PDA

View Full Version : gun ban and lower reciever

jcoffey784
04-28-12, 08:06
Excuse me if this has been discussed, but with the possiblity of a "gun ban" (sorry, im not sure that is the right term), the lower reciever is the only part that will become hard to find correct? So if i was to buy a stripped lower today, i would have no issue assembling a complete gun if the "ban" passes. Is there a length of time you have? if i bought a lower today, would it be legal to wait until next year to complete the gun? I apologize for all the questions, i was supposed to get a colt 6920 with taxes this year, but have a child on the way now. So the rifle got pushed back for obvious reasons. thank you very much for your help.

kdcgrohl
04-28-12, 08:10
Excuse me if this has been discussed, but with the possiblity of a "gun ban" (sorry, im not sure that is the right term), the lower reciever is the only part that will become hard to find correct? So if i was to buy a stripped lower today, i would have no issue assembling a complete gun if the "ban" passes. Is there a length of time you have? if i bought a lower today, would it be legal to wait until next year to complete the gun? I apologize for all the questions, i was supposed to get a colt 6920 with taxes this year, but have a child on the way now. So the rifle got pushed back for obvious reasons. thank you very much for your help.

You're asking specific questions about non-existent legislation.

amd5007
04-28-12, 08:22
Agreed this isn't relevant to today. I highly doubt any ban will occur.

But if you purchased a lower now, and such a thing did happen, you would be ok for building on it in the future. The only other possible issue you might run into is the availability of high-cap (evil) magazines.

Based on the history of previous "bans" in the US, they don't take your guns or make it illegal to own them, they only make it so that all firearms made after a certain date meet a certain set of standards.

jcoffey784
04-28-12, 08:31
thinking about it, that was a rather vauge / impossible question. but thank you for the responses. i guess i will have to do some more thinking. thank you all

geohans
04-28-12, 09:43
Mr. Coffey,

You are wise to be concerned, but the other posters are correct-- the legislation does not exist. YET. As long as our federal system of checks and balances remains in effect, congressional repubs AND dems will prevent legislation from seeing the light of day.

But that's not the whole story.

We now know that Operation Fast and Furious was an attempt by Obama's justice dept to make an international case for more control of gun sales. And Hillary has indicated to the UN that "We" support international controls on private gun ownership, and would look favorably on controls that would supersede the US Second Amendment.

But the biggest "end around" play that most fear today is what will start if Obama is reelected, EXECUTIVE ORDER.

No one knows what form it would take, but there is every reason to be concerned that after his "last election" Obama will be prepared to dispense with Congress and simply do what he wants. It is an open question whether Congress will be prepared to fight the president, and what the results will be.

But there's no question Obama is willing to dismantle gun rights as we know them today.

None of these moves needs to succeed-- it will be enough that they are being threatened, or attempted. This will be enough to completely upset the gun market. And no, it will not be just lowers.

Last election, the fear was that Obama plus huge majorities in both houses would move against gun ownership. The only thing that stopped them was a good number of Dems who stood with Repubs and let Obama/Holder/Hillary know it would be political suicide.

Nonetheless, there was a tremendous run on EVERYTHING. Beginning the day after the election, every box of ammo on every shelf across the country disappeared. Likewise every complete weapon.

then a series of waves of shortages occurred. FIRST were the lowers; $115 lowers were selling for $700 on Gunbroker. People assumed that the Dems' first move would be a reinstatement of the old Assault Weapons ban, which grandfathered previously owned lowers-- but in reality there was no way to know what the law would look like.

then barrels, and lower parts kits disappeared. Some were willing to bet they would be covered by owning just the lowers, but most of us knew there was no way to be certain what form the new laws would take.

These shortages did not really end until early 2010.

So if you are on a budget, and you've never built a rifle, I would find a shop that will put a Stag or RRA or DPMS complete rifle on layaway NOW, and pay it off as quickly as you can. This is not the same as a transfer, which is what you need to do ASAP-- get a weapon into your possession.

Second option is to find a lower and build it out, but your options for completing the rifle may be cut off if something happens.

In the opinion of many many many of us, it is worthwhile to divert some resources toward getting this task completed. As Jesus said, "If you have no sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

Good luck in your search for info.

geohans
04-28-12, 09:48
Certainly someone will come along and tell you how unlikely this is. They are right.

However, if Obama is reelected, and you plan on buying any firearms related stuff in the next two years, you will almost certainly be AT LEAST inconvenienced.

jcoffey784
04-28-12, 10:15
I was unaware any places would do "layaway" for a gun, i will have to check the places in my area. If they are willing to do a layaway I will just get the colt I ultimately want. I could pay one off in a few months time, just needed other things when taxes came back. First thing Monday morning I will be going to all my local shops!

