PDA

View Full Version : Akdal MKA 1919 Semi-Shot Gun

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-27-12, 19:03
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/82626

12g Shotgun on a AR type layout seems interesting. Bud's has these in stock, I thought they were vaporware? I saw reports around SHOT, but everyone hemmed and hawwed about ATF problems and importation. Did that all go away?

I barely trust Turks with my coffee, not sure about a firearm. Interesting looking gun, for three gun. Wonder if the mags are compatible and if it is anywhere reliable out of the box. Wonder how it compares to the Saiga when they are all gamed out.

deadlyfire
04-27-12, 19:08
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/82626

12g Shotgun on a AR type layout seems interesting. Bud's has these in stock, I thought they were vaporware? I saw reports around SHOT, but everyone hemmed and hawwed about ATF problems and importation. Did that all go away?

I barely trust Turks with my coffee, not sure about a firearm. Interesting looking gun, for three gun. Wonder if the mags are compatible and if it is anywhere reliable out of the box. Wonder how it compares to the Saiga when they are all gamed out.

I haven't read a single bad thing from Tromix about the Adkal over at the saiga forums.

lordofbarbeque
04-27-12, 19:22
Shot one this weekend. Tromix as well as others are doing SBR and folding stocks on them. Where the fun ( as they say ) occurs is playing with the gas buffer system thru changing the bushings.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-27-12, 20:30
They seem about the same base price as a Saiga but do they need as much 'work' to get the bugs worked out?

Replace the stock and add a BAD lever are about all I can see.

lengthofpull
04-28-12, 01:14
Replace the stock

It is my understanding that the stock, while it looks like an A1/A2, attaches completely differently to the rest of the weapon and not easily replaced. Notice how what would be the lower receiver and buttstock on an ar15 is one whole piece on the MKA 1919.

-LOP

Kowalski
04-28-12, 05:25
The main advantage I see with the MKA 1919 as compared to a Saiga is the LRBHO and magwell out of the box. If the aftermarket support continues to develop, it could get interesting.

jesuvuah
04-28-12, 05:54
From what I have heard, from sources I trust who were working on these guns, the quality control has been dropping with every batch they get. Could be growing pains, or it could be a sinking ship.

I ran aks exclusively for several years and I remeber drooling over the converted saiga shotguns. I never could bring myself to drop the coin. Not only was a good (key word good) conversion unit pricey, but the price tag on getting a good supply of high capacity mags was crazy. And all for a gun that would not see much use. So I always just decided that my 870 was good enough for the small role that a shotty plays in my life.

I hope that the akdal goes better then the saiga, but once again it seems that mags are pretty pricey.

kyrin88
04-28-12, 08:03
Here is a video you guys might enjoy. Its a video of the weapon in converted form doing mag dump tests. Converted by Krebs customs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzh1HxRxp80

Docwade
05-05-12, 22:20
I'm still toying with getting one of those akdals to mod.

WARRIOR84
05-09-12, 20:51
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one soon too. They look awesome tricked out I just wonder how it's gonna compare to my S12.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

WARRIOR84
05-11-12, 09:27
Mines on order. Tromix is working on an aluminum lower that would make customization alot easier so we can just hurry up and wait.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

jgillaspy
05-22-12, 12:52
I just finished the modifications on mine this last weekend. I test fired it yesterday and had a blast (literally). Here are some pictures of my modifications:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/jgillaspy/Akdal%20MKA-1919/StockandPGAdapterDetail.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/jgillaspy/Akdal%20MKA-1919/ReceiverDetail.jpg

The conversion parts I used were all from TROMIX. I didn't like the looks of the Firebird Precision stock adapter and you have to send in your receiver for their PG adapter. I used a table-top band saw for the cutting which worked well.

Currently Firebird is the only place offering non-oem mags. Hopefully that will change soon as I can't afford $140 magazines...

jgillaspy

MadDog
05-24-12, 21:23
jgillaspy:

Will the MKA 1919 accept AR15 ambi-safties? Also are the dims of the mag release the same as an AR so that I can install a Norgon or similar mag release? You are the only one posting that actually has one and has used one. I cannot glean answers to my questions from looking at the videos.

MadDog :confused:

jgillaspy
05-24-12, 22:48
jgillaspy:

Will the MKA 1919 accept AR15 ambi-safties? Also are the dims of the mag release the same as an AR so that I can install a Norgon or similar mag release? You are the only one posting that actually has one and has used one. I cannot glean answers to my questions from looking at the videos.

MadDog :confused:

All of the "B.A.D." stuff will work. The only guys I know that have a system to use true AR safeties are the folks at Firebird Precision. Unfortunately you have to send your lower to them for installation to make sure everything works as expected.

As far and the Norgon goes, ask Jim @ Firebird Precision. He will know for sure.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

jgillaspy

MadDog
05-25-12, 10:16
jgillaspy:

Thanks for the response. One last question: is the stock existing safety made of steel or plastic? If it is steel, then I can just drill out the right side, tap & thread it, mill a keyway notch and then add a right side lever. That is probably what firebird does anyway. Regardless I am ordering an MKA 1919 this week and will know soon enough if a Norgon can be fitted.

