PDA

View Full Version : Watch your Lady at the Gunshows.

exiledtoIA
04-29-12, 19:01
Went to visit the inlaws this weekend. Saw an ad for a gunshow and figured why not.
At the entrance after you paid your fee they had a couple of tables to sign up for different things. One of these was for a drawing.
My lady bought two tickets and signed us both up.
I'm now the slightly perplexed owner of:
A Highpoint JHP .45 ACP.
I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

Arik
04-29-12, 19:06
Torture test!

QuackXP
04-29-12, 19:08
You can probably sell it for $100 to someone. Take your lady out for a nice steak dinner.

04-29-12, 19:26
Laugh at it while you piss on it.

chilic82
04-29-12, 19:32
I'd put it in my local peddler for $150. I guarantee it would sell in 2 days. Cheap firearms fly off the shelves around here.

CLJ94104
04-29-12, 19:33
I say 10000 round torture test. Then sell for $100 and take the lady out for a nice dinner.

iasc300
04-29-12, 19:34
What gun show did you go too?

See anything sweet there?

I agree with the torture test!

Then make a thread here and show us the damage:laugh:

John Hearne
04-29-12, 19:40
It's good for at least two crack rocks.

The_War_Wagon
04-29-12, 19:55
BOAT ANCHOR!!! :jester:

ucrt
04-29-12, 20:22

Remove one of the grip panels and tape a quarter to the inside of the grip.

That way, if you ever lose it, with that coin in there, you can say you lost something of value. ;)

I'd sell/trade it.

Letterby
04-29-12, 20:34
Laugh at it while you piss on it.

Hilarious!

SteveL
04-29-12, 20:37
I would put it up for sale.

Under the Radar
04-29-12, 20:42
This is why I'm careful what drawings I enter, sometimes the prize you win isn't worth it.

I'm sure you'll find someone to buy it.

Evil Colt 6920
04-29-12, 21:25
I like the above suggestions.... torture test it then while shes still hot piss on it. The steam coming off it would make a nice video. Then sell it for a steak dinner.

Thats one ugly ass 45:suicide2:

SeriousStudent
04-29-12, 21:50
Why not hold a raffle of your own, and donate the proceeds to an organization such as the Wounded Warrior Project, Patriot Guard Riders, or some other worthy cause?

Perhaps there is a charity near to your wife's heart, supporting research or a cure for a medical condition that has impacted your families?

If you get $100 for it, that is $100 towards something you and her can be proud of.

Just a thought.

Cazwell
04-29-12, 22:37
Friend of mine bought 2 Jiminez arms (one 9mm and one .380) years ago and put them in a safe. When I met him I explained why he could do better. He said he thought all guns were pretty much the same.

Anyhow, I put them on a backpage for $200 and $150. They were gone that day with numerous back up offers. Probably could have gotten more. Something about that price range and guns, like mentioned above... they go super fast.

skyugo
04-30-12, 01:53
aren't those things supposed to be fairly reliable? They're unquestionably ugly, heavy, and of poor ergonomics.... but i was under the impression they generally worked.

TehLlama
04-30-12, 03:49
I'd be all for a torture test, but unless you roll your own .45, it's like pissing into the wind.

Steak dinner, some nice shoes (for her?), ore ammunition all sound like winners.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-30-12, 05:42
Will your wife be offended that you have no gratitude for what she won you? I know my wife would be pretty hurt if she secretly won me a pistol and I turned around and said it was crap.

I really like what Serious Student proposed. Im sure there are plenty of people in your area that would be more than happy to buy a $5-10 raffle ticket for a cheap pistol, especially if that money went to a good cause. If you kept your wife involved in the process then she could feel like what she won actually had some special meaning.

Also, whats the harm in keeping it?

Ark1443
04-30-12, 05:59
The reason your wife won the raffle, was because she was the only one that signed up for it! :sarcastic:

As for the guy who stated put 10,000 rounds through it, then sell it and buy the wife a nice dinner... imagine how many dinners could be had for the cost of the ammo!

In the end, its always better when its free, so I'd simply toy with it for a few days, then sell and get free $ for the things I really want.

Arik
04-30-12, 07:10
Maybe use it at the next training course you go to? I know its a waste of money to take a 2-3 day training course with something you'll never use, buy or rely on but I always wanted to do that. Curious as to how bad bad guns really are and what is their limit. A buddy of my bought a Jimenez (spelling?) 380 a few years ago (no one is sure why) so far that little turd hasnt had one hiccup.

duece71
04-30-12, 07:46
Did the organizers mention what you would win if your ticket was the one? Sounds like one of those typical "claim your prize at the door" raffles. They should have thrown in some 25 cent candy as well. No opinion as what to do with it, although laughing at it while pissing on it sounds gratifying.

customizedcreationz
04-30-12, 07:51
Why not hold a raffle of your own, and donate the proceeds to an organization such as the Wounded Warrior Project, Patriot Guard Riders, or some other worthy cause?

