PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Versatility Poll

Vapor Trail
04-30-12, 13:39
Just because I'm not in a combat environment doesn't mean I can't be curious about the weapon technology.

This is mostly a curiosity question, but could possibly help steer me in the right direction for an AR purchase, and I AM in the market for an AR. I just want to know which caliber is the most well-built for any imaginable combat or defense scenario. I'm looking forward to seeing if the poll results stack up to what the U.S. military has deemed appropriate for their troops. Is a 14.5" 5.56 truly the most versatile system? I don't know.

Also, if you're confident in your decision, what do you think the most versatile barrel length is for that cartridge, for any imaginable scenario?

My four best guesses would have to be 5.56, .300 BLK, 6.5 Grendel, and 7.62x51.

skyugo
04-30-12, 13:49
if it's your first AR I'd definitely go 5.56.

Cheap-ish training ammo is as good a reason as any. Size of the holes doesn't matter nearly as much as where you put them.

that said, 5.56 really is a versatile round, it's easy to fire fast followup shots up close, and it really is quite devastating from a terminal ballistics standpoint. It outperforms 30 cal (300 blackout and 7.62x39) past 300 yards. much flatter shooting.

I guess the ideal tactical rifle cartridge would have low recoil, and shoot a 30 cal bullet flat to 600 yards, but I'm not even sure that's within the realm of physics.

As far as barrel length I'd go 16" so you're not stuck with a permanent muzzle device. It does net you a few extra FPS of velocity too.

that said I'm a pretty big fan of the 300 blackout in a short barreled rifle for a home defense gun. If i had a spare 1000 bucks lying around i'd put one together. I shoot a BCM 16" middy in 5.56 at the moment.

lunchbox
04-30-12, 14:04
For first AR I would have to agree on 556, as far as 2nd what about 6.8 SPCII? Look at the data (ballistic/fps/muzz. vel/.etc...) it deserves to be a contender...Not better than any other Cal., but depending on your needs.

lunchbox
04-30-12, 14:10
I remember this guy now.....

CrazyFingers
04-30-12, 15:49
I just want to know which caliber is the most well-built for any imaginable combat or defense scenario

Like many of your other posts, this one makes little sense.
If there was a single caliber/barrel length that was superior to all others for any imaginable scenario, then the military/law enforcement would use that configuration exclusively.
But there isn't, which is why there are a multitude of different calibers.

What exactly is your expected scenario? That will guide your decision for the best caliber for you.

Of course, I could have just been trolled.

3 AE
04-30-12, 15:56
This is mostly a curiosity question. How long have you been researching getting an AR? Have viewed all of your other posts. If you haven't gotten one by now, well......... Why are people wasting their time?

C-grunt
04-30-12, 16:38
There isnt a be all do all. Thats why there are so many different rifle configurations. In the military alone you have several different M16s, several versions of the M4, the 10.3 inch Mk18 and the 18 inch Mk12.

I feel the best do all rifle is the RECCE concept; a 16 inch carbine with a low powered variable scope or ACOG. Its short enough for urban warfare but has the optics and barrel length to reach out past 500 yards.

Vapor Trail
04-30-12, 16:48
There isnt a be all do all. Thats why there are so many different rifle configurations. In the military alone you have several different M16s, several versions of the M4, the 10.3 inch Mk18 and the 18 inch Mk12.

I feel the best do all rifle is the RECCE concept; a 16 inch carbine with a low powered variable scope or ACOG. Its short enough for urban warfare but has the optics and barrel length to reach out past 500 yards.

What cartridge does the RECCE concept utilize??

crusader377
04-30-12, 17:16
For an AR platform, I would go with the 5.56 over the other choices due to the widespread availability and low cost.

Every AR configuration has its purpose and probably the most flexible configuration would be a 16" recce with a quality 1x4 variable optic.

That said, for a home defense carbine set up, I would go with a quality SBR with an aimpoint and a quality weapon light. My rationale is that although the recce is superior in the mid and longer ranges 100M-500M+, the SBR is very quick up close which the vast majority of your self defense shootings are close range shots.

sammage
04-30-12, 17:26

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=recce+rifle+cartridge

Safetyhit
04-30-12, 17:30
Just because I'm not in a combat environment doesn't mean I can't be curious about the weapon technology.

That sounds fascinating. Now where is the poll?

Anyway what do you want to use the weapon for? What is your experience level? What is your price range?

seb5
04-30-12, 17:49
I also say go with the 5.56 initially. There are several things that make me a 5.56 guy. Lethality is only one part of the equation for most of us. Availability, cost, controllability, and accuracy all add into the equation. If you can't afford or find ammo to train with a great caliber moves to the rear of the pack in a hurry.

C-grunt
04-30-12, 17:52

It usually uses the 5.56 cartridge but you could use pretty much whatever you like.

I believe the 5.56 is the best combat round out there right now for an infantry rifle. It is lethal out to beyond typical combat rifle ranges, has low recoil to aid in quick follow up shots and is light weight which allows you to carry lots of ammo.

During the invasion of Iraq I was a SAW gunner and carried 900 rounds on me at all times.

I do believe the 6.8 to be a great combat round as well. I think it would be better suited to its own rifle rather than being crammed into an AR. A slightly larger rifle would do that cartridge justice.

Ramone
04-30-12, 18:24
It has been my experience that (for the most part) those that feel the 5.56x45 NATO round to be insufficient for combat have actually never been in combat.

For other applications, I have often been astonished that those who feel it 'inhumane' to use it for hunting base their argument on poor marksmanship. IMO, if you can't hit it, don't take the shot (granted, things happen, but I have never had an issue making one shot kills up to 300 yards with it).

For marksmanship, it has edged out the mighty .308 win for most competitions out to 1000 yards.

Granted, I would not recommend it as a Long Range Precision round in a sniping application, or for Marksmanship beyond 1000 yards, But it is certainly one of the most versatile rounds available.

I keep coming back to an 18 to 20 inch barrel as the sweetspot for anything within 500 yards-

Vapor Trail
04-30-12, 19:46
That sounds fascinating. Now where is the poll?

I accidentally posted without checking off the poll box. My bad!

Iraqgunz
05-01-12, 01:54
Good night.