PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with Stlreamlight TLR-1S?

Lawdog-1
04-28-12, 21:55
I am thing about buying 1 or 2 TLR-1s. One TLR-1s is half price of a SF X300 and 10 lums less. I plan on putting one on my Springfield MC Operator and one on my Glock 17 and G22. And the TLR-1S has a Strobe fuction.

LMT42
04-29-12, 00:37
Since I'm about to buy a TLR-1, I'll piggyback this thread. Any reported problems with them locking solidly to a Glock's rails? What is the purpose of the strobe feature? Does it blind an intruder/suspect more so than a steady beam? Don't think I'd want to see a strobe after waking to an intruder in the middle of the night.

dirt_diver
04-29-12, 11:59
My TLR-1 has worked great for me as a HD/bump-in-the-night WML, so much so that I recently sold off my solid TLR-2 to buy another TLR-1 and a couple spare mags.

Big Wall
04-29-12, 12:47
I've had no problems with mine. I use it on my glock 17 for home defense, ccw and at a local club when they have dark competition stages every few months. I have seen one fall off a pistol because he only had it hand tight. Make sure you use a coin to tighten it on better. The strobe feature is very dazzling but I think it may be too difficult to double bump the switch to activate it in a real situation. Definately something to train to do.

SW-Shooter
04-29-12, 14:01
I own 3 and I consider it my go to light. It does everything a flashlight does in almost half the size. It's plenty bright and the strobe function is an added benefit. The only thing missing is a low lumen capability, but that's what regular flashlights are for. Mine have been rocked solid, mounted on a 12 gauge, and 2- .45's.

Fairweather8588
04-29-12, 14:06
I put mine on my 17 when I got it about 2K rounds ago, haven't had any problems with the light or the gun since. It's stayed on tight the whole time, I haven't had to touch it at all

Voodoo_Man
04-29-12, 14:32
I have two trl1s lights.

One I used on duty for about a year and it never did anything other than what it was supposed to do.

aflin
04-29-12, 17:15
I have two, one on my carbine and one a M&P. I just sent one of them back to streamlight to repair. The TLR's bulb on the m&p shat on me. After a defoor class, the bulb wasnt as bright as it used to be, running around 90 lumens. TLR on the carbine is still going strong though.

Nonetheless, streamlight has great customer service!

yhmspecter
04-29-12, 19:28
I have 2, both are on M&Ps. One on my full size 9 that's been there for almost two years and around 12k rounds. The other is on my .45 for about a year and 4k rounds. I like them for the value over the x300

LeipersForkFirearms
04-30-12, 08:56
I have one and its great for the price. I did a review complete with pics on my blog..just flip through to find it. leipersforkfirearms.blogspot.com

Its a great light, half the price of a surefire. I have around 1k rounds of 5.56 through mine with no issues.

KennyFSU
04-30-12, 09:04
I have had one on my G34 for 3 years now and it has been nothing but great, highly recommend it for the price.

Wiggity
04-30-12, 09:08
I ran a TLR1 for a while and its a GREAT light.

There is only 1 thing I don't like about it. It is almost too easy to turn on, it will flash if the lever is bumped and it happens too often imo.

will_be
04-30-12, 09:13
+1 for great customer service. Had lost the keys for Glock rails when recently switching my TLR-1 from my 1911. Emailed Streamlight & had a complete key kit in my mailbox within the week @ no charge to me. I am now looking to but at least one more of their lights.

Kokopelli
04-30-12, 09:16
I've had a TLR2s for a couple of years and ran about a thousand rounds with it for reliability testing. No problems; I like it alot. I have one of the new TLRs-HP's on a carbine and it really throws the light outside. Ron

tdoom15
05-02-12, 21:59
If strictly for use inside, I prefer the tlr1 (not the S), which has a lower output. Ofcourse this depends on how sensitive your eyes are and how open/big your house is, but 100 lumens is plenty for indoor use with night adjusted eyes.

TucsonFX4
05-02-12, 22:29
I agree with tdoom. I have two of the tlr1s's and they are bordering on being too bright for indoor work at night. It is hard to complain about such small lights being so bright though. I definitely recommend them though, just don't count out the standard tlr1 if you are limiting it's role to indoor work.