Perhaps there is a charity near to your wife's heart, supporting research or a cure for a medical condition that has impacted your families?

If you get $100 for it, that is $100 towards something you and her can be proud of.

Just a thought.

This!!!!!!

apheod
04-30-12, 09:55
a hi-point? for shame!:suicide:

exiledtoIA
04-30-12, 10:06
First and formost, yes my Lady does get gratitude. I said I was perplexed not disappointed or disgusted.

Second, can't hold a raffle, Iowa's laws on that are fairly specific and I don't qualify as a charity or civic organization.

Third, I was thinking of a torture test. I keep seeing the constant arguments from both camps about HighPoints. I've never owned one of their pistols.
I do have one of their 9mm carbines, had it for years. I use it to help introduce new shooters to the sport.
Didn't M4C used to have a 2000 round challenge thread? I thought maybe trying this and see what happens.

Moltke
04-30-12, 10:11
Stipple it, spray paint it gold, and sell it on Arfcom for $500.

munch520
04-30-12, 10:42
Stipple it, spray paint it gold, and sell it on Arfcom for $500.

I'd also put it on your local ArmsList classifieds. Just to see how many emails you get: 'yo dawg will yu take $4fiddy for it? HOLLABACK!'

:laugh:

Cazwell
04-30-12, 11:30
I'd also put it on your local ArmsList classifieds. Just to see how many emails you get: 'yo dawg will yu take $4fiddy for it? HOLLABACK!'

:laugh:

Lol'd

E-man930
04-30-12, 17:20
I'll ship you 100 rounds of Buffalo Bore 230gr .45 Super for free if you decide to torture test it by running 2000 rounds through the gun. The only catch is you have to do a damn god job of taking pictures / videos and documenting the entire experience so I can pop a bag or two of popcorn while I follow along with your adventure. :laugh:

packinaglock
04-30-12, 18:17
aren't those things supposed to be fairly reliable? They're unquestionably ugly, heavy, and of poor ergonomics.... but i was under the impression they generally worked.

I know a guy at work that claimes his has been reliable, anythings possible.

Bantee
04-30-12, 23:07
For the love of all that is holy, just don't let your friends catch you with it, lest your "street cred" being diminished!! Lol. Seriously though, you're a lucky man to have a woman who will A) go to a gunshow & B) win you something...regardless of make..you"re a lucky man!!:D

anthony1
05-01-12, 03:32
I shot a 9m hi point, it seemed to function fine. The guy who the pistol belonged to said the main reason some suck is they need the feed ramp polished or bad mags. He said its been as reliable as his carry pistols. Thats by no means any type of endorsement on my part, just my only real world experience with a hi point.

There so ugly and big and top heavy though (atleast the 9mm l shot was, l'm not up to date on their current line). l wouldn't really know what the hell to do with one either. Maybe throw it in your tackle box if your into fishing or sell it.

MistWolf
05-01-12, 04:41
You could amuse yourself by telling lies down at the local gunshop, using your best Mike Franks voice so your more convincing-

"Yeah probie, many people don't know this little beauty here is actually used by Delta SEAL Six team. They have a special technique- if there are three guys in the room they go in with a HiPoint in one hand and a sock in the other. They double tap the first two in the face, slip this big ol' pistol in the sock and beat the third one to death. You know why they can do it that way? It gives them an edge, see. Shooting the first two guys evens the odds and the third guy is so surprised that the HiPoint didn't jam until the fourth round, it gives Delta SEAL Six guy the opportunity to whacks the badguy over the head before he knows what hit'm"

Suwannee Tim
05-01-12, 04:55
Shoot a Bullseye match with it.

1911-A1
05-01-12, 09:06
You actually won $150 after a bit of a hassle.

Congratulations?

Beat Trash
05-01-12, 09:38
These are the guns of choice for Thugs just starting out and not high enough on the food chain to obtain a stolen Glock.

I believe current retail value in my city is about $150-200 worth of Heroin or crack cocaine, depending on urgency of need.

I'm sure some law abiding individuals own Hi-Points and have had good luck with them. I was recently watching a Nat Geo show about some prepper who was moving to his family from a city to the hills of the Bule Ridge mountains. Their "Arsenal" consisted of Hi-Point pistols and carbines. If it's good enough for the end of the world...

For those wanting the OP to conduct a torture test of 2,000 rounds? Start with a test of 200 rds and see how it works out. Progress from there, if necessary.

Of course, to be fair to the gun, you need to rotate the gun 90 degrees, with the ejection port facing up. Shout the phrase, "I'm gonna pop a cap in yo a**!" as you conduct the test.

Pull your pants down past your butt. This helps offset your balance and compensate for how top heavy the Hi-Point pistols are.

