PDA

View Full Version : To much stuff dont know what i need.

navymancdf
04-27-12, 22:07
Ok so i have experience with weapons cleaning and all that but that is military and they supply you with a cheap ass cleaning kit and some CLP. So i was at the store and look at cleaning stuff and i got very over whelmed. Can some one help me with the basics here. i.e what basic cleaning stuff should i start with and and tools for care and maintance. Thank you guys for your input.

Scoby
04-27-12, 22:22
For a purely basic kit.

Boresnake
CLP - lube for barrel, lower, etc.
Mobil 1 10w-50 motor oil for BCG
Q-Tips
Old toothbrush

If you want to take it a step further, and I recommend it, grab some Slip 2000 Carbon Killer for cleaning the BCG.

mallowpufft
04-27-12, 22:33
This is my cleaning/basic maintenance kit.
Patches,
flashlight,
Chamber brush,
Chamber length rod (the rest of the pieces that screw in are elsewhere but I like to have them handy),
M-pro7 (or some other clp),
Sight tool,
Swabs,
Small flat head driver+Allen key combo,
Bore snake,
Otis cleaning tip kit,
One pre wetted remoil cloth
(not the best stuff, I know but of it's raining out I give the rifle a wipe down with that before I drive home)
I take this with me to the range and use it at home. Self contained and doesn't take up too much space.
I also have a standard gerber multi tool in my range bag.

The whole set up is probably a bit of overkill but just swapping out jags allows me to clean all my rifles and pistols. Also keeps the wife happy because she knows where things go if I leave them out and means that I don't have a god excuse for not packing up the box when I'm done.

http://img.tapatalk.com/43ae40f4-6502-2c9f.jpg
It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

Todd00000
04-27-12, 22:44
they supply you with a cheap ass cleaning kit and some CLP. .

For a purely basic kit.

Boresnake
CLP - lube for barrel, lower, etc.
*edit*
Q-Tips
Old toothbrush

If you want to take it a step further, and I recommend it, grab some Slip 2000 Carbon Killer for cleaning the BCG.

It really is all you need.

Now which cleaning kit were you supplied with because if it was the Ottis you want to take a cleaning rod kit with you to remove stuck case in the chamber.

MegademiC
04-28-12, 00:29
LUBE - people here love: slip 2000, froglube, motor oil, atf. I use motor oil.

Cleaner - I use gun scrubber - it rinses off most of the filth and a paper towel removes the rest - its great stuff. A dishwasher and dish soap/toothbrush work well too for the main parts.

Barrel - Might wanna look into copper solvent - I use gun scrubber only for this and still have decent groups but I want to use copper solvent and see what happens. I dont know what the general concensus is.

Old t-shirts, paper towels, qtips, and a couple toothpics if you want to do a detail job. I only get that into it about once a year of if its gonna be stored for a while (finals comming up:suicide:).

Good luck and hope this helped.

Iraqgunz
04-28-12, 00:30
Check this out- https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490