Hmac
04-28-12, 10:25

You're assuming that any theoretical gun ban will have a "grandfather" clause as in the past.

feedramp
04-28-12, 11:07
Never assume future legislation will mirror past legislation. Times change.

ucrt
04-28-12, 11:23
So if you are on a budget, and you've never built a rifle, I would find a shop that will put a Stag or RRA or DPMS complete rifle on layaway NOW, and pay it off as quickly as you can. ...

=================================

WHAT!! Quick! Unread that BAD ADVICE ASAP!!!
Do NOT waste you're money on any of the pieces of kaakaa listed in that post.

I was unaware any places would do "layaway" for a gun, i will have to check the places in my area.
If they are willing to do a layaway I will just get the Colt I ultimately want. .....

=====================================

Good for you. A Colt is a the best choice for the money right now.

Lay-aways are a good way to ease the pain BUT it is hard to find a gun shop that sells quality AR's and does lay-aways, too.
Look for Colt, DD, LMT, BCM, Noveske, and if you're desperate...an S&W. S&W is the most likely to be found at stores that do lay-aways.

FWIW - During the last panic, quality LPK's were as hard to find as anything else. A complete gun is the way to go because right now, for $1000 you cannot build a better gun than a Colt.

Congrats on the baby... :)

But maybe it's just me...

mallowpufft
04-28-12, 12:26
I was unaware any places would do "layaway" for a gun, i will have to check the places in my area. If they are willing to do a layaway I will just get the colt I ultimately want. I could pay one off in a few months time, just needed other things when taxes came back. First thing Monday morning I will be going to all my local shops!

All of my local LGS will do layaway. They want business and understand that most folks can't just drop 1k on something whenever they want.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

jcoffey784
04-28-12, 12:39
thanks for all the advice guys. ucrt, i have been lurking here for some time, and had already narrowed my search down to a gun on "the chart". i had considered a spikes, and still am, but colt has always been my first choice. unfortunately there are not many places in the area that sell guns. i have maybe 3 LGS close to me, a dicks sporting goods (which im pretty sure doesn NOT sell colt's), and a walmart (which does not sell any guns but shotguns...do some walmarts really sell colt's?)

Kokopelli
04-28-12, 12:46
A number of people here have seen and/or purchased Colt AR's a Walmart.. Ron

ucrt
04-28-12, 14:01
... i had considered a spikes, and still am, but colt has always been my first choice. ...
...do some walmarts really sell colt's?)

======================================

From what I've seen, it is more of the "country" Wal-Marts that have the Colts. Around here, most of the towns with populations over 50K don't handle guns but handle ammo. Over 100K, they don't handle either. Might just be around here.

A mail-order Colt 6920 vs. a Wal-Mart 6920, when you figure taxes, W-M will be about $150-$200 more expensive. Just make sure, if you mail-order the gun, that the State it is coming from, does not have reciprocating tax agreement with your State.

With W-M selling Colts, the LGS should be a "little" less likely to scalp. You will have to pay a little more at a LGS but to have the option to trade-in guns and/or lay-aways, in your case, might be worth it.

Take it easy.

polymorpheous
04-28-12, 14:09
This thread is not in the correct sub-forum.
I suspect it will be locked as soon as a moderator gets wind of it.

jcoffey784
04-28-12, 14:16
i would think my local walmart would be "country" enough, but the town has grown fast i suppose. thanks again for all the help everyone.

ps. i apologize if it is not in the correct sub-forum. i did not see a more fitting sub-forum, and after a quick look through now i still see the same. again, i apologize to the members and moderators.

Javelin
04-28-12, 14:19
Why is geohans recommending a DPMS, RRA, or whatever?

Seriously :confused::confused:

wetidlerjr
04-28-12, 15:23
Why is geohans recommending a DPMS, RRA, or whatever?
Seriously :confused::confused:

Apparently. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Smilies/confused-smiley-013.gif

feedramp
04-28-12, 16:22
This thread is not in the correct sub-forum.
I suspect it will be locked as soon as a moderator gets wind of it.
Thanks for that valuable post :rolleyes:

polymorpheous
04-28-12, 17:25
Thanks for that valuable post :rolleyes:

And tell me, what is so valuable about the thread topic?
More fear mongering?
Perpetuating a buying frenzy that has already started?

Threads like this have no please in a technical sub-forum and are generally looked down upon on this forum as a whole.