MadDog

MFWIC2
05-25-12, 10:24
You mean SBS.

Shot one this weekend. Tromix as well as others are doing SBR and folding stocks on them. Where the fun ( as they say ) occurs is playing with the gas buffer system thru changing the bushings.

jgillaspy
05-25-12, 10:56
jgillaspy:

Thanks for the response. One last question: is the stock existing safety made of steel or plastic? If it is steel, then I can just drill out the right side, tap & thread it, mill a keyway notch and then add a right side lever. That is probably what firebird does anyway. Regardless I am ordering an MKA 1919 this week and will know soon enough if a Norgon can be fitted.

MadDog

Yes, it is metal. I remember it being shiny where the retaining pin rubbed the lever.

JG

DDgunslinger
05-25-12, 11:39
I have been running my MKA1919, for about 5 months now. I started the break in period with very heavy loads and worked my way down. I have about 800rds through it now. It has run very well, even with the lighter loads, bird shot and etc. My biggest complaint is the fact that the flat top upper rail, is a little out of spec. So it can be a pain putting after market sights/optics on it. Overall, I have been very please with the weapon, and would take it over a Saiga 12. I will eventually, get a TROMIX conversion kit and start making modifications here and there and it will be my 3gun shotgun for Tactical/Open Class.

MadDog
05-25-12, 11:39
jgillaspy: I noticed you installed an AR stock and pistol grip adapter. What, and how many "USA made" parts did you have to add to make it 922r compliant?

MadDog

jgillaspy
05-25-12, 22:43
jgillaspy: I noticed you installed an AR stock and pistol grip adapter. What, and how many "USA made" parts did you have to add to make it 922r compliant?

MadDog

I have replaced the following parts with USA-made versions:

Trigger
Disconnector
PG
Stock
Gas Piston

Everything is from TROMIX, purchased from Carolina Shooters Supply. It took me a couple of hours to install everything due to cutting the stock and PG and fighting with the safety-retainer pin. According to what I've read so far internal chokes do NOT count as a countable part, while external chokes (like the Saiga uses) do count.

Firebird Precision has their versions of the same parts, but you must send in your receiver for them to install their FCG and PG adapter.

Hope this helps,

jgillaspy

MadDog
06-04-12, 14:32
Jgillaspy or anyone else: Do you know if 2 3/4 shells feed and work well out of the 3" magazines? I know it comes with both but the source I want to use for more mags only has a bunch of 3"ers. I am going to try and use the 1919 for a three gun match in three weeks.

MadDog

jgillaspy
06-04-12, 23:13
The 2 3/4" work out of both magazines, just don't try it the other way. The feed lips are shorter on the 3", so I believe using the 2 3/4" with 3" shells will bind.

jgillaspy

WARRIOR84
06-04-12, 23:47
I'll second this^

MadDog
06-06-12, 10:34
I pick my MKA 1919 up this afternoon from my local shop. I purchased one off Gunbroker last week and it arrives at my dealers today. Just ordered some Tromix parts (stock adapter, folding skeliton stock, shark brake, trigger group, grip adapter, and piston). Guess I will be staying up late nights to get the mods done before my next 3 gun match. Oh, forgot I have a dozen mags coming as well.

MadDog :shout:

MadDog
06-07-12, 08:03
Well my MKA1919 arrived at my LGS and had a brief chance to test it out. Didn't have much time as I got to the shop only an hour before closing and it took 20 munutes for my paperwork to go through.

I ran 50 round of various slugs through it with an Insight MRDS mounted for the optic. Before starting I removed the cheap ass plastic front sight tower as this will be for 3-gun and the MRDS (may swap out with T1 Micro) is all I need for an optic. I pulled the MRDS off of my 10" AR57 upper and the crazy thing was that POI was dead on at 15 yards with no adjustment needed. 15 yards is the "average" distance for the poppers and plates (bird shot) at our local match with a few gong shots (slugs) out to 60 yards. It comes with full, modified, & cylinder bore chokes and had the cylinder bore choke installed at the factory. I left that one in only after checking to make sure I wasn't using a full choke with slugs :nono:.

Used four brands of slugs, with only one slug being low recoil. As stated in the manual the low recoil slug did not have enough power to fully eject (stovepiped). I was thinking about getting some of the stainless bushings so I can use reduced recoil slugs and shot but the plates and poppers at our matches are set at odd angles and generally shot on the move. If you are not facing them dead on reduced loads many times will not drop them. Full power loads work great even shooting on the move at odd angles.

Some parts are pretty cheaply made but all in all the fit and finish is good, it functions well, and for only $600 I have a shotty for 3-gun matches that has the same ergos as my AR with very little mods that need to be made. Recoil was not bad (less then an 870) and will probably be deminished even more with the install of a heavier Tromix skelaton stock and shark brake.

That's all for now,
MadDog

MadDog
06-12-12, 14:45
My Tromix parts came in yesterday and I installed them last night and did a little tweeking this morning. I do not have a mill so I had to measure & mark with calipers and a carpenters square, & then make the cuts with a finish saw. Used a dremel to trim closer to my mark and finished up with a couple of files. Came out pretty well. I used a Magpul MOE rubber overmold grip which is very comfortable but the duck bill does not have the same profile as the lower does. I may try different grips but this MOE feels great as is. The buffer tube on the Magpul ACS stock looks a little skinny becaues it is an Enidine Hydraulic Stock Buffer/Tube which really eliminates most of the heavy recoil from using full power loads. I talked with Tony the other day and he says he was able to use light Walmart loads (1,000 to 1,200 fps) by adding his pre-load bushings. I am going to pick one up and give it a try.

The parts I changed or added are:
Tromix shark brake
Tromix piston
Tromix trigger & disconnecter
Tromix grip adapter
Magpul MOE rubber overmold grip
Tromix stock adapter
Pig Nose adapter
Enadine hydraulic shock/buffer tube
Magpul ACS stock

Well, this is going to be my 3-gun shotty and the fact that I have the same optic on my rifle and the same ergos should help considerably. The only drag is no high cap mags yet so I just stuff a dozen 5 rounders in two rolly-polly dump pouches.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/DSC00241.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/DSC00244.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/DSC00246.jpg

la-li-lu-le-lo
06-20-12, 19:48
I've been eyeing these lately. The price and the features they come with out of the box is tempting me to buy one. I've been becoming more familiar with the AR platform thanks to my M&P 15-22.

la-li-lu-le-lo
06-21-12, 01:24
How's the field strip on this rifle? I had a Saiga 12 and I loved how easily and quickly it was to take apart and put back together.

jgillaspy
06-21-12, 01:38
How's the field strip on this rifle? I had a Saiga 12 and I loved how easily and quickly it was to take apart and put back together.

Front half is easy, but separating the upper and lower is a PITA. Once you do so the rest is a snap, bit I don't plan on separating them too often.

JG

Dragk913
06-28-12, 10:21
That looks awesome!
I've never been much of a "Tactical" Shotgun kinda guy, but this is making me rethink that..

Dragk913
06-28-12, 10:22
**DOUBLE POST**
:mad:

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-28-12, 11:06
My Tromix parts came in yesterday and I installed them last night and did a little tweeking this morning. I do not have a mill so I had to measure & mark with calipers and a carpenters square, & then make the cuts with a finish saw. Used a dremel to trim closer to my mark and finished up with a couple of files. Came out pretty well. I used a Magpul MOE rubber overmold grip which is very comfortable but the duck bill does not have the same profile as the lower does. I may try different grips but this MOE feels great as is. The buffer tube on the Magpul ACS stock looks a little skinny becaues it is an Enidine Hydraulic Stock Buffer/Tube which really eliminates most of the heavy recoil from using full power loads. I talked with Tony the other day and he says he was able to use light Walmart loads (1,000 to 1,200 fps) by adding his pre-load bushings. I am going to pick one up and give it a try.

The parts I changed or added are:
Tromix shark brake
Tromix piston
Tromix trigger & disconnecter
Tromix grip adapter
Magpul MOE rubber overmold grip
Tromix stock adapter
Pig Nose adapter
Enadine hydraulic shock/buffer tube
Magpul ACS stock

Well, this is going to be my 3-gun shotty and the fact that I have the same optic on my rifle and the same ergos should help considerably. The only drag is no high cap mags yet so I just stuff a dozen 5 rounders in two rolly-polly dump pouches.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/DSC00241.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/DSC00244.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/DSC00246.jpg

Sweet looking. Which matches are yougoing to shoot it? What's the full boat price for what you have there?

Thanks!

TomD
06-28-12, 14:41
For a ready to run 3-gun Akdal, check out Firebird Firearms. IIRC, they also have 10 rd. magazines.

C.Edwards
07-03-12, 16:44
Pretty cool, but what's the allure over say a mossberg 930 or similar? Do they make magazines that hold more than the 5 or something?

C.Edwards
07-03-12, 16:47
^^^ oops didn't see post above mine. 10 round magazine makes it more worth desirable + the ability to re-load quickly.

MadDog
07-05-12, 22:10
C.Edwards:

The allure for me is that the transition from AR to Shotgun is seamless, because the ergos are identical. Even though people always tell me they prefer straight stocked shotguns I can't believe the transition or feel is better then keeping your platform the same for both rifle and shotgun. So far I only have a dozen 5 round mags that I keep in two Maxpedition dump pouches (they orient perfectly for fast mag changes) but with a last round hold open like an AR, I can do two mag changes for 10 rounds "much" faster then anyone I shoot with that has to stuff 9 rounds in their mag tube.

MadDog

C.Edwards
07-06-12, 18:35
That makes sense especially it you set them up similar.

Syndicate
07-26-12, 14:01
food for thought on mags

hey new here, but I know a few guys from the saiga forums frequent here

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/79279-my-ar-10-lower-with-mka-1919-mags/

I keep seeing tons of people ask about why this hasn't happened, this is my AR-10 lower with an MKA mag