PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done ?

waterfowlwidowmaker
04-30-12, 20:06
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P15 with a 16" barrel. I am going to take the a2 sight off and put a low-pro gas block on. I was wondering if I could put a handguard/forearm on it that was longer then the original one. I would like it to end right at the flash suppresor. I tried finding some pics of it, and couldn't find any. So if this can be done and you have pics of it please post one so I can see what it looks like. Sorry if this is a dumb post but I'm new to the AR platform.

rob_s
04-30-12, 20:16
If you're new, what are you wanting to gain by adding the longer handguard. Sometimes if you're specific about the goal others can offer alternative solutions.

But yes, you can remove the plastic handguards and either cut down the stock front sight or replace it with a low-profile gas block you can mount a handguard over it. Some companies are making 15.0 length handguards and that will take you almost all the way to the back of the flash hider.

backspur
Yes, this can be done. Adding a free float handguard over a low profile gas block is a common upgrade. To achieve the look you desire, you will need a 15" handguard. There are options from Samson, Troy, and Midwest Industries, among others. A search should yield some pictures.

5pins
Yes it can be done. However you don’t need to buy a new gas block you can just cut down the A2 front sight. But the short answer is yes it’s done all the time.

waterfowlwidowmaker
04-30-12, 20:19
Thanks guys. I just want to do it for shits and giggles. Its just a plinking and hunting toy. Figured it would look good. Then if I can ever afford too and figure out the legal paper work of getting a suppresor I think it would be awesome. What I would really like is the suppresor back under neath the handguard and maybe hang out just a little.

3 AE
04-30-12, 21:00
You should get a quote from Red Jacket Firearms. They are very experienced in shits and giggles concepts.:D

waterfowlwidowmaker
04-30-12, 21:05
You should get a quote from Red Jacket Firearms. They are very experienced in shits and giggles concepts.:D

I'll give that one to ya:eek: