PDA

View Full Version : ISMI Glock Spring and Guide Rod

C4IGrant
08-26-06, 18:54
I recently decided that it was time to do a little PM on my G19. So I bought an ISMI spring and SS guide rod.

To tell if the weapon recoiled differently, I first shot a couple mags with the old spring. I then installed the new guide rod and spring and ran a couple more mags. The gun felt smoother during recoil and allowed me to be faster on follow up shots. I will be running several hundred more rounds through it to make sure there are no issues with combo.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/ISMI/GLock%20mainspring.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/ISMI/Guide%20rod.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/ISMI/G19%20with%20ISMI%20guide%20rod%20and%20spring.JPG

cheaptrick
08-26-06, 19:36
Do you have the factory Glock barrel or an aftermarket??

Dave Berryhill
08-26-06, 20:17
I've always wanted to try one of those. How is the spring held captive on the guide rod? Is that a screw on the end of the guide rod?

C4IGrant
08-27-06, 07:23
Do you have the factory Glock barrel or an aftermarket??

I do not have any Glock barrels.

C4

C4IGrant
08-27-06, 07:24
I've always wanted to try one of those. How is the spring held captive on the guide rod? Is that a screw on the end of the guide rod?

Dave, there is a screw at the end that captures it. I degreased the screw and put loctite on it and cranked it down.

C4

LOKNLOD
08-27-06, 09:17
The gun felt smoother during recoil and allowed me to be faster on follow up shots.

Grant,

What's different about this setup that could lead to those results? The guide rod is heavier I'm sure, but what about the spring?

Mark Hueser
08-27-06, 13:04
Grant,

Who makes the guide rod?

Thanks,

Mark

C4IGrant
08-27-06, 13:18
Grant,

What's different about this setup that could lead to those results? The guide rod is heavier I'm sure, but what about the spring?

I think it is really about the quality CS spring. My weapon also had about 8k through it as well so the stiffer spring simply reduced felt recoil.

C4

C4IGrant
08-27-06, 13:18
Grant,

Who makes the guide rod?

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark! guide rod is made by ISMI as well.

C4

C4IGrant
08-27-06, 13:20
On a side note, I know the Glock is a "plastic" gun, but I just feel better having a solid steel guide rod VS a plastic one (call me crazy).

C4

GastonG-NoVa
08-27-06, 13:59
How much are they for a Glock 23?

C4IGrant
08-27-06, 14:35
How much are they for a Glock 23?

The captured guide rods for all Glocks are $22.95 and the springs for all Glocks are $8.95.

C4

TacDoc
08-27-06, 15:43
The captured guide rods for all Glocks are $22.95 and the springs for all Glocks are $8.95.

C4

I'm interested also in the SS guide rod and ISMI sping. I've seen the ISMI flat wire recoil spring comes in 18# and 22# for the G19. Which one are you using? With what ammo?

C4IGrant
08-27-06, 15:48
I'm interested also in the SS guide rod and ISMI sping. I've seen the ISMI flat wire recoil spring comes in 18# and 22# for the G19. Which one are you using? With what ammo?

I am running the 18 and shoot Winchester white box, S&B and UMC for training.

C4

PE556
08-28-06, 07:39
I bought the ISMI CS spring and a tungsten non-captive guide rod for my G17 about a year and a half ago. No problems to report as of yet.

I’ve heard that the tungsten guide rods tend to crack with high round counts, but it will be a while before my round count makes this a concern for me.

edit: to correct my thought.

Robb Jensen
08-28-06, 07:48
I’ve heard that the tungsten guide rods tend to crack before the SS ones, but it will be a while before my round count makes this a concern for me.

Tungtsen is brittle. Dawson Precision makes a tungsen rod for 1911s that has a stainless cap (end toward bbl link) that's a whole lot less likely to break (just the rod portion is tungsten). Its held together with a screw. I don't know if the offer the same for Glocks. My STI has a tungsten rod all one piece (not Dawson) so it's just a matter of time before it cracks. I carry a stainless rod in my range bag for when it gives up.

Cold Zero
08-28-06, 10:44

C4

do you sell the captured s.s. guide rods?

thanks.

