PDA

View Full Version : LEGAL Oil can suppressor

lunchbox
05-01-12, 08:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs&feature=g-vrec Just came across this, and thought would pass along (I can actually afford this setup:D)..... If old news please ignor.

QuietShootr
05-01-12, 09:11
Its legality is questionable at best. Stay away, unless you enjoy forcible buttsex.

ETA: we have an NFA section for questions like this.

lunchbox
05-01-12, 09:16
Its legality is questionable at best. Stay away, unless you enjoy forcible buttsex.

My bad, thought was legal since said it was registered.
No ?'s just interesting vid.

ra2bach
05-01-12, 09:28

no it's not. the video shows the "registered" adapter which is treated by the ATF as a suppressor. you pay all the fees, etc., and the filter cartridges are cheap and disposable.

benefits are cheaper price. cons are "how the hell do you use the sights with that oil filter on the front of my gun?..."

Grizzly16
05-01-12, 10:14
I kind of want one.

And that makes me feel bad about myself :D

QuietShootr
05-01-12, 12:15
no it's not. the video shows the "registered" adapter which is treated by the ATF as a suppressor. you pay all the fees, etc., and the filter cartridges are cheap and disposable.

benefits are cheaper price. cons are "how the hell do you use the sights with that oil filter on the front of my gun?..."

ATF has ruled repeatedly in the past that you can't possess suppressor components (such as wipes or sacrificial baffles) outside a registered tube. An oil filter is just an oil filter, until ATF decides that owning one in conjunction with one of these adapters is constructive possession of unregistered suppressor parts. And once a shot has been fired through the oil filter, it's definitely a suppressor part, so that leaves ATF a nice big loophole to butt**** somebody for possession of unregistered suppressor parts.

Buy one if you want, but just be aware you are vulnerable to ATF shenanigans, and maybe even have to surrender it like they did with the RPB MAC Coke-bottle adapters in the 80s. Only this time they'll have a real list of everyone that has one, since they'll be stamped.

Bad idea, IMO. But do what you want.

05-01-12, 12:42
I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft. pole. I don't look good in stripes.

Todd.K
05-01-12, 13:11
You can't change the tube of a silencer, even if the serial number is on the end.

It also may make the spare filter you have in the garage for your truck an unregistered silencer part.

SteyrAUG
05-01-12, 16:05
ATF shenanigans aside, we've all seen them say "It's ok then change their mind" and come out with rulings that are in direct opposition to previous rulings, not to mention laws.

That said, it is certainly an interesting idea for a makeshift suppressor.

SteyrAUG
05-01-12, 19:28
You can't change the tube of a silencer, even if the serial number is on the end.

It also may make the spare filter you have in the garage for your truck an unregistered silencer part.

All of is have unregistered Molotov cocktail components in our kitchen so we're all eventually screwed.

The part that actually scare me is them shooting the hold out of the bottom of the filter. Having grown up in "hunting country" I've seen plenty of examples of what happens when a barrel is blocked and pressure has no place else to go.

I'm guessing the oil filter contains those pressures long enough for the escape hole to be made. But I'd still be pretty nervous, especially with stuff like 5.56.

lunchbox
05-02-12, 00:58
First would like to say have no knowledge of suppressors and laws there in. But if they approved said item, wouldn't that have some sort of legal precedent? If not its overall legal status, but its uses and parts or whatever/however they set that stuff up.? Personally I don't get the silent appeal, always been a rocker.

QuietShootr
05-02-12, 07:36
First would like to say have no knowledge of suppressors and laws there in. But if they approved said item, wouldn't that have some sort of legal precedent? If not its overall legal status, but its uses and parts or whatever/however they set that stuff up.? Personally I don't get the silent appeal, always been a rocker.

Blue explains the assumption in red.

Grizzly16
05-02-12, 08:00

Out of morbid curiosity if their device had an outer tube and the oil can was simply treated as a baffle device would that be safer?

doubleajaybrock
05-02-12, 09:00
I wonder how awkward that would feel having such a bulky can on the end of the rifle!

QuietShootr
05-02-12, 09:59
Out of morbid curiosity if their device had an outer tube and the oil can was simply treated as a baffle device would that be safer?

Nope, same difference legally.

H0useofz
07-03-12, 17:33
they work very well. when using it on a rifle the sights can be used.
i have shot 308, 762x39 and 223 out of them and they work great.

Snake Plissken
07-03-12, 18:21

Correct. Even the manufacturer of this "suppressor" sells the serialized adapter with a serialized oil filter. You'd have to be an SOT or manufacturer to have spare oil filters if you owned one of these.

Regardless, considering how for not much more you can purchase a quality rimfire or centerfire pistol suppressor, the idea is a novelty one at best.

Turnkey11
07-03-12, 23:36
I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft. pole. I don't look good in stripes.

Dont worry, we issue Khaki now.:cool:

SilencedShooster
07-04-12, 11:50
I wouldn't waste a $200 tax stamp on that...

CAR-AR-M16
07-09-12, 14:17
ATF has ruled repeatedly in the past that you can't possess suppressor components (such as wipes or sacrificial baffles) outside a registered tube. An oil filter is just an oil filter, until ATF decides that owning one in conjunction with one of these adapters is constructive possession of unregistered suppressor parts. And once a shot has been fired through the oil filter, it's definitely a suppressor part, so that leaves ATF a nice big loophole to butt**** somebody for possession of unregistered suppressor parts.

Buy one if you want, but just be aware you are vulnerable to ATF shenanigans, and maybe even have to surrender it like they did with the RPB MAC Coke-bottle adapters in the 80s. Only this time they'll have a real list of everyone that has one, since they'll be stamped.

Bad idea, IMO. But do what you want.

This ATF letter (http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter66.txt) says that wipes are OK to replace.

In regard to the two parts in your cited example, we consider a
baffle to be a silencer, but a wipe, which is usually nothing more
than a rubber or plastic disc with a hole in it, is generally not
considered to be a silencer. Thus an individual owner could
replace a wipe.

Moltke
07-09-12, 15:16
Neat adaptation of existing tech. I'd still rather have an actual suppressor.

keller
07-09-12, 22:51
Real interesting part is that they sell these "adapters" as oil/solvent adapters for cleaning your gun at local gunshows for $35.

ChocLab
07-10-12, 00:46
Real interesting part is that they sell these "adapters" as oil/solvent adapters for cleaning your gun at local gunshows for $35.

You were not kidding if this is what you mean.

http://chicago.ebayclassifieds.com/sporting-goods/schaumburg/oil-filter-solvent-trap-thread-adapter-1-2-28/?ad=20211061

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Solvent-Trap-Thread-Adapter-AR-15-M16-/261028964894#ht_890wt_948

I would stay far far away.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-09-12, 07:55
Old thread, I know but I just saw the video for the first time. We can't have suppressors here in NY so I have very little experience. My question is not legal, but technical and it seams a few of you know quite a bit about it.

Why doesn't the gun explode when shooting the first round? Is there enough room for the gas pressure behind the bullet to dissipate on the initial shot? I'm trying to picture it all in my head just seams a little scary to me but it just may be inexperience talking.

Hydguy
09-11-12, 09:01
You were not kidding if this is what you mean.

http://chicago.ebayclassifieds.com/sporting-goods/schaumburg/oil-filter-solvent-trap-thread-adapter-1-2-28/?ad=20211061

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Solvent-Trap-Thread-Adapter-AR-15-M16-/261028964894#ht_890wt_948

I would stay far far away.

Clicked on the description link, to a site called DSK Armory, which had some links for gunsmith tools, reloading, and a few other things...

The only links that had products were the oil can adapters, and a 4 position FCG group.... Hmmm........

QuietShootr
09-11-12, 09:11
Old thread, I know but I just saw the video for the first time. We can't have suppressors here in NY so I have very little experience. My question is not legal, but technical and it seams a few of you know quite a bit about it.

Why doesn't the gun explode when shooting the first round? Is there enough room for the gas pressure behind the bullet to dissipate on the initial shot? I'm trying to picture it all in my head just seams a little scary to me but it just may be inexperience talking.

Because the barrel is not obstructed, and the barrel is a lot stronger than the oil can.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-11-12, 10:42
Because the barrel is not obstructed, and the barrel is a lot stronger than the oil can.

Oh ok, still kind of freaky