PDA

View Full Version : Raven Concealment Systems M&P9 Shield Phantom Holsters!

dougwg
04-27-12, 12:46
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/quick-ship-products/production-phantom-holsters?product_id=153

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/image/cache/data/Shield2%20500-500x500.jpg

Sensei
04-27-12, 13:40
Nothing against RCS, but I'm more interested in their new AIWB holster for the Shield.

TomF
04-27-12, 15:06
Nothing against RCS, but I'm more interested in their new AIWB holster for the Shield.

It will be available in the coming weeks.

Cosmo M3
04-27-12, 15:15
interested in the Vanguard 2 for the Shield

N2CH_556
04-27-12, 15:36
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/quick-ship-products/production-phantom-holsters?product_id=153

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/image/cache/data/Shield2%20500-500x500.jpg

Wow, that M&P Shield + RCS Phantom combo has got to be super low profile.

IZinterrogator
05-04-12, 23:53
It is, got mine today. I feel like my full-size M&P is totally obvious when concealed without an overgarment like a sweatshirt or jacket, but the Shield disappears with just a T-shirt.

vicious_cb
05-05-12, 04:49
Wow, that M&P Shield + RCS Phantom combo has got to be super low profile.

Such a huge holster for a tiny pistol.

Palmguy
05-05-12, 09:24
Such a huge holster for a tiny pistol.

It might seem that way but it's really not....especially when compared with another popular holster:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/DSC_2062.jpg

It is also very, very thin...adds almost nothing to the already slim width of the Shield.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/DSC_2060.jpg

Beat Trash
05-05-12, 09:55
I placed an order with RCS last week for my Shield. I used my work email address to set up the account. After returning to work from my off-days, I had a series of emails, tracking the progress of my order. I got an email Thursday stating that my order was going from production to final finishing. I fully expect it to ship this week.

Palmguy's side photo now has me excited about how thin the entire package is. My Shield is my new BUG while at work. When not at work, it's what I will carry when trying to go as "low profile" as possible. Such as when out on a first date, ect. (I'm a 47yr old recently divorced LEO. When I was 18 and dating, I worried about concealing a condom from my date. Now, I worry about concealing a pistol. Wow...)

I had actually called RCS and spoke with Tom Fineis on the phone about the Phantom/Shield combination. I believe he said they were devoting an entire production line to the Shield.

This will be my first RCS holster. The only thing that prevented me from ordering from them in the past was the wait times.

Depending on how I like the Phantom for the Shield, that may have to change. Currently any gun I would want a holster for is on their "Quick Ship" list.

I'm personally looking forward to trying out my RCS & Shield.

skywalkrNCSU
05-06-12, 21:38
So is that an IWB holster and the way the guy in the picture is wearing it is just to show it? What are the benefits of this holster versus the other similar ones on the market like the comp tac minotaur?

Palmguy
05-06-12, 21:46
So is that an IWB holster and the way the guy in the picture is wearing it is just to show it? What are the benefits of this holster versus the other similar ones on the market like the comp tac minotaur?

Out of the box (so to speak) it is an OWB holster. It is modular however, and Raven sells IWB attachments as well (IWB loops pictured in my picture above).

skywalkrNCSU
05-06-12, 22:22
Out of the box (so to speak) it is an OWB holster. It is modular however, and Raven sells IWB attachments as well (IWB loops pictured in my picture above).

Gotcha, that makes sense, thanks!

Beat Trash
05-12-12, 08:46
Need some help guys.

I just received my RCS Phantom holster for my Shield. This is also my first RCS holster.

I've been using kydex holsters for 11 years, but they all had tension adjustment screws with a rubber washer in between to adjust the tension.

The retention on the RCS holster is tight! One has to really pull to get the gun out. When you draw the gun, you can see the two peaces of kydex separating at the top rivets ever so slightly to allow the gun to come out.

You can see a lot of wear marks on the kydex where the holster is retaining the pistol at the front of the trigger guard. Keep in mind, I've only drawn the gun 6 times from this holster. Already made wear marks on the front sides of the trigger guard, where the holster is retaining the gun.

I want some tension to retain the gun. But...

I am wondering if this is normal for this design. Will this improve with time? I plan on contacting RCS on Monday. But as I've never used their product before, I don't know if this is normal. Or if my sample was made a bit too tight.

For what it's worth, the magazine carrier is great. It holds the mag close enough to conceal well, yet will be easy to draw from.

I like the overall design and attention to detail of the holster and mag carrier and will keep them.

It's just the retention of the gun is just a bit more than I'm used to.

