PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a quality matchgrade barrel.

Lpcogan
05-01-12, 13:04
I have a 300 Winchester magnum. Winchester model 70. What are some good names in the match grade dept.
Or should I just sell it take the 400 I'd spend on a barrel and buy another rifle. I could probably get about 600 out of the rifle. It's had some trigger work done, and a muzzle brake put on, and some good steel rings and bases. that would give me about 1000 to put into a new rifle.

orkan
05-01-12, 14:22
Krieger seems to find its way on most my rifles at some point.

Keith E.
05-05-12, 08:31
1 for Schneider.

Keith

Pappabear
05-06-12, 03:50
Keep the gun and have a Krieger put on it. Unless you have $2,500 or so to drop on gun that would be as good as the gun you would have with top end barrel.

rundm
05-06-12, 21:05
kreiger, rock, brux, bartlein, schneider, obermyer just to name a few of them. Generally, you can have a barrel put on with blue printing/squaring the action and such for about 600-800 with one of the premium barrels from a very good company. Gap, APA and Beanland Customs among several others come to mind.

zx2man
07-05-12, 21:08
rundm nailed it. Those are all fantastic quality barrel makers. We really have quite a few to choose from out there on the market. You can choose any of those guys, and as long as your rifle is put together properly, you are going to be satisfied.

fallenromeo
07-06-12, 10:24
Yep, rundm just started the list. Great companies

MOA
07-06-12, 12:19
Braughton, Lilja, douglus, plus all the ones already mentioned. Figure 400 for a barrel and a couple more to have it treaded on.

ETA- whats the goal for the rifle? Are you going to need to restock it and everything else needed to turn it into a tactical rig? Is it allready? Just rebuilding a hunting rig? Going to play at f-class? Cause you could be better off if it needs all that just getting a new rig. Depends on what it needs and the goals.

Explorer1
07-06-12, 21:22
Buy a brand name and you will have quality. If you need to know what is quality, check out the benchrest sites - like 6mmBR.com DO recall they do not have a lock on all the right answers