PDA

View Full Version : Southeast 6.8 Forum Range Day - AAR

Waylander
04-26-12, 10:25
Recently, I had a chance through the 6.8 forum to be a part of a centerfire rifle match in Macon, GA along with four other 6.8 shooters. We all had optics but some of the other non-6.8 shooters used only iron sights. The match was a lot of fun especially being the first one I've ever attended. We have some very nice sponsors and 68WJ, a moderator of the 6.8 forum, to help us become a part of this. The sponsors were:

Wilson Combat
Surefire
Daniel Defense
Hamlund Tactical
Bison Armory

The winner of the 6.8 shooters got a $150 Hamlund Tactical gift certificate. Surefire also gave us free ball caps and had a drawing for a battery holder.

Wilson Combat had a demo setup for four of their TTU (Tactical Trigger Unit) triggers. We were able to test the Single Stage, the Mil/LE single stage, the 3-gun, and the two stage match trigger. After feeling the smooth, crisp action with a short takeup and reset, these TTUs while pricey are worth every penny.
After the match, we had a drawing for one lucky guy to get a free TTU of his choice.

Also after the match, Josh Massey from Daniel Defense let us demo four of their rifles in 6.8, two of them part of the Ambush line. While the single stage Daniel Defense trigger on their 6.8 combat rifles is nice, the Geissele SSA trigger on the Ambush makes a big difference. After Josh installed an Aimpoint Micro on one of the Ambush rifles, we were regularly ringing 10" steel plates at 200 yards. That's with a 4MOA dot non-magnified optic.
We blasted through countless rounds of SSA ammo Josh brought for us to try. Kudos to them for their excellent rifles and letting us use and abuse them! Their 6.8 rifles are accurate, reliable, and a huge bang for the buck, IMO.

Bison Armory had a new rifle in their line called the BSP. It's a 6.8 rifle with a 1:7" twist to stabilize up to 200 grain bullets and meant for subsonic use. While I didn't stay long enough to shoot the rifle, the review of it was very good. I was skeptical about shooting supersonic ammo in the rifle, but according to those who shot it, there were no signs of unsafe pressure and it still held nice accuracy. One of the 6.8 members was able to buy the Bison BSP rifle for a discounted price.

More details here:

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?28484-Southeast-Forum-Range-Day-AAR