PDA

View Full Version : Rings for a Ruger

LHS
04-29-12, 22:54
I tried the Search function and found a few references, but no real comparison between the various scope rings for Ruger rifles. Ruger makes some at the factory, and it seems Leupold and Warne also make them specifically to fit the Ruger mounts. I'm looking at a medium African rifle, with a 1-6x variable, so I'd like to have QD mounts in case the optic takes a crap and I need to use the irons.

Are the Warnes worth the money?

Urban_Redneck
05-02-12, 22:19
The QD Warne rings have worked very well for me.

LHS
05-03-12, 14:14
The QD Warne rings have worked very well for me.

Thanks! I had a couple people say good things about the Warne QD rings, so that's what I ordered. I'm going to fill them with a 1-6x24 illuminated SWFA SS-HD and put it on a Ruger 77 African in 9.3x62mm. Should be just the ticket for heavy plains game like eland and kudu.

Jake'sDad
06-30-12, 02:03
Thanks! I had a couple people say good things about the Warne QD rings, so that's what I ordered. I'm going to fill them with a 1-6x24 illuminated SWFA SS-HD and put it on a Ruger 77 African in 9.3x62mm. Should be just the ticket for heavy plains game like eland and kudu.

If your scope is a 30mm, you'll likely need a cheek piece. I did on my Ruger African.

BGREID
06-30-12, 18:34
The Ruger rings are pretty easy to remove with a Quarter or the back of a knife blade in a pinch.

LHS
07-17-12, 18:07
If your scope is a 30mm, you'll likely need a cheek piece. I did on my Ruger African.

Thanks! As soon as SWFA gets those 1-6x scopes shipped, I'll mount it on my rifle and give it a whirl.

Hizzie
07-18-12, 12:11
I have Warnes on my Whitworth. They are nice but heavy.

The Ruger rings are pretty easy to remove with a Quarter or the back of a knife blade in a pinch.

+1

Jake'sDad
07-18-12, 13:50
Thanks! As soon as SWFA gets those 1-6x scopes shipped, I'll mount it on my rifle and give it a whirl.

Yeah, the problem is, the lowest rings anyone seems to make for the Ruger in 30MM is a medium, which means for me, I can't get a cheek weld without the pad.

ST911
07-18-12, 20:37
Also of interest:

What's the current best bet for a true RTZ set of rings to fit Ruger bases. Something with LT quality and repeatability, if possible.

Urban_Redneck
07-19-12, 04:28
If you space your rings so that the recoil lug on the ring fits tight against the forward surface of the recoil lug cut, in my experience, the Warne rings will return me to 1/2 MOA every time.

This hold true for the factory rings as well.

YMMV