PDA

View Full Version : About to order

nick1909
04-30-12, 07:53
After many many many months of research, I have decided to order a upper and lower from Spikes tactical later today. I am new to this platform as a whole, would anyone mind letting me know if this is a good decision? I will be getting the lower: (Spider (Fire/Safe) Lower w/ Enhanced Kit - Black CTR Stock & MOE Grip) and the upper will be: (ST- Enhanced Upper- 16" Mid-Length w/ Handguard and FSB). The total will be $1,198.29 for those two as well as 2 pmags (30rds), a magpul MBUS rear folding sight, as well as an afg2. Once again, after much research i am strongly leaning to this. I know Colt has a lot of hype, however i feel i would be buying a name. Thanks!

C4IGrant
04-30-12, 09:18
After many many many months of research, I have decided to order a upper and lower from Spikes tactical later today. I am new to this platform as a whole, would anyone mind letting me know if this is a good decision? I will be getting the lower: (Spider (Fire/Safe) Lower w/ Enhanced Kit - Black CTR Stock & MOE Grip) and the upper will be: (ST- Enhanced Upper- 16" Mid-Length w/ Handguard and FSB). The total will be $1,198.29 for those two as well as 2 pmags (30rds), a magpul MBUS rear folding sight, as well as an afg2. Once again, after much research i am strongly leaning to this. I know Colt has a lot of hype, however i feel i would be buying a name. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your choice is neither a poor one nor a great one (in the middle).

Since you brought up Colt, I will take a moment to explain the "buying a name" comment. Colt is one of the few companies that actually holds the real Technical Data Package (TDP). This means that every single part on their gun has a spec and a standard that it HAS to follow. If the company you are buying an AR from does not hold this document, then you need to ask yourself; "what standard are they following?" Some companies follow very high standards because that is what the owner is about. Other companies are looking for the cheapest way to build an AR they can (that is their standard, cash in pocket).

Since we all buy and sell guns, the "Name" or brand of AR you are trying to sell becomes VERY important. Many people (that are into AR's) have NEVER heard of ST. My Mother (who doesn't shoot), knows who Colt is. So which gun do you think you can could sell and trade better with? Which one will hold its value better?

In regards to the price you are looking at, you can find Colt 6920's for around $1050. Assuming that you bought a Colt, you could sell the Rogers stock for $40-$60, Colt Carry Handle for $80-$100 and then added the CTR and MBUS you would be at $999. ;)

C4

Ouroborous
04-30-12, 09:27
As grant stated, oftentimes you are paying more for a lesser quality product when compared to a Colt. If you're new to the platform then you should be learning how to shoot your gun rather than worrying about your
Carrier key being properly staked or the myriad of other concerns
that buying a non-mil-spec rifle brings.
I'd recommend you go with a Colt, Daniel defense, or a BCM as would just about everyone else on this forum and then concentrate on training.

Grizzly16
04-30-12, 09:48

Grant answered well. But I'm curious where have you been researching for months that led you to believe Spikes is the best option?

nick1909
04-30-12, 15:25
Thanks all for the quick response!

Grant, in terms of the specs themselves is the colt far superior to what I posted? I would try to compare them myself however like I said I do not know enough about the platform yet! Thanks!!

-nick

C4IGrant
04-30-12, 15:41
Thanks all for the quick response!

Grant, in terms of the specs themselves is the colt far superior to what I posted? I would try to compare them myself however like I said I do not know enough about the platform yet! Thanks!!

-nick

IMHO, yes.

C4

Ouroborous
04-30-12, 16:11
Do yourself a favor- do it right the first time and go for a top tier rifle.

I learned the hard way after purchasing a non-mil spec rifle for $200 more than what I could've purchased a Colt for. Even then, I had to drop another $150 for a properly spec'd bolt and carrier and another $40 for an H2 buffer for my overly gassed rifle. That's $1400 total and I still prefer the performance of my $1050 Colt before I did any other mods to it.

nick1909
04-30-12, 18:41
Ouroborous,

I agree completely and I am trying to do that. The ST setup I posted is completely mil spec. Just not sure of the difference besides what grant told me.

ucrt
04-30-12, 19:03
Ouroborous,

I agree completely and I am trying to do that. The ST setup I posted is completely mil spec. Just not sure of the difference besides what grant told me.

