PDA

View Full Version : If you could design the perfect rig...

LRS143
04-26-12, 11:22
If you could design the perfect rig from the shoulders down to the belt and everywhere in between what would it look like? What would it do? How would it fit? What would it hold? Etc...? Thinking about a new product here and really want user input.

Chameleox
04-26-12, 12:11
What's your targeted market?

LRS143
04-26-12, 12:30
Military, Law Enforcement

Chameleox
04-26-12, 13:10
I can speak to the LEO side, from my experience.
Here's what I would want in a multipurpose police chest rig:

-I envision domestic LE being married to the AR 15 for the conceivable future. So, I don't think integral mag pouches would be a problem. It would save me money and weight. Loadout wise, my preference is for three on the chest, in a single row (not stacked). MOLLE on the front of the mags is fine, but see below ref. velcro. Retention-wise, I could work with bungees, but friction/elastic, like the Emdom IAP, is growing on me. While I don't like using double mag pouches on my chest, it would be a great way to get a radio up off your hips for some ops. hmmm...

-Enough MOLLE to mount an IFAK on either side of the rig, with an extra column to mount a tourniquet holder inboard of the kit (closer to centerline). I'd let the end user add the pouch/tq holder, based on unit SOPs and personal preference.

-Add the admin pouch that many makers put on the back of the chest rigs. Keep it simple; it needs to hold a map, a small notebook, a pen or two, and maybe a compass or light, and not in separate compartments. A couple pen slots and dummy cord loops would be nice here, but keep it simple, and make sure it lays flat. Paracorded zipper for the closure, not hook and loop.

-Add hook and loop to the front for POLICE placards or other IFF. Same goes for the back of the harness; H harnesses would seem to work better for this. It sounds stupid, but the harness straps usually cover badges and nametags, so something else that says "I'm a good guy" should be visible to the front.

-Should be low-pro enough to fit under a parka or a very large shirt (depending on armor). Harness should allow for comfortable wear over uniform shirt and armor, or an external uniform vest, but be easily adjustable to cinch down for wearing slick (for informal training or low pro work). Loop on the harness for radio mics, etc. Include buckles, clips, and straps to remove rig from harness and mount to MOLLE vest a la Mayflower.

-Stock it in all the cool guy colors and camo, but don't forget Target Indicator Black; many of us may still have to wear black due to uniform standards.

Basically, take ATS's M4 Modular Chest Harness, pare it down to 3 mags, add velcro in front and on the harness, and add in the quick release/attach hardware, and you're close.

LRS143
04-26-12, 14:35
Well, okay then... I'll forward all that to my TSD (Tactical Stitch Dude) and see what I get back.
Anyone else with ideas keep 'um coming! I think Chameleox might have left a little space on the server for a few more ideas.

remington79
04-26-12, 15:37
A couple things I'd like to see in a rig/ pouches is NO velcro. I don't trust it, it's noisy, and it doesn't work when it gets dirty. I also don't like open top mag pouches. I want my mags retained AND protected. If you make a double mag pouch I want a wide inner elastic type band to hold the second mag in place and to help keep battle rattle down. Add enough room for an IFAK and a dump pouch. I would also go with an H harness since they seem to distribute weight better and are easier to put on and take off.

LRS143
04-26-12, 15:50
I was thinking single mag pouches, but may do a double too. I like the IAP idea, but already have something along those lines (but not) in my head.
How about a removable top flap for those that don't want them and those that do. It would of course be very secure when on.

Chameleox
04-26-12, 17:24
If you could do the removable flap, along with the single-double capable retention that remington79 was talking about, it'd be great.

Apricotshot
04-26-12, 18:37
My only problem with double mag pouches when mounted on the middle of the body is that it makes prone uncomfortable. I would have my mags tapered from double on the sides to singles on the front of the body.

A layered outlook at the rig would be helpful I think. Also as I think everyone will say is the weight issue.

J_B
04-27-12, 17:04
John Willis makes a 3 mag single stacked with mini IFAK already.

He calls it the 'cop rig'. I had one of the first made a year or so ago.

Had to get rid of it as I started carrying the Micro Rig as well as my SKD PC.

http://originalsoegear.com/coprig.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J8127
04-27-12, 20:35
The biggest weakness in my kit has been and continues to be a pack. I have to carry a 117G, associated equipment, and a few days of supplies. I have tried every bag known to man and disliked them all. I wish I could just molle it directly to my vest but that doesn't work for anything other than direct action.

Lone_Ranger
04-28-12, 13:29
On the LEO side. A patrolman already has a duty rig, in leather or nylon. You're talking duty belt, holster/pistol, and pouches for 2 extra pistol magazines, handcuffs, baton, pepper spray, radio, and Taser/holster.

You need an efficient way to add a blow out kit, ammo for shotgun and/or rifle, and maybe an extra pistol mag or two, on top of what you already have. It has to work with what you are already carrying without causing interference. When you park the cruiser, and step out, you need to be able to grab your patrol rifle, and this additional gear, and have it secured to your person, and ready to move out, in a minute or less.

You've got a couple of solutions

1. Bandoleer, rapid deployment bag, man purse....
2. Plate Carrier w/ pouches
3. Leg Rig (where you can leave the top QD buckle attached to your rig, and just clip the bag on, and buckle the leg straps, when you step out)