Sry0fcr
05-12-12, 10:04
It's pretty normal, I don't remember if mine loosened up or not since just I trained around it and gave a good yank during the draw stroke.

Beat Trash
05-12-12, 16:09
Thanks. That's what I was curious about, whether this is normal or if mine was a bit tighter than normal.

At least I won't have to worry about the gun calling out if I run, ect.

TomF
05-12-12, 17:35
Need some help guys.

I just received my RCS Phantom holster for my Shield. This is also my first RCS holster.

I've been using kydex holsters for 11 years, but they all had tension adjustment screws with a rubber washer in between to adjust the tension.

The retention on the RCS holster is tight! One has to really pull to get the gun out. When you draw the gun, you can see the two peaces of kydex separating at the top rivets ever so slightly to allow the gun to come out.

You can see a lot of wear marks on the kydex where the holster is retaining the pistol at the front of the trigger guard. Keep in mind, I've only drawn the gun 6 times from this holster. Already made wear marks on the front sides of the trigger guard, where the holster is retaining the gun.

I am wondering if this is normal for this design. Will this improve with time? I plan on contacting RCS on Monday. But as I've never used their product before, I don't know if this is normal. Or if my sample was made a bit too tight.

For what it's worth, the magazine carrier is great. It holds the mag close enough to conceal well, yet will be easy to draw from.

I like the overall design and attention to detail of the holster and mag carrier and will keep them.

Discussing "proper retention" online is difficult, as there is no measure or scale we can really use.

Every now and then a customer reports a tight holster. What we recommend is 20-30 draw strokes and if that doesn't get the holster where you want it to be, let us know and we'll send you a shipping label to have it sent back for inspection/adjustment/replacement.

If it has to come back to us, it will only take a day or two to get it sorted out. Please keep me posted.

Joerenew
05-13-12, 09:44
Wipe it out with a silicone rag. It will slick it up alot. Another trick you can try is to cover your gun with painters tape and draw it about 30-40 times. At palmettotacticalgear.com they do that for you before shipping and it really shows in the final product. Good luck.

Need some help guys.

TomF
05-13-12, 10:52
Wipe it out with a silicone rag. It will slick it up alot. Another trick you can try is to cover your gun with painters tape and draw it about 30-40 times. At palmettotacticalgear.com they do that for you before shipping and it really shows in the final product. Good luck.

Kydex doesn't "stretch," so wrapping the item with a material doesn't really do much to affect retention. Tight holsters usually mean a sharp edge somewhere on the pistol or light is catching inside the holster, and a few draw strokes smooth out that area.

Every holster has slight dimensional differences (even ones built on machines), and every pistol/light has some slight tolerance differences as well. Every now and then, these two match up in opposite directions and it causes a tight holster. Properly reforming the holster (or problem area) is the correct fix.

TheJRK
05-13-12, 11:33
Thanks. That's what I was curious about, whether this is normal or if mine was a bit tighter than normal.

Mine was pretty tight too but I just sat on the couch watching TV and put the pistol in, then pulled it out.

After about 40 or so repetitions of that, it was a lot easier to draw.

Joerenew
05-13-12, 13:37
I meant to protect the finish of the gun, while you break it in and then you can see where the holster is rubbing as well.

Kydex doesn't "stretch," so wrapping the item with a material doesn't really do much to affect retention. Tight holsters usually mean a sharp edge somewhere on the pistol or light is catching inside the holster, and a few draw strokes smooth out that area.

Every holster has slight dimensional differences (even ones built on machines), and every pistol/light has some slight tolerance differences as well. Every now and then, these two match up in opposite directions and it causes a tight holster. Properly reforming the holster (or problem area) is the correct fix.

outlaw45
11-11-12, 15:10
After seeing the side-by-side of the Raven and Comp-tac, I just ordered a Raven for my new Shield. I have the Comp-tac and love it and it would have been cheaper to just get a new kydex shell for it, but I really wanted to try the Raven holster. It seems like they have a tighter retention.

BioLayne
11-11-12, 17:14
I have a phantom for my G19 and ordered one for my shield. They are definitely tight but I like it for a few reasons 1) with a no-safety gun like a glock I don't want it falling out or slipping by accident 2) I don't want someone else having an easy grab at my gun if they snuck up on me (assuming they saw it somehow) I know it's a long shot but still. 3) after about 20-30 draw strokes with it, there was less tension and made it easier to draw but still tight enough to retain well. Sure it's go holster wear on my glock now, but I bought that glock as my carry gun for protection, not to look pretty.