PDA

View Full Version : BATFE & U.S. DOJ plan to remove CLEO signature requirement for NFA firearms transfers

Packman73
04-26-12, 09:32
A problem most Americans run into when attempting to make or acquire an NFA firearm is that most CLEOs are not too keen on signing the federal paperwork. Some outright refuse. And there is no way for the individual to compel the CLEO to sign.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/25/atf-u-s-doj-plan-to-remove-cleo-signature-requirement-for-nfa-firearms-transfers/#axzz1t9W89GIY

SteveL
04-26-12, 09:37
I'd rather see them do something about the six month wait.

MarkG
04-26-12, 09:43

I'll second that...

KalashniKEV
04-26-12, 10:01

Third...

Who cares about the CLEO sign off?

The trust route gives you the most flexibility anyway.
(now wait for increased trust scrutiny)

rushca01
04-26-12, 10:07
We've heard this song and dance before....real this time or not?

cankicker01
04-26-12, 10:13
I would really like to see this happen. The trust is the best way to go, so I guess I would so like to see the six month wait disappear. Guess would could dream.

Abraxas
04-26-12, 11:35

Yes sir

jsummers
04-26-12, 11:36
Because ammoland.com is an extremely reliable source of info for the BATFE and DOJ. :rolleyes:

This has been discussed before and I'm sure it'll come back up when someone doesn't do a search again.

Iraqgunz
04-26-12, 13:01
Discussed before. Now for all of you conspiracy theorists out there who love to shout from the roof tops when you hear helo blades in the middle of the night...think about this.

Why are they doing this? We have already seen the disdain that this administration and these offices have for the 2nd Amendment.

Normally I could care less. But, this combined with the NFATCA sticking their nose where it doesn't belong (Trusts) makes me nervous.

Be careful what we wish for, because what comes next could be even worse.

MFWIC2
04-26-12, 13:11
I could careless about the LEO signature.
Go the trust route and call it a day.
Now the wait time is ridiculous.

MrSmitty
04-26-12, 17:06
I'll reiterate what everyone else has said. The CLEO signature doesn't bother me because I go the trust route, which doesn't bother me either. I don't even care about the cost of the stamp, $200 is pittance in the grand scheme of things.

The wait is what chaps my ass :shout:

CarlosDJackal
04-27-12, 22:43

I heard that this may soon change.... to about twelve months!! :fie:

Rumors about the CLEO signature no longer being required has been floating around for quite a few years now. Since I wnet the RLT route, and the fact that the local CLEO (SHeriff) used to be an FFL Dealer, this requirement does not bother me at all. The wait times are what they should work on instead.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-27-12, 23:53
I'd think it is more likely that if they did this it is because they will move box fed semis to NFA items. $200 per transfer, we make sure 'bad guys' don't get 'military' guns, and it is as good as registration of of ARs as they get transferred around.

GlocksInMySocks
04-28-12, 00:55
this combined with the NFATCA sticking their nose where it doesn't belong (Trusts) makes me nervous.

Be careful what we wish for, because what comes next could be even worse.

I'm with you. I'd be much happier with them just leaving it alone

VIP3R 237
04-28-12, 01:05
I'd think it is more likely that if they did this it is because they will move box fed semis to NFA items. $200 per transfer, we make sure 'bad guys' don't get 'military' guns, and it is as good as registration of of ARs as they get transferred around.

God help us all if this happens... You should delete your post before someone reads it and gets an idea.

J_Dub_503
04-28-12, 01:40
God help us all if this happens... You should delete your post before someone reads it and gets an idea.

My sentiment exactly, don't feed them any ideas (not that it hasn't already crossed their minds.)

Iraqgunz
04-28-12, 02:43
Not without re-writing the entire NFA laws, etc.... which I am pretty sure won't happen. Our Congress has alot of other shit to worry about.

RyanB
04-28-12, 03:32
I think they want to encourage people to register weapons to individuals instead of trusts.

SteveL
04-28-12, 07:39
I heard that this may soon change.... to about twelve months!! :fie:

That's what I'm afraid of. If I understand it right, the wait right now is about six months and that's for people who mailed their paperwork in six months ago. I hate to think how long it may be for people just sending their paperwork in now.

Dolphinvet
04-28-12, 13:47
That's what I'm afraid of. If I understand it right, the wait right now is about six months and that's for people who mailed their paperwork in six months ago. I hate to think how long it may be for people just sending their paperwork in now.

An interesting thing seems to have happened quite recently though, the examiners have "assistants". I'm not sure what that really means but perhaps they are getting all the paperwork lined out so that the examiner just has to sign it, not go through everything. An "assistant" to my examiner (Lamberger) called the guy who sold me an M11/9 just last week questioning on his LLC (they thought it was an FFL). So maybe they are doing this to reduce the current backlog of Form 1 & 4's.