====================================

Only a Colt (or FN) is "mil-spec". There is (a lot) more to "mil-spec" than being able to swap parts and claiming to be "mil-spec".

You haven't "researched for months" on this site, if the best you can come up with is spending $150 more for a ST than you can buy a Colt.

If you're going to buy a ST, better hurry because the firearms market is about to the point where ST likes start scalping buyers...hurry... :no:

But maybe it's just me...

nick1909
04-30-12, 19:37
For one i never said i researched this site for months. No need for rude remarks...just a new guy so relax. I spoke to a military buddy of mine about colts, and he told me to not go that route because the military only uses them due to their cheap cost to manufacture. I have no clue if this holds any truth, just a thought id add in for you guys.

So the colt 6920 is what I should be looking at? Just making sure.

C4IGrant
04-30-12, 19:49
For one i never said i researched this site for months. No need for rude remarks...just a new guy so relax. I spoke to a military buddy of mine about colts, and he told me to not go that route because the military only uses them due to their cheap cost to manufacture. I have no clue if this holds any truth, just a thought id add in for you guys.

Most people in the Military know nothing the weapon they are issued.

C4

bubba04
04-30-12, 19:53
o snap my plumbcrazy lower with m1sales 223 upper isn't the shiznet?!!!

Most people in the Military know nothing the weapon they are issued.

C4

I would shop around if I were you and pick up a 6920. Check out the stickys they have some good info.

nick1909
04-30-12, 19:56
yeah looks like I'm gonna go with colt. the le6920 or the sp6920?

polymorpheous
04-30-12, 19:57
OP, read the sticky threads in the technical subforums.
There is much that you can learn there.
Make your decision based on the knowledge you've absorbed there, not by a military guy's opinion, (who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about).

bubba04
04-30-12, 19:58

my understanding is they are the same just different roll marks.

polymorpheous
04-30-12, 19:58

They are exactly the same sans the rollmark.

Kokopelli
04-30-12, 20:02
Be sure to buy some ammo.. no joke.. Ron

John Fritz
04-30-12, 20:03
I bought a SP6920 and a ST15 and I'll tell you, I like them both about equally. Maybe after I fire them both a lot more then one will stand out above the other but I don't have any problems with my Spike's. My only regret is that I didn't get a mid-length.

nick1909
04-30-12, 20:04
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the help. Glad i didn't rush into anything without asking you all!

rob_s
04-30-12, 20:12

FWIW, the AFG is intended for a further forward mount even than what you can get on a mid-length. No matter what gun you choose I'd skip the AFG to start with and see if you need it or not.

a0cake
04-30-12, 21:43
I spoke to a military buddy of mine about colts, and he told me to not go that route because the military only uses them due to their cheap cost to manufacture.

Absolute nonsense. No disrespect intended to your buddy, but in this particular matter he is completely wrong. There are very few applications for which an AR-15 fits the job where a Colt rifle would not be my first choice. I've used Colt rifles with complete confidence in war and at home. Properly maintained and operated, Colt rifles are utterly reliable and accurate. The Spikes might not be a terrible rifle, but can you silence the voice in the back of your head that will inevitably say "shit, I should have bought a Colt?"

nick1909
04-30-12, 21:56
Cake, that is the thing that is getting me. Looking online for a Colt sp6920 right now!

I agree completely, when i heard what he said i was unsure of the comment. Thanks for the clarification and your service!

ucrt
04-30-12, 22:04
Cake, that is the thing that is getting me. Looking online for a Colt sp6920 right now!...

=====================================

The trick in getting a Colt (or any quality AR) is having an FFL to receive your gun setup ahead of time and having the money in hand. If you find a gun and then have to do all this, you'll probably miss out. Quality AR's are too easy for a vendor to sale for them to "hold" it for you or some other nonsense.

I remember during the panic vendors would change their website stating that they had "x" (quanity) AR's in stock and in 45-minutes, changing the site back because they would be out of stock.

The 6920's are out there but the window of availability is very short.

nick1909
04-30-12, 22:07
So you say i backorder one? I seem to have noticed what you are talking about, every website i have been on has said they are out of stock. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

C4IGrant
04-30-12, 22:09
So you say i backorder one? I seem to have noticed what you are talking about, every website i have been on has said they are out of stock. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

We have LE 6920's in stock.