VIP3R 237
05-02-12, 22:38
I have a tlr mounted on my lmt about 2" away from my battlecomp and 2600 rounds later its still works, just have to wipe off the lens every now and then.

Ironbutt
05-03-12, 09:56
TLR-1's (standard) were mounted on our duty G21's & they took quite a beating. I bought a TLR-1S (strobe) for my personal G21, but rarely use the strobe function. I think the strobe is a good SD concept, but in a stressful SD/HD situation, I'd probably have trouble hitting the switch the required number of times, with the correct amount of pressure to reliably activate the strobe. More training using the strobe would probably fix that problem, but I just prefer to keep it simple. At my age, the less I have to think about, the better.

B Cart
05-03-12, 13:31
+1 on the TLR-1s. I have multiple that have been mounted on my ARs and pistols. I’ve probably shot thousands of rounds with them mounted, including many times in bad weather, and I’ve never experienced any issues. They are bright, reliable, and can take a beating from what I’ve seen. I think they’re pretty good to go.

uwe1
05-06-12, 15:15
I have a couple TLR1s and TLR1Ss. Two are relatively new-ish and are attached to HD pistols in quick access safes.

I have one TLR1S that has seen heavier use, been through multiple training classes with me, and shot for over 5-6K rounds attached to a G17, G19, and M&P9 Pro. During one of the night classes, it was raining. It hasn't failed me yet.

During that same night class, I noticed that the light was dimming and thought it was just carbon smothered on the lens. After I got home and cleaned it, it was still dim and I realized that I hadn't changed out the batteries in a while. After doing that bit of maintenance, the light works as it should.

It is important to use the correct attachment keys for the light (Glock key for Glocks and 1913 attachment for the M&Ps and ARs). I haven't had any problems with them coming loose on me. I tighten the nut down with a coin, usually a penny.

ZoneOne
05-06-12, 15:41
I have been considering purchasing one for a while now. I currently have an XTI Procyon but finding a holster for that thing is like finding a needle in a haystack.

My XTI has strobe and while it's cool I have never used it during training. When getting the weapon out and the light on, the last thing I'm thinking about is double tapping the toggle in order to active the strobe. The sooner I can get the light on and rounds down range the better.

But it's my understanding that the TLR-1S has a higher lumen output than the original TLR-1. Am I correct?

sgtjosh
05-06-12, 17:34
I prefer the TLR-1 due to the switch, but the X300 has the better light beam.

SW-Shooter
05-06-12, 18:16
I have been considering purchasing one for a while now. I currently have an XTI Procyon but finding a holster for that thing is like finding a needle in a haystack.

My XTI has strobe and while it's cool I have never used it during training. When getting the weapon out and the light on, the last thing I'm thinking about is double tapping the toggle in order to active the strobe. The sooner I can get the light on and rounds down range the better.

But it's my understanding that the TLR-1S has a higher lumen output than the original TLR-1. Am I correct?

I have a Glock 21SF that has the XTI mounted on it, I used Raven Concealment Systems holster. Easy to find, great prices, just a little bit of a wait though. Superb holster that has little to no real competition.

G-lock
05-06-12, 19:07
I have 4 of them and I have been very happy with their performance and price on pistols. I used to run them on carbines as well but they kept gettting turned on in the case, so I went to flashlights with a lockout tail cap.

devinsdad
05-07-12, 08:14
The department I work for originally had Glock lights on the G22's. After a year of poor performance, switched to TLR-1's. Without a doubt, the best rail mounted light for the money anywhere.

aguila327
05-09-12, 20:51
I now have two TLR-1's and the new one with the HD head (cant remember the name). I am set for life. The surefire lights are great but I can't afford em, so for a third of the price I'll get the next best light.

I can't help put plug the new HD light. That thing really lights it up.

dsg2003gt
09-09-12, 21:26
I now have two TLR-1's and the new one with the HD head (cant remember the name). I am set for life. The surefire lights are great but I can't afford em, so for a third of the price I'll get the next best light.

I can't help put plug the new HD light. That thing really lights it up.

I think you mean the HP light. Please feel free to tell us more about it since there is so little info out there on it.