PDA

View Full Version : Need some final input on choosing a carbine

Sry0fcr
04-29-12, 22:33
I'm in the market for a gun with an extended sight radius (gun will be irons only) and a longer length "slick" rail. My only other requirement was that it be a factory gun with a warranty which narrowed my options a bit (a lot). I really wanted a Bushmaster MOE Dissipator but without the Bushmaster part but apparently this configuration has fallen out of favor. My primary use is for HD, secondary is training and range use.

I suppose a sling, sights and a white light & mounting solution should be factored into the cost if not already included but I want to be up and running for under $1500 OTD if possible. Which of the carbines below would you go with given the above and why? Or if you have a better way of getting what I want out of the box I'm all ears.

Note: Can we leave out the commentary on S&W guns not being TDP compliant? I am aware of the "shortcomings" and decided that the deviations were of little consequence to me (barrel steel, batch testing) or might be preferable for my use (larger gas port). For this purpose let's assume that they're on equal footing because for my use they are.

Option 1: M&P15 VTAC $1419 + Transfer
Surefire® Flash-hider
Surefire G2 Light
VTAC Light Mount
VTAC/JP Handguard w/Three Adjustable Picatinny-Style Rails
JP Single Stage Match Trigger & Speed Hammer
VTAC® Padded 2-Point Tactical Sling
VLTOR™ ModStock 6-Position Collapsible
Magpul® PMAG Magazine

Option 2: M&P15TS $1340 + Transfer
14-1/2" Barrel with permanently attached Vortex Flash-Hider for Overall Length of 16.1"
13" Troy® TRX Extreme Handguard
Folding Magpul® MBUS Front and Rear Sights
Magpul® MOE Stock
Magpul® PMAG Magazine
Magpul® MOE Grip

Option 3: Daniel Defense Version 7 $1349 + Transfer
Daniel Defense Modular Float Rail 12.0 w/3 Picatinny Modular Rail Sections
Magpul® MOE Stock
Magpul® PMAG Magazine

Option 4: Colt LT6720R $1320 + Transfer
MAGPUL front and rear Gen 2 MBUS (Back Up Sight)
16″ 1/7 gov’t carbine or original lightweight barrel
10″ free-floating Troy Quadrail with Colt marking
MAGPUL trigger guard
Colt/Rogers Super-Stock 4-position
2 30rd MAGPUL PMAGS
MAGPUL MOE vertical grip
QD sling swivel
MAGPUL sight adjustment tool
3 ladder rail covers

st1650
04-29-12, 22:37
Options 3 all the way for what you want to do ...

CCFD1414
04-29-12, 22:46
Option 3 would be the way I would go, or unless the Daniel Defense was out of stock, then I would get option 4

Sry0fcr
04-29-12, 22:51
Did you guys miss the "why?" part? ;) It's the 2nd most expensive to begin with and still needs, sights, light, mount and sling plus it includes less shit for me to sell off and recoup costs on.

kVon
04-29-12, 22:55
Did you guys miss the "why?" part? ;) It's the 2nd most expensive to begin with and still needs, sights, light, mount and sling plus it includes less shit for me to sell off and recoup costs on.

Because it is made by Daniel Defense, and they are GTG. I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money on a S&W.

If you are planning on selling half of the stuff that comes in the VTAC package, why not start with a bare rifle and add what you want. Save yourself the hassle of selling pieces.

CCFD1414
04-29-12, 23:03

It doesn't get much better the Daniel Defense IMO, CS is top notch, quality products, hammer forged barrel, plus you get a lifetime warranty (last I checked) well worth the money

Sry0fcr
04-29-12, 23:08
Because it is made by Daniel Defense, and they are GTG.

No offense but that's a complete non answer.

If you are planning on selling half of the stuff that comes in the VTAC package, why not start with a bare rifle and add what you want. Save yourself the hassle of selling pieces.

I was being a bit facetious. And starting with a bare rifle would cost me more money in the end and likely leave me without a warranty. If I was to go that route doing a ground up custom build would be the better option and it still might come out costing more in the end.

AKDoug
04-29-12, 23:13
Option 3.. My DDM4 V7 is a wonderful weapon. Flawless in function, lightweight, accurate...what more could you want? I scored a set of DD fixed sights off Ebay for $73 (not airsoft shit). Done deal.

kVon
04-29-12, 23:23
No offense but that's a complete non answer.

I was being a bit facetious. And starting with a bare rifle would cost me more money in the end and likely leave me without a warranty. If I was to go that route doing a ground up custom build would be the better option and it still might come out costing more in the end.

And I was being a bit sarcastic. I don't know many on this forum that will chose an S&W over a Daniel Defense. For a $100 premium when the cost of the sights are added, I personally would spend the money on the DD and have in the past.

st1650
04-29-12, 23:53

Ok you're a moron. Buy a DPMS for all I care. You'll have plenty of money left to junk the junk. Can't wait to see pictures of your "build" on TOS !

I worked o/t for 3 months to afford a AI AE mk iii and they're way more expensive than a 5R. Can't believe there's still people who wants to gamble on 200$ for an HD weapon for crying out loud...

TonyTacoma
04-29-12, 23:58
Why would you put a cap on the money you are spending on a tool that will be used to protect your home, self and family?

For a primary home defense carbine, spend the money and get a known well made reliable rifle and stop yammering about the cost.

Get the DD, get a surefire torch with a quality mount and a vickers sling and some training.

Preliator
04-30-12, 00:14
BCM® MID-16 = $1200, +VCAS sling $50, +Magpul Buis $50 + Streamlight TLR1 $110, + 3 P mags $45, short rail section for magpul forend = $1449.... leaves you $50 to spend on quality HD ammo.

Quality rifle with extended sight radius and slick forend, Iron(ish) sights, mags, HD ammo, light and sling. All under $1500.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Mid-16-AR15-Bravo-Company-s/142.htm

rob_s
04-30-12, 04:16
I started to reply but in re-reading the OP and responses it seems like there may be a foregone conclusion here and this is more of a "talk me out of (but not really)" kind of thread. Weird, seemingly stacked, criteria, consciously ignoring the primary reasons for choosing one brand over another, testy responses...

How about you tell us why you're considering each one besides that they are simply factory guns with long handguards?

Sticks
04-30-12, 05:16
Why on earth are you worried about warranty?

If you buy a top end rifle, even parts for an assembly, Warranty is something you don't need to worry about.

Barrels wear out. Bolts wear out. Upper and lower receivers eventually wear out, but we are talking 100k rounds here.

If by chance you do actually have a manufacturer lemon slip out the door from a top notch company, I doubt they will care that you bought just the component and had it [professionally] installed on something else. They will make it right.

Even PSA, who has a horrid customer service track record, "voided" a members warranty because he was switching out the rails and could not break the barrel nut loose, took care of the matter for $20 (which included return shipping) and that put him back into warranty because PSA installed the rail.

Pick a naked upper, pick a lower, then choose the exact stock, sights, grip, and hand guard that you want, and you will still have money left over for all the other stuff you want including ammo.

For $1500 you ought to be able to get set up really well with about 5 different companies to choose from.

rob_s
04-30-12, 05:50
Something to consider...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16-bfh-ss12g2.htm

Iraqgunz
04-30-12, 08:56
Buy whatever makes you happy.