itself.

devinsdad
04-27-12, 12:40
A new variation of "Ed's Red" the old gunsmiths used to make..

Spent the last 2 days racking my brain to try and remember the name of this homebrew. Thanks for letting me sleep tonight.
How is this any better then any quality gun lube? I have been reading for years about all manner of homebrew lubes. Combining motor oil, cooking oil, lard, ATF, urine etc. But past the cost, which I assume is a boatload better, what is this gonna do for my weapon than a jug of CLP? I've always taken these with a geain of salt. Every oil has it's purpose in life, why cross them for little to no benefit in performance?

askani79705
04-27-12, 13:07
Spent the last 2 days racking my brain to try and remember the name of this homebrew. Thanks for letting me sleep tonight.
How is this any better then any quality gun lube? I have been reading for years about all manner of homebrew lubes. Combining motor oil, cooking oil, lard, ATF, urine etc. But past the cost, which I assume is a boatload better, what is this gonna do for my weapon than a jug of CLP? I've always taken these with a geain of salt. Every oil has it's purpose in life, why cross them for little to no benefit in performance?
It's not any better.any quality oil will be fine. America is a nation of tinkerers,Marvel Mystery Oil (mineral spirits) Lucas Oil additive (Gear Oil) are examples of companies that have taken advantage of this.As for me I just use the same oil I put in my truck,

Noodles
04-27-12, 13:12
Every oil has it's purpose in life, why cross them for little to no benefit in performance?

Because if a little of something is good, more must be better! :)

bp7178
04-27-12, 15:14
I never got mixing stuff together to make some sort of super lube.

What testing have you done to be assured the chemical properties of any of the sunstances hasn't and doesn't change when mixed with the other stuff? How about temprature changes and how the mix fairs when mixed with particles from the combustion process?

What does this receipe do that no COTS solution does?

IYAAYASwarrior
04-27-12, 15:59
For the price you paid for all of those products, you could have simply gone with a much easier method http://www.amazon.com/FROGLUBE-CLP-Lubricant-Kit-Liquid/dp/B0053TTUHW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335560174&sr=8-2 and actually paid less for it.

fixit69
04-27-12, 16:34
It's not any better.any quality oil will be fine. America is a nation of tinkerers,Marvel Mystery Oil (mineral spirits) Lucas Oil additive (Gear Oil) are examples of companies that have taken advantage of this.As for me I just use the same oil I put in my truck,

I'm through playing chemist in my short free time when I should be shooting. But I mix up a "special" batch when going shooting with a can. Heavy marvel mystery oil and mobile one. Someone gets on your nerves, a facefull of this gas is the ticket for stfu. IG, you made me chuckle when talked about the smell.

Gem1950
04-27-12, 19:04

Never thought of urine. I'm gonna go pee in that bottle (measuring first) and see how it mixes!

Suwannee Tim
04-27-12, 19:53
Generally speaking, I don't want my lube to clean. I want it to lube. When I want to clean the gun, I will use a dedicated cleaner.....C4

My beliefs exactly.

Here is my recipe for red gun lube:

One part ATF.
One more part ATF.

This is what almost all the many black powder shooters at my range use and these are old guys who have tried it all. If it can keep their blunderbusses from rusting it is good enough for me.

cliffspot
05-27-16, 22:02
I saw a week ago a recipe that called for 1 part Mobil 1, 1 part Dextron ATF, 1 part Lucas Oil Treatment. I don't remember where I saw it. So I made a small bottle and it felt good in my AR and my 1911. But the real test for oils is on the Dillon Super 1050s I use at work. I have been using these machines since 2009 and have loaded over 7 million rounds on them! I have used almost every oil on the market on them. I tried Slip 2000, Lucas Gun Oil, Break Free, MC 2500, TW 25, moly paste mixed with Break Free, Spring tar mixed with moly paste and Mobil 1....Tetra, Mobil 1....you name it...there are many others that I forgot! I can feel the difference in the different lubes. The one I stuck with was Mobil 1 Synthetic. Until today...I took a break (After loading 3000 rounds..) and decided to mix another batch to try at work. DAMN! That is the BEST so far! SUPER SLICK! Makes the Dillon feel hydraulic...just crazy smooth! This should be great on guns! Just the viscosity would not be good for cold temps....I think. But the test is in the firing! After Vegas....

Biggy
05-27-16, 22:30
I picked up some of ALG's Purple GO-JUICE free samples at the NRA show last Saturday, but have not used it yet. I here if it is accidentally ingested, it would work like a laxative but don't know if it would also give you any super powers.

https://geissele.com/alg-go-juice-4-oz-bottle.html

https://geissele.com/alg-go-juice-sample-packs.html

kirkland
05-28-16, 19:51
looks interesting but I just cannot stand the stinking smell of ATF. :bad:

Outlander Systems
05-28-16, 20:15
This shit is the cat's ass:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3565/large/12028851_ptx_81950_pri_larg.jpg

You're welcome.

Benito
05-28-16, 22:25
I never got mixing stuff together to make some sort of super lube.

What testing have you done to be assured the chemical properties of any of the sunstances hasn't and doesn't change when mixed with the other stuff? How about temprature changes and how the mix fairs when mixed with particles from the combustion process?

What does this receipe do that no COTS solution does?

This would be my #1 concern. Chemicals can do some weird things when mixed together.

BufordTJustice
05-28-16, 23:50
This would be my #1 concern. Chemicals can do some weird things when mixed together.
Agreed.

Also, everything inside the bolt carrier gets aerosolized via flame/heat. Plenty of carcinogenic byproducts can be generated by that process.

ace4059
05-29-16, 00:18
Agreed.

Also, everything inside the bolt carrier gets aerosolized via flame/heat. Plenty of carcinogenic byproducts can be generated by that process.

What??? You dont shoot with your gas mask on? ;) noobie :rolleyes: :D

BufordTJustice
05-29-16, 10:24
What??? You dont shoot with your gas mask on? ;) noobie :rolleyes: :D
I f*cking hate that damn thing.

Campbell
05-29-16, 10:51
We used to make this stuff too, ATF, motor oil, cut with Kroil and acetone....I guess it makes sense if you are servicing range/FA/ belt fed mg, simply because it is cheap.
Today I buy Ballistol by the quart at my farmers co-op, green and clean😀

BufordTJustice
05-29-16, 11:37
We used to make this stuff too, ATF, motor oil, cut with Kroil and acetone....I guess it makes sense if you are servicing range/FA/ belt fed mg, simply because it is cheap.
For guns that don't vaporize their lubricant, one can just virtually anything that gets the job done and doesn't cause cancer from skin contact.

But for the AR, and especially a suppressed AR, we must be mindful of things like Benzine that can be created from vaporized motor oil. Highly toxic.

Campbell
05-29-16, 15:27
For guns that don't vaporize their lubricant, one can just virtually anything that gets the job done and doesn't cause cancer from skin contact.

But for the AR, and especially a suppressed AR, we must be mindful of things like Benzine that can be created from vaporized motor oil. Highly toxic.

I agree, I spray paint/coatings for a living, and have always tried to be smart... Never gave firearms a second thought till my first suppressor.

samuse
05-29-16, 17:38
There's no point in using a nasty, toxic, stinking, staining mess like that on any gun.

ANYTHING will lube it just fine. Pick something that doesn't stink, stain, or try to kill you.

And don't put any of that Lucas garbage in an engine. It has been tested to be utter junk. Marvel Mystery Oil is basically mineral oil, peppermint oil, and kerosene (or something like that).

To lower the surface tension for better creep/penetration, use regular Acetone.

MistWolf
05-30-16, 00:24
No ATF or any other hydraulic fluid or acetone on my firearms. That stuff make me ill. I've found a good, non-toxic Gucci lube that's been working well for me over the last coupla years. It's expensive, but I'd rather pay for Gucci lube than cancer treatments

JoshNC
05-30-16, 01:51
No ATF or any other hydraulic fluid or acetone on my firearms. That stuff make me ill. I've found a good, non-toxic Gucci lube that's been working well for me over the last coupla years. It's expensive, but I'd rather pay for Gucci lube than cancer treatments

What lube is that?

JasonB1
05-30-16, 07:34

See if they can get the gallon size even cheaper 😎

MistWolf
05-30-16, 18:11
What lube is that?

The one, it seems, everyone loves to hate- Frog Lube

Now you know what my opinion on lube is worth

kwg020
05-30-16, 22:42
I use 50% 80-90 Wt. gear oil and 50% Remoil. If it's cold I add more Remoil and thin the mix. If it's hot I add more 80-90 Wt. Been doing it for years. When I want to clean a gun I use spray carburetor cleaner and a bore snake. It's not brain surgery, it's a gun.
kwg

foxtrotx1
05-31-16, 00:05

Correct. At least one study has found no issue with either chemical. I posted them a while back but can't find them now. However, I don't think they considered aspiration as a possible mode of entry IIRC.