PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting ammo that feeds well through a magazine?

nick1909
04-30-12, 08:00
Any advice on some good hog hunting ammo that feeds well in .223? Heard rumors about hollow points and such not feeding. I am new to the forums so all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shokr21
04-30-12, 08:39
use the search function, there are at least 3 other recent threads with a wealth of info on the subject.

I used nosler tipped federal .223 55gr with great results. One shot DRT at 35 yards and a 185lbs boar.

Wiggity
04-30-12, 08:45
Good lord OP, did you even look in the hunting forum before posting in it?

There are 2 threads on the EXACT SAME subject on the first page.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103669

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95707

JW5219
04-30-12, 09:38
I'd give the Sierra 65gr sbt Gameking a try. No feeding issues for me and is a very stout bullet.

nick1909
04-30-12, 18:44
Wiggity I specified a bullet that feeds well in a magazine. So yes I looked and did not find what I was asking.

Wiggity
04-30-12, 21:41
Wiggity I specified a bullet that feeds well in a magazine. So yes I looked and did not find what I was asking.

Most all ammo, including hollow points, except maybe cheap russian steel cased ammo feeds well if your rifle isn't a piece of shit.

Whoever you heard these "rumors" from either has a piece of shit, or is having problems that aren't ammo related.

nick1909
04-30-12, 21:54
thats all i was asking for, i appreciate the help!

NulodPBall
05-01-12, 07:37
Unlike handguns, my experience with the AR-15 platform is that the bullet shape does not affect reliability of feeding.
But then again, the nose portion of most rifle ammunition does not vary in diameter as much as the .45 ammunition that I used to shoot. I used to reload partly because that's the only way I could get reliably functioning semi-wadcutters.

Really cheap ammo seems to have ignition and extraction issues, but any feeding issues (I like good M4 style ramps) seem to be more related to something mechanical on my AR15, and once I addressed those, I pretty much have extremely reliable feeding and extraction so now, I've only had magazine related (if I'm trying a new magazine) issues. I ditch the magazine (instead of trying to fix it) and my issues go away.

Stephen O
07-10-12, 17:25
As mentioned there are other threads on this subject, but to keep it simple for you, I throw this in here too. I've had good results with multiple options. I seen hogs go down with FMJ no problem and I've not personally seen any feed issues any factory hunting rounds. That being said, I'd rather use a good hunting bullet than FMJ and there are many good choices that you will see mentioned here on M4C. One I don't see mentioned much that I've had good success with is DRT Ammo. If you are having feeding issues, you may want to use the search feature to diagnose it.

Good luck!

nick1909
07-10-12, 18:51
Thanks i appreciate that, i don't have any feeding issues what so ever but thanks for the info!