C4IGrant
08-28-06, 10:48
do you sell the captured s.s. guide rods?

thanks.

Yes I do.

C4

C4IGrant
09-01-06, 08:10
All, I now have these captured guide rods and springs in for all Glock mid and large framed models.

C4

das028
09-26-06, 14:26
I think it is really about the quality CS spring. My weapon also had about 8k through it as well so the stiffer spring simply reduced felt recoil.

C4

I've actually felt quite the opposite. I lighter spring reduced "felt" recoil to me.

M4arc
11-23-06, 09:44
While I'll be the first to say, "keep your GLOCK, STOCK" I recently picked up a SS Guide Rod from HotRod9mm for my G32. I used a standard OEM spring but it does come with a bushing for a Wolff spring. I've used my G32 several times since installing it running 357SIG and 9mm through it without any issues. I'm happy with it :)

madryan
11-23-06, 10:39
I've had that exact setup on my G-19 for several thousand rounds and it seems to work really well. I still keep a couple of the cheapie plastic replacements around just in case.

Robb Jensen
11-23-06, 21:35
I've actually felt quite the opposite. I lighter spring reduced "felt" recoil to me.

That is 100% true. A lighter spring does allow the slide to impact the frame harder but since the mass (the slide) cycles faster, felt recoil will be less. You really can't stop recoil you can only manage it. A lighter spring and proper grip and stance will manage recoil best. The quicker you can get it done and over with the less you'll feel. This is why you'll see lightened slides and bolt carriers on competition (IPSC/USPSA) guns.

Here's a good video of Todd Jarrett at Blackwater explaining grip etc. Todd Jarrett is one of the best pistol shooters in the U.S. I shoot USPSA with him at Fredericksburg and Blackwater several times a year, he's a hell of a nice guy and not a prima donna.

Todd Jarrett video (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A86.ORyTZ2ZFnVkAbxsCP88F/SIG=139t95sah/EXP=1164425491/**http%3a//video.google.com/videoplay%3fdocid=-4584332856867071363%26sourceid=popularfeed)

Voodoochild
11-24-06, 09:53
That is a pretty good video and very helpful. It pretty much tells me that my shooting style sucks and I need to work on it.

graffex
02-25-07, 19:25
I do not have any Glock barrels.

C4

Sorry to drag up a old thread but why is it that you dont have any Glock barrels? What barrels do you prefer and why? As a new Glock owner I'm curious.

Dport
02-25-07, 19:57
That is 100% true. A lighter spring does allow the slide to impact the frame harder but since the mass (the slide) cycles faster, felt recoil will be less. You really can't stop recoil you can only manage it. A lighter spring and proper grip and stance will manage recoil best. The quicker you can get it done and over with the less you'll feel. This is why you'll see lightened slides and bolt carriers on competition (IPSC/USPSA) guns.

Here's a good video of Todd Jarrett at Blackwater explaining grip etc. Todd Jarrett is one of the best pistol shooters in the U.S. I shoot USPSA with him at Fredericksburg and Blackwater several times a year, he's a hell of a nice guy and not a prima donna.

Todd Jarrett video (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A86.ORyTZ2ZFnVkAbxsCP88F/SIG=139t95sah/EXP=1164425491/**http%3a//video.google.com/videoplay%3fdocid=-4584332856867071363%26sourceid=popularfeed)

I'm with you on the recoil. Quick question what spring do you use. I liked the 13# ISMI that I had two years ago, but it's worn out now and I'm playing with a 15#.

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 20:06
Sorry to drag up a old thread but why is it that you dont have any Glock barrels? What barrels do you prefer and why? As a new Glock owner I'm curious.

Just never got into stocking them.

C4

Dport
02-25-07, 20:22
Just never got into stocking them.

C4

I think there is some confusion. I took your comments to mean you didn't use Glock barrels on your Glocks and replaced them with an aftermarket version.

graffex
02-26-07, 08:48
I think there is some confusion. I took your comments to mean you didn't use Glock barrels on your Glocks and replaced them with an aftermarket version.

Yeah, thats what I though as well and thats what I was referring too.