PDA

View Full Version : ambi mag catch you have been most satisfied with?

kenndapp
04-30-12, 03:32
i am a lefty so an ambi mag catch is paramount for me. the norgon ambi mag catch i have been using for some time doesn't work properly i really have to flick the rifle to the side in a violent motion while pushing into the norgon to get an empty mag out with out using my support hand. the right side of the mag catch (the one i never use) works great. so what ambi mag catch should i be looking at? i know of the troy and the kac but other than that i cant find much (not from a reputable manufacturer anyway). what ambi catch has provided you with a fast positive empty mag well? what ambi catch have you been most satisfied with?

Sticks
04-30-12, 05:34
You are going to have a hard time of it.

In this aspect, you are having to use a fulcrum to release the mag rather than direct pressure on the catch to overcome spring tension. In order to get an easy/positive release, it's going to have to be bulky - READ - large and stick out a fair amount.

I have a Troy on mine. It works. It's already awkward since I am a righty, but I can get it to drop reliably without too much extra effort. Hand size and strength does play a factor. Short stumpy fingers will be an additional handicap.

motorolahamm
04-30-12, 09:15
Norgon works best for me, I tried the KAC also it works well. have only tried the Troy on a friends. give the Kac a try.

kenndapp
04-30-12, 14:18
yes the problem with the norgon is not the design. it works. it just takes a very specific kind of pressure from my finger along with a very specific flick of the weapon. i need something that works almost as well as the right side mag button. the kac looks promising. the kac looks like it would give you more leverage on depressing that spring than the norgon.

Stan9106
04-30-12, 16:15
I second the Troy. I have them on both my AR's and like them. Very little effort is required to release the mag on either of mine.

militarymoron
04-30-12, 17:57
i have about 5 norgons, a troy and a KAC. none require a flick - do you think that it might be adjusted a turn or two too tight? out of the three, i prefer the norgon. i have short fingers and the troy was a bit of a reach. the KAC was awkward, as it was too far back.

seb5
04-30-12, 18:17
All of my rifles have the Troys. Until getting these I ran Norgons but never felt really comfortable with them. Too small maybe? The KAC was ackward for me and the Power custom seemed to be more for a right hander to use his left thumb to activate. For me the Troy was head and shoulders above the rest and seemed the closest thing to a KAC lower, which I also had.

kenndapp
04-30-12, 19:11
i have about 5 norgons, a troy and a KAC. none require a flick - do you think that it might be adjusted a turn or two too tight? out of the three, i prefer the norgon. i have short fingers and the troy was a bit of a reach. the KAC was awkward, as it was too far back.

I have tried it at every possible tightness/lossness. Always the same result.

Army Chief
04-30-12, 19:27
do you think that it might be adjusted a turn or two too tight?

This is a common issue with self-installed Norgons, quite honestly. Took me a time or two to figure out the right depth. When installed properly, they aren't at all difficult to use. When installed too tight, as MM has observed, you pretty much need an assistant gunner/buddy to get enough pressure on the release to drop the mag.

AC

MrSmitty
04-30-12, 19:30
I've also been using the Norgon for a while now and haven't had any issues with it, works just as good as the release button. I like it because it isn't very obtrusive and it seems to be positioned just right for me.

VIP3R 237
04-30-12, 19:35
Being a lefty most of my guns have troys, but my favorite is the one the sig ar's come with, I dont know who is making it but I love it. I traded a right handed guy who wanted to install a BAD lever but the ambi release was in the way. My win I guess.

gregshin
04-30-12, 23:26
i use a troy's ambi mag release and wilson combat oversized bolt release.

Kfgk14
05-01-12, 02:06
My Troy mag release has been excellent. No need to do the flick, and it didn't take any adjustment to work out of box.

buckjay
05-01-12, 03:49
I've been pretty happy with the ambi mag catch on my AXTS AX556 :secret:

kenndapp
05-01-12, 03:55
I've been pretty happy with the ambi mag catch on my AXTS AX556 :secret:

i cant believe you just said that. i just learned about the ax556 last night while searching for a new ambi mag catch. needless to say......i want one. i just got done emailing axts to find out where i can get one (not in stock on website) and if the price tag of $429 includes all the feature hardware (mag catch, bolt catch, set screws, ext, ext) or am i just paying $429 for a stripped lower and then have to buy all the featured parts?????....as a lefty this thing is really calling me. crazy price tag or not.

buckjay
05-01-12, 04:20
i cant believe you just said that. i just learned about the ax556 last night while searching for a new ambi mag catch. needless to say......i want one. i just got done emailing axts to find out where i can get one (not in stock on website) and if the price tag of $429 includes all the feature hardware (mag catch, bolt catch, set screws, ext, ext) or am i just paying $429 for a stripped lower and then have to buy all the featured parts?????....as a lefty this thing is really calling me. crazy price tag or not.

Price isn't that bad. It includes all the proprietary parts and if you factor in the ambi mag catch, ambi bolt release, and ambi bolt catch the price starts looking pretty good.

For example the difference between a Noveske Gen 2 lower and the AX556 is around $180 but the AX556 includes all those ambi controls. Price goes down to $160 if you're going to buy the Battle Arms Ambi Safety (c'mon, you definitely owe that to yourself).

I've used the KAC ambi lowers and the price on that is very equivalent to the AX556 however, in my opinion, the AX556 feels much more intuitive and the ambi controls are much easier to actuate.

(Sorry if I'm rambling, about the hit the bed)

http://buckjay.com/drop/babies.jpg

rainman
05-01-12, 04:22
Using both Troy and Norgon...both work well for me. I find the Troy easier to hit (larger area).

No experience with KAC.

-Rainman

kenndapp
05-01-12, 06:54
i have heard that the pins can easily break in the troy unit. is there any truth to this?

kdcgrohl
05-01-12, 09:32
The only drop-in I've handles is the Norgon, and I have no complaints with them(after properly installed, see above posted).

press8506
05-01-12, 17:22
The wife and I both use Norgon's with no problems. I would take it out and check for obstructions or something that would cause yours not to operate correctly. How big is your hand compared to how big of a grip you have? The wife can't get enough leverage on it when shooting my rifle because of the bigger grip size compared to hers.