PDA

View Full Version : What should i do?

navymancdf
04-26-12, 10:26
I am recieving my dads old entry gun from when he was on the SWAT team. I know he would not give me a POS but i would like to use it for hunting i seen on here that you can hunt effectivley with a 5.56. Is there anything i need to do to it to get it ready for hunting or should i look into just getting a new upper receiver? My knowlege is very general when it deals with weapons being that i have to qualify every year and understand the basics. This will be my first personel owned weapon.

Any help would be great thanks.

Corey

5pins
04-26-12, 10:36
It would help if we knew more about the rifle. Just telling us it’s an entry gun isn’t very descriptive.

doubleajaybrock
04-26-12, 10:37
I am recieving my dads old entry gun from when he was on the SWAT team. I know he would not give me a POS but i would like to use it for hunting i seen on here that you can hunt effectivley with a 5.56. Is there anything i need to do to it to get it ready for hunting or should i look into just getting a new upper receiver? My knowlege is very general when it deals with weapons being that i have to qualify every year and understand the basics. This will be my first personel owned weapon.

Any help would be great thanks.

Corey

What is your definition of an entry gun? What length is the barrel? What are you hunting? 5.56 is a little small for larger game but plenty fine for coyotes and prairie dogs.

navymancdf
04-26-12, 10:43
If i remember it is about a 14" barrel, has a rail system dont know the type. He is coming down with it next month. Not planning on hunting big game since here in NV all big game is on lottery system and since this is my first year i wont be drawing any big game. Again sorry about poor description guess i should of waited to post it till i knew the specs on it.

Corey

Cincinnatus
04-26-12, 10:49
If i remember it is about a 14" barrel, has a rail system dont know the type. He is coming down with it next month. Not planning on hunting big game since here in NV all big game is on lottery system and since this is my first year i wont be drawing any big game. Again sorry about poor description guess i should of waited to post it till i knew the specs on it.

Corey

Any proper response will have to wait until we have some more info on rifle. Pics, would also help.

djmorris
04-26-12, 10:55
What is your definition of an entry gun? What length is the barrel? What are you hunting? 5.56 is a little small for larger game but plenty fine for coyotes and prairie dogs.

5.56 is more than fine for most anything you're going to hunt in the US of A with the exception of maybe moose and bear which would you still could but you better be up a tree or something. :jester: There's a good reason the .223/5.56 is the #1 hunting round in the country. Just because it's designed to kill humans does not mean it's ineffective on other prey. Certainly capable of killing bigger game than prairie dogs :rolleyes:

doubleajaybrock
04-26-12, 10:55

Corey

If dealing with a 14" barrel, you could be diving into an NFA issue!

navymancdf
04-26-12, 11:15
If dealing with a 14" barrel, you could be diving into an NFA issue!

I could be wrong it has been a few months since i looked at it i know it is minimum length for a M4 so what ever is minimum to law that my dad could have on there. Once i recieve it i will post pics and re do the post. Sorry for waste of your guys time Thanks for your help

Corey

devinsdad
04-26-12, 11:20
Leave the current upper as it sits. If it is a SWAT entry gun, it was built for optimum CQB...not for hunting. I'd look at swapping the upper with at least an 18" if not a 20" barrel. That will wring the most out of the .223. Add to that quality hunting ammunition and possibly some optics and you'd have a good hunting rig...not to mention the other upper will give you a good HD weapon. Other things to consider, trigger, stock and grip. Many of those are personal in nature and everyone has their own opinion of what is the best. If you think it's around 14" you might be thinking of 14.5". If thats the case make sure your muzzle device makes up that other 1.5" so you don't have to play with the NFA stupidity.
When you do get it, be sure to do a very good inspection of the parts. Springs, extractors, ejectors and pins wear over time and shooting. A high round count rifle might need several parts replaced to be 100% reliable. Theres a lot more to do with a given rifle than just shooting it. Make sure you thank your ole' man for hooking you up like that, way cool in my book!

Pax
04-26-12, 11:24
Whatever you end up hunting, with whatever caliber, youll probably want a decent optic on it. I doubt an "entry gun" will be well set up for even a 150yd shot on a prarie dog.

And by decent optic, I dont mean the Bushnell at your local gun shop. I mean ask the Optics board for suggestions. List the rifle's specifications, your capabilities with it, your budget and what you will be hunting under what environmental circumstances. They will point you in the right direction.