C4

nick1909
04-30-12, 22:11
The le? I would prefer the other, read a post, may have been yours actually, about how people do not want law enforcement on their weapon hah! How much is that one running? And any hopes of the SP in the near future? Thanks!

DIRTMAN556
04-30-12, 22:17
Much like yourself, I researched my build for months and months before "pulling the trigger. Since the lower received is the only part that had to go through FFL dealer. I went ahead and purchased a complete Stag Arms lower at my local range. Probably paid $40 more dollars than I would have online somewhere, but the transfer fee made it a wash.

After many good reviews and posts (many people on m4carbine.net) my m4rgery was composed of a BCM upper 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider 1.5" to make it a legal 16" length to avoid the SBR tax. BCM Auto Bolt Carrier Group and mod 4 charging gunfighter handle. For handguards I went with the Magpul MOE.

Of course I DID consider the shortcomings of a pinned flash hider. Not easily removable, still I went ahead, figure I can just change the barrel at some point down the line and get a mid-length gas system.

Be careful of the "upgrade" black hole. Its easy to get carried away with all the cool stuff out there. Shoot your rifle as is before making changes to it. I shot my buddy's AR so I knew what I wanted right away. You may too, just some advice.

One last note, I'd consider a mid-length gas system. If I could do it over again, that's what I would change. I got caught up in the "carbine m4 hype."

nick1909
04-30-12, 22:23
The ST i was looking at is a mid-length i believe. Will that be a downside to purchasing the colt? I believe it has a carbine length system. Thanks for that input by the way!

ucrt
04-30-12, 22:38
The le? I would prefer the other, read a post, may have been yours actually, about how people do not want law enforcement on their weapon hah! How much is that one running? And any hopes of the SP in the near future? Thanks!

=========================================

If Grant has them in stock...you should jump. Can't find a better person to buy from. $1050 on his website - LINK (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920)
The serial number starts with "LE" the gun is rollmarked "M4 CARBINE; Cal. 5.56MM"

nick1909
04-30-12, 22:39
Sounds good, i will hop on that then. What is his website? If your "Link" was intended to be a link, it did not work for me haha. thanks!

polymorpheous
04-30-12, 22:43
gandrtactical.com

Edit: His link worked for me.
I'm on my phone FWIW.

Ouroborous
04-30-12, 23:30
I'd say you're a real lucky dog to be in the market for a Colt and for Grant to have em in stock when there's all this pre election buying frenzy happening. I bought my Colt from him 6 months ago- you won't be disappointed.

If you have any money left over, take Ron's advice and buy as much ammo as you can foresee yourself needing for training for the next 6 months till this election buying B.S blows over.

nick1909
04-30-12, 23:48
That is exactly what i am going to be doing hah. More than likely going to order mine tomorrow! :smile:

C4IGrant
05-01-12, 08:54

The SP's are no longer made.

All 6920's are back to "LE" now, but without the "Restricted" notification on the side.

C4

nick1909
05-01-12, 14:17
Thanks grant, I took a look and will be ordering one later today!:D

nick1909
05-01-12, 14:19
Also just double checking, shipping address is my FF correct?

C4IGrant
05-01-12, 16:45
Also just double checking, shipping address is my FF correct?

Correct.

C4

nick1909
05-01-12, 20:52
Order was placed about an hour ago! Thanks Grant for all your help and the great price! Thank you!

nick

Ouroborous
05-01-12, 21:57
Order was placed about an hour ago! Thanks Grant for all your help and the great price! Thank you!

nick

Ya done good sir. Congrats on the new top tier rifle!

nick1909
05-01-12, 22:28
haha thank you! Hopefully grant is quick with his shipping haha ;)

Spurholder
05-02-12, 10:53

Has your buddy never heard of $600 hammers? :D

Seriously - you made a good choice. Enjoy.

John Fritz
05-02-12, 20:58
The SP's are no longer made. All 6920's are back to "LE" now, but without the "Restricted" notification on the side. ...
Heh. Didn't see that coming. Jeez, how many posts did I read when I bought my SP last fall about everyone wanting to get that LE roll-mark before they became unavailable...