PDA

View Full Version : Deleted

davidjinks
04-30-12, 09:36
…………………………………...

5pins
04-30-12, 10:01
Isn’t the 85 a .380? That’s reason enough not to get it.

davidjinks
04-30-12, 10:11
………………………………………………………..

GrandPooba
04-30-12, 10:28
no experience with the 85.

The 92 platform is great and is all I use for my carry, home defense, training, and competition.

There are variants of the 92 out there that are much better than the standard M9/92FS versions. I would keep a look out for 92G, 92G Elite II, 92G-SD (rare).

The 'G' config is optimal, but Beretta no longer makes them new. You can find used or police trade-ins online, or you can buy a 'G' slide and slap it on your 92FS frame.

Safetyhit
04-30-12, 10:35
If you like the Beretta platform then you really can't go wrong with the new 92, although my last handgun purchase was a newer design 90-Two in .40, which I prefer.

I suppose the 85 must have been the troopers off duty CCW weapon. Hope so anyway.

davidjinks
04-30-12, 10:52
………………………………………………….

BrigandTwoFour
04-30-12, 11:24
I have no experience with the 85, but the 92 platform has been utterly fantastic for me. I have a 92A1, and have installed a "D" spring to bring down the double action pull weight from 12 lbs to 8 lbs. I use it regularly in a local weekly competition and have never suffered one malfunction through a few thousand rounds now.

If you are seeking a DA/SA gun, the Beretta is a great option. But a lot of people are getting away from the DA/SA concept in favor of the consistent trigger of striker fired pistols. The Beretta's safety/decocker configuration frustrates a lot of shooters as well. It is very easy to activate the mechanism unintentionally when pulling back on the slide. It's a training issue, but the risk is always there.

The main reason I chose the Beretta (besides finding it's aesthetics to be dead sexy) is to gain familiarity with running the platform well. I am active duty USAF, I figured I might as well get as proficient as possible with the platform I am issued.

The 92 should not have much issue with +P ammo, as SAAMI +P is roughly equivalent to the NATO spec 9mm (or at least that's what I've been told).

oldgus3836
04-30-12, 12:48
I have both and have no problems with either. My wife can put 8 out of ten rounds in the A zone of an IDPA target at 30 feet with the 84 and she only shoots once every 3 or 4 years. But she does it every time with almost every gun she shoots, Needless to say I don't make her mad very often. I also have the 92 compact that I carry and that shoots as well as the full size and maybe a little better. I have shot the 92 at a couple of IDPA matches with no issues and the 84fs is her bedside gun so they do not get fired a lot.

KalashniKEV
04-30-12, 14:59
I just got one of the "M9" marked pistols just to have around and put some old mags and holsters to use. I took it out last week and had forgotten how much I actually liked it.

It's an old design, but accurate and reliable.

I say definitely don't get the 85.

Get the 92 if you don't care about night sights or a rail, have large hands, and don't drop the slide with your support hand on a reload. It's a great gun.

ShipWreck
04-30-12, 15:45
I have nine different 92s (of different variants). LOVE the platform. Sold off a lot of other stuff and just went all into the platform (I had owned some in years past, too).

I have come close to buying the 85FS many times. It does hold less than the 84FS, but the thinner grip is very, very nice in the hand. Great!

Pistol Shooter
04-30-12, 15:45
The 92FS is a very fine handgun in spite of the "backwards safety/decocker". Which is easy to learn. ;)

They are very accurate, easy to shoot well, extremely reliable with all types of fmj and jhp ammo, break down and clean easily.

I'd leave the .380 at the shop and take the 92FS home if it were my choice.

Good luck David, keep us updated on your purchase.

ShipWreck
04-30-12, 15:46
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Smiley/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

davidjinks
04-30-12, 17:13
…………………………………………………...

ggp2jz
04-30-12, 17:44
Get the 92 and use the money you were gonna use on the 85 and get a shitload of ammo.

Failure2Stop
04-30-12, 18:29
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Smiley/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

I fail to see how pictures would increase the value of the thread.
If you want to see pictures of pistols, google works pretty well.

gunnut284
04-30-12, 21:49
The 92FS is a good gun and if it works for you go for it. I don't see the point in the 85FS, its bigger than many 9mms but is a .380.

davidjinks
05-01-12, 05:32
…………………………………………….

oldgus3836
05-01-12, 06:21
The 92 Compact is a limited run I guess. I bought mine last year at Bass pro for my birthday. I will try to post a photo when I get home from work tonight. I was mistaken I have the double stack 380 model numbers on the 380's I do not keep up with. All I know is that the 380 holds 13 rounds and you can hit what you aim at very quickly and it is a very nice gun. I also have the 87 bb which is close to the same size as the 85/84 so same holster works and you shoot the 22 to practice for the 380. With buffaloe bore loads the 380 is not a bad round imho.

ShipWreck
05-01-12, 06:24
The 92 compacts had not been import for 10+ years. Last year, a big batch came in. I got 2. Now, they are hard to find. But, you can still get them if you try hard enough

GrandPooba
05-01-12, 08:58
Doing more research and reading, I am not finding any of the compact styles of the 92. Am I missing something or have they stopped making them?

I have read that Beretta cranks out a batch of them every now and then for a special run or whatever reason. I managed to snag a NIB compact a few months ago. You will have to scour gunbroker or berettaforum.net if you want a 92 compact. Luckily, all the parts except for the frame, slide, and barrel are identical to the fullsize 92.

As for the 85FS, I'm not a .380 hater. I know its short comings. However, that gun literally fits like it was made for my hand. I do not think it would see actual carry time but with its compactness, fit, feel and beauty, it's kind of hard to pass up.

if you like it, you should get it!

05-01-12, 09:26
I had a 92fs for many years, sold it when I saw a lightly used 92G at my local shop. The 92 series and 85 series tend to be large for their caliber but they do work. I love the fact I can go into my local GT dist and buy slightly used 92 mags for less than $10. Make good range/training mags.