If youu ever find it necessary, you can indeed, as you suggested in your original post, just build a new upper for a couple hundred bucks without any paperwork in a caliber more suited to larger game, (6.8, 6.5, .300 BLK/Whisper, etc. etc.).

Moltke
04-26-12, 11:34
5.56 is more than fine for most anything you're going to hunt in the US of A with the exception of maybe moose and bear which would you still could but you better be up a tree or something. :jester: There's a good reason the .223/5.56 is the #1 hunting round in the country. Just because it's designed to kill humans does not mean it's ineffective on other prey. Certainly capable of killing bigger game than prairie dogs :rolleyes:

I was unaware that .223 was so popular for hunting, it was my understanding that .30-.30, .30-06, and 12 gauge were the most popular hunting cartridges in the US.

Jaysop
04-26-12, 11:49
I was unaware that .223 was so popular for hunting, it was my understanding that .30-.30, .30-06, and 12 gauge were the most popular hunting cartridges in the US.

I was under the same impression. I would of thought even a 270 was more popular.

Personally ill stick with a 308, in the unlikely event I made a poor shot I want to minimize the chance of the animal suffering.

Grizzly16
04-26-12, 13:04
What are you hunting for in Nevada?

navymancdf
04-26-12, 13:11
Thanks for all the feed back. Smallest would be rabbit and biggest would be Coyote or fox. Seriously Nevada is a good state for hunting but if you are like me and just did your hunter ed course and have not put in for the lottery your chance of pulling are very slim. pluss i figured i work on my targeting with smaller game before moving up to bigger game.

djmorris
04-26-12, 14:50

Perhaps 30-06 although its popularity seems to be dwindling a bit. I know at one point (several years ago) I read numerous articles claiming that .223 is the most widely used center fire cartridge for hunting, partly in due to more women and younger hunters using it for the minimal recoil and satisfactory ballistics. But, this was some time ago. Believe it or not, I think .22lr is right up there as well...

doubleajaybrock
04-26-12, 17:25

A coyote is a bigger game than prairie dogs:rolleyes:

Um, most hunters with common sense aren't going to use a .223 for hunting large game. I also believe that you should check with your state's Fish & Game Department to see what the required minimum is. Just cause you can kill something with a .22LR doesn't mean it is the proper tool for the job.

Patric
04-26-12, 17:51
A coyote is a bigger game than prairie dogs:rolleyes:

Um, most hunters with common sense aren't going to use a .223 for hunting large game. I also believe that you should check with your state's Fish & Game Department to see what the required minimum is. Just cause you can kill something with a .22LR doesn't mean it is the proper tool for the job.

Yup, most states have a .24/6mm minimum for deer, to exclude
.22-250 and .223 on purpose. But there are some that don't.......
Doesn't mean its a good idea.

NitroDave08
04-27-12, 01:33
for hunting in NV
NRS 503.150  Manner of hunting game birds or mammals.

1.  Unless otherwise specified by Commission regulation, it is unlawful to hunt:

(a) Any game bird or game mammal with any gun capable of firing more than one round with one continuous pull of the trigger, or with any full steel, full steel core, full metal jacket, tracer or incendiary bullet or shell, or any shotgun larger than number 10 gauge.

(b) Big game mammals in any manner other than with a rifle, held in the hand, that exerts at least 1,000 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards, or with a longbow and arrow which meet the specifications established by Commission regulation.

(c) Small game mammals in any manner other than with a handgun, shotgun, rifle, longbow and arrow or by means of falconry.

(d) Game birds with any rifle or handgun, or in any manner other than with a shotgun held in the hand, with a longbow and arrow or by means of falconry.

(e) Migratory game birds with any shotgun capable of holding more than three shells.

(f) Any game bird or game mammal with the aid of any artificial light.

(g) Any big game mammal, except mountain lions, with a dog of any breed.

2.  Nothing in this section prohibits the use of dogs in the hunting of game birds or small game mammals.

[Part 2:101:1947; A 1949, 292; 1943 NCL § 3035.02]—(NRS A 1957, 175; 1959, 385; 1969, 1360; 1973, 671; 1991, 266)

and NAC 503.142 Firearms. The board of wildlife commissioners hereby establishes the following exceptions to paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 503.150:

4. A person may hunt big game mammals with a rifle if the rifle uses a centerfire cartridge of caliber .22 or larger.