PDA

View Full Version : barrel problem any ideas? fte

volcomdork182
04-28-12, 22:07
Just built my first build named frankenstein specs are below. ever since it was built ive been having problems with it. first it was failing to eject then it was short stroking. well my buddy works in a gun shop and i took it in to him to check it out. he test fired it and noticed on the brass it has weird burr markings after the shoulder. he said it was a good barrel from a good quality company and they stand behind thier product and will fix the burrs. well i called the company explained the situation and they sent me a ups label to ship it. I also sent several different factory rounds that had the marks on them.
after a week and a half i got it back. took it out to try it out and got through 25 rounds then click. made sure the mag is seated. Racked, fired, and click. I picked up some of my brass and checked the case and the small tiny markings are still present. i cleaned the rifle then fired a few more rounds and still the burr marks are there. and the rifle is still wanting to be a bolt action instead of a semi auto. i called up the company and asked if they noticed the burrs and fixed them. he said quality control checked it out and it was fine and there was nothing wrong with my barrel. Well being pissed that they didnt even fire the gun or look at the marks on my brass after having it for 2 weeks they have left me with no other choice but to look elsewhere on how to fix this rifle. i have some pics of the brass i will post when i find a host site to put them on.

mallowpufft
04-28-12, 22:23
I'm going to guess, without seeing ant photos or having any details, that your chamber is not a true 5.56 and may need to be teamed.
If you had problems with cycling and short stroking your gas system could partially be to blame, too.
Details would be handy.
If you don't want to name names on the bbl and are waiting on the mfg to make good I can understand.
But what upper, kind of gas system, bbl length, buffer, spring you are using would be handy.
Ammo loads might be handy as well.
Also, what mag are you using. Doubtful that is the cause but it's good to know the details.

Also, Flickr & Photobucket offer free image hosting.
Just copy the BBCode they give you and paste that in to your message body and your images will display.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

volcomdork182
04-28-12, 22:39
oh sorry thought i posted the specs. i was using several different types of mags but the majority are pmags and bcm mags. i was trying using winchester fmj 55gr, hornady 55gr fmj, pri partizan 55gr fmj, pmc 55gr fmj, i even tried tulammo steel cases. The company didnt call me back and already said im on my own. so ill just say it. its a daniel defense 16" 1/7 chrome lined barrel. Upper receiver is a spikes tactical. Bcm charginghandle, bcg, and gase tube. Lower and gas block are from yhm. lower parts kit and stock assembily are from rra.

haha. forgot spell check was there, my bad.

volcomdork182
04-28-12, 23:00
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll230/volcomdork182/2012-04-28_20-00-49_253.jpg

Col_Crocs
04-28-12, 23:01
Just to clarify on your initial issues...
When you say failing to eject then short stroking, do you mean it wasnt cycling at all,then you got it to cycle but it was short stroking?
On the second set of issues, you fired 25 rounds then click, then racked-fired-click... Sounds to me like it's short stroking again. What you have is a gas problem. Is your gasblock one of those clamp on types? If it's a set screw type, did you dimple the barrel and loctite the screws?
Based on your second set if issues, my guess is the firing rocked your gasblock loose, making it short stroke again.

volcomdork182
04-28-12, 23:13
It usually just short strokes after, with a case getting stuck ever few rounds. The gunshop thought that the reason the rounds are getting stuck is because of the burrs and a tight chamber. i did find one of the screws loose on the yhm and yes it is lined up correctly and it is the set screw on bottom. what locktite should i use? Also after tightening the set screw i only fired 5 rounds after and checked the brass and it still had the burrs on the front half. Also just cycling live rounds through the barrel still give burr marks right after the shoulder. All five rounds fired as should, and the bolt held back after last round. Next time i go out ill see if it stops around 30 rounds again. But my main concern is the brass markings and the little extra force for ejecting live rounds/dummy rounds.

constructor
04-28-12, 23:41
Reamers have 4-5 straight flutes so any chip in the reamer will create a ring in the chamber. Those marks are probably from grit in the chamber especially if it was a beadblasted barrel.
If chromelined then it may be bad plating but a bad chamber job leave a ring or uniform chatter in a ring.

Iraqgunz
04-29-12, 00:11
So let me get this straight. You purchased some parts and threw them together with the assistance of someone from the "gunshop" and you want to blame the barrel.

First, what makes you think that you are qualified to build an AR? Second you use a YHM screwed on type gas block. My guess is that something is assembled wrong and that the gas block is possibly interfering with the port.

I am going to attempt to reach out to DD in regards to the claim that they didn't do anything. Although to be quite honest I wouldn't warranty a Frankenparts gun either.