Holsters are not necessary with the design. Carry it AWIB at the 1 o'clock position. Rest the muzzle against your male appendage to prevent the gun from sliding down into your pants. This is necessary due to the lack of a belt and lower than normal position of your pants vs. butt (see comment about counter-balance above).

It may help to have a 40 oz and a blunt waiting, just because.

Have your wife video the entire test. Call it , "Urban Tactical Warfare - Undercover Training".

Sell the video on Arfcom.

Use the proceeds to buy the gun of your choice.

Congratulations on your prize.

exiledtoIA
05-01-12, 10:09
Well we're going to do the torture test. We decided not to use any +P+ ammo.
The manual says the gun will handle +P loads, but does not reccommend a steady diet of them.

Some observations before firing.
As many have noted this thing is heavy.
Dry fire with snap caps was surprising, trigger is about 6 lbs, but really surpringly smooth.
HighPoint should market these as a triple weapon.
1) Firearm - after you empty the weapon you shift to:
2) Warclub - weight alone makes it a lethal weapon
3) Short Stabby thing - the lips on the magazine are sharp enough to cut. So if you get into an up close and personal fight and can't reach your knife just drop the mag and start sticking.

B Cart
05-01-12, 11:53
These are the guns of choice for Thugs just starting out and not high enough on the food chain to obtain a stolen Glock.

I believe current retail value in my city is about $150-200 worth of Heroin or crack cocaine, depending on urgency of need.

I'm sure some law abiding individuals own Hi-Points and have had good luck with them. I was recently watching a Nat Geo show about some prepper who was moving to his family from a city to the hills of the Bule Ridge mountains. Their "Arsenal" consisted of Hi-Point pistols and carbines. If it's good enough for the end of the world...

For those wanting the OP to conduct a torture test of 2,000 rounds? Start with a test of 200 rds and see how it works out. Progress from there, if necessary.

Of course, to be fair to the gun, you need to rotate the gun 90 degrees, with the ejection port facing up. Shout the phrase, "I'm gonna pop a cap in yo a**!" as you conduct the test.

Pull your pants down past your butt. This helps offset your balance and compensate for how top heavy the Hi-Point pistols are.

Holsters are not necessary with the design. Carry it AWIB at the 1 o'clock position. Rest the muzzle against your male appendage to prevent the gun from sliding down into your pants. This is necessary due to the lack of a belt and lower than normal position of your pants vs. butt (see comment about counter-balance above).

It may help to have a 40 oz and a blunt waiting, just because.

Have your wife video the entire test. Call it , "Urban Tactical Warfare - Undercover Training".

Sell the video on Arfcom.

Use the proceeds to buy the gun of your choice.

Congratulations on your prize.

Haha I just got a great mental picture of this! I think you should make this video just for kicks! I'm sure it will go viral within hours and you'll be famous just like Tex Grubner :laugh:

Moltke
05-01-12, 13:35
Haha I just got a great mental picture of this! I think you should make this video just for kicks! I'm sure it will go viral within hours and you'll be famous just like Tex Grubner :laugh:

Wow... theres something "aspire" to.

Spiffums
05-01-12, 19:01
I'd keep it! American made steel firearm and popular now with the Doomsday Preppers! :no::haha::haha:

doubleajaybrock
05-02-12, 08:45
I say 10000 round torture test. Then sell for $100 and take the lady out for a nice dinner.

Waste of ammo!

RagweedZulu
05-02-12, 10:14
Hi-Points can be very reliable.

A while back I used Gorilla Glue to attach one to the bottom of a wobbly chair leg. Chair has been 100% for over 1000 sittings, never a Failure To Seat.

Icculus
05-02-12, 11:19
Thanks MistWolf and Beat Trash. Both of those replies gave me a good chuckle.:D

I'd say just sell it. Offer to use the money for something for your wife and then if she declines just put the money toward ammo.

skywalkrNCSU
05-06-12, 21:41
Went to visit the inlaws this weekend. Saw an ad for a gunshow and figured why not.
At the entrance after you paid your fee they had a couple of tables to sign up for different things. One of these was for a drawing.
My lady bought two tickets and signed us both up.
I'm now the slightly perplexed owner of:
A Highpoint JHP .45 ACP.
I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

:lol::lol:

What a sweet raffle!

Melon
05-06-12, 22:42
When it gets dirty, just send it to Hi Point for a good cleaning...seeing how there is no way to disassemble it.

My household owns one, as a gift from the FIL to my wife. What a touchy situation this is, to NEVER bring it out to fire when we go over to his farm. Like everything else he owns, a 7.62x39 AR and his home built/assembled UZI, it will not make it through one magazine before it locks up with a FTwhatever. Despite his liberal application of WD40, things just don't work out.

Great guy for buying the wife a pistol, but he has terrible taste in firearms.

jpmuscle
05-06-12, 23:12
Burner gun? after all everyone should have one :laugh::laugh: