PDA

View Full Version : Preping my bud for Basic

WillBrink
05-01-12, 12:47
So my buddy decided to join the Army recently. He's in his early 30s.

He was in good shape, so I had no real fears he wouldn't get through basic.

He was worried like crazy for some reason. Anyway, he was strong like a bull but short on endurance/conditioning, so that's what was worked on for 6 months before he went in.

One of the things about Basic as I understand it (having never gone through it) is a large portion of it is the mental game. Not knowing when X run is going to end, and so forth often a bigger issue for some then the physical aspects.

Once his body was in condition, but his mind still not quite there, I had him take the 50lb sand bag and walk around the parking lot for 30 mins "or until I come get you."

As you all know, without a watch, hard to tell time and 30 mins can be a life time. Some times I'd get him in 20, some times in 40, but never in 30 :cool:

His final "test" was approx 3 weeks before leaving, I sent him off with the sand bag for his thing, got in my car, and drove off...:D

Never worked so long for such a prank that also helped him "get it" through his thick head that he was GTG.

He's a tough strong guy, I bet he walked around lugging that bag for an hour + I bet. Phone call came a few hours later and when something like "^%$ *&$ @(& *&^" and so forth.

Two weeks out, told him to do what high level athletes do, which is called "de training" which is a few weeks before an event, you greatly reduce training volume and intensity.

He peaked training wise approx 3 weeks out with that final "test" and allowed aches pains, CNS, etc, to normalize and off he went, 20lbs lighter, conditioned well for his short muscular frame.

Reason for the story, He emailed to say he was done and said "Basic was very basic" and he worried over nothing, and few of the 20 something kids could keep up with him, and yes, i was right, he had little to worry about as he was more than sufficiently trained up for it, etc.

OK, it's not BUDS or Ranger School, etc, but for him, a big deal, and dropping out from a bank job in his early 30s to join the Army can't be easy, but that was his dream and he knew he had to do it now or never.

CarlosDJackal
05-01-12, 13:48
My hat's off to your friend for joining at such an age and to you for helping him prepare. I went into the Army at age 20 stone cold and without any preparation. The very first day I could only do all of 5 push-ups.

The next day I fell back during the 4-mile run (along with a couple of others) and the whole Platoon had to turn around and pick us up repeatedly. My Drill Sergeants dogged me for this and rode me hard until I got whipped into shape. However, the fact that I never stopped running, no matter how slowly, seemed to please them as well. Not so one of my fellow run failures, he would quite and get on the deuce-and-a-half every time.

The second day of Basic, we got dropped in our assembly area which was gravel. I made the mistake of dropping into the push-up position without looking and a very sharp piece of gravel punched a hole through my palm. I had to wrap that sucker up for the next couple of weeks to keep if from getting infected.

I am pushing 49-years old and I don't think I would have made it through Basic, AIT, Airborne, Air Assault, PLDC, OCS, and other training courses if I tried. Am I ever glad that I sucked at my first year of College enough to decide to join the Army all those years ago.

Good luck to your friend in his new career!!

WillBrink
05-01-12, 16:55
My hat's off to your friend for joining at such an age and to you for helping him prepare. I went into the Army at age 20 stone cold and without any preparation. The very first day I could only do all of 5 push-ups.

The next day I fell back during the 4-mile run (along with a couple of others) and the whole Platoon had to turn around and pick us up repeatedly. My Drill Sergeants dogged me for this and rode me hard until I got whipped into shape. However, the fact that I never stopped running, no matter how slowly, seemed to please them as well. Not so one of my fellow run failures, he would quite and get on the deuce-and-a-half every time.

The second day of Basic, we got dropped in our assembly area which was gravel. I made the mistake of dropping into the push-up position without looking and a very sharp piece of gravel punched a hole through my palm. I had to wrap that sucker up for the next couple of weeks to keep if from getting infected.

I am pushing 49-years old and I don't think I would have made it through Basic, AIT, Airborne, Air Assault, PLDC, OCS, and other training courses if I tried. Am I ever glad that I sucked at my first year of College enough to decide to join the Army all those years ago.

Good luck to your friend in his new career!!

I'll pass that along! I'm proud of him and proud to call him a friend (he'll never hear that from me the idiot!) and few supported his decision. He worked for a bank, was engaged. Chick broke off the engagement last minute, and he realized that his real dream was to join the military, and seeing as he was not getting married any time soon, did it.

I also took him for his first experience with an AR before he went just so he knew which end goes bang, which is close to all I know about the AR platform. :jester:

Sensei
05-01-12, 17:12
I suspect that he will be ready for the physical fitness portions although he will get plenty of good workouts no matter what shape he is in on arrival. A lot of the mental games deal with organization, time pressure, and attention to detail. He will also experience a sense that he is always being watched. The first phase that lasts about 3-4 weeks is the worst.

One of the problems that some older soldiers have is integrating with the younger recruits. Team work is vital to get all of tasks accomplished in the little given time - a lesson that will be learned repeatedly in the first few weeks. He will need to operate as part of a team, so tell him to keep an open mind about his battle buddy and platoon mates.

WillBrink
05-01-12, 17:46
I suspect that he will be ready for the physical fitness portions although he will get plenty of good workouts no matter what shape he is in on arrival. A lot of the mental games deal with organization, time pressure, and attention to detail. He will also experience a sense that he is always being watched. The first phase that lasts about 3-4 weeks is the worst.

One of the problems that some older soldiers have is integrating with the younger recruits. Team work is vital to get all of tasks accomplished in the little given time - a lesson that will be learned repeatedly in the first few weeks. He will need to operate as part of a team, so tell him to keep an open mind about his battle buddy and platoon mates.

See final comments of my post, he's finished Basic. :cool:

C-grunt
05-01-12, 18:23
Good for him. What is his MOS?

Kchen986
05-01-12, 19:08
I found basic to be a lot of fun. And I was surprised that as a 24 y/o law student, I was considered 'in shape' next to the other 18 year old recruits.

Watrdawg
05-01-12, 20:03
Basic for me was relatively fun. Although I come from a military family. I was putting together my fathers LBE at 8 yrs old. I was 21 in very good shape and already in a military frame of mind. During Basic when we were learning our Common Tasks I ended up teaching my platoon how to employ the claymore and grading it for my company's CTT testing in our last phase of basic. Basic was all about teamwork, paying attention to detail, moving about at a military pace and giving a 110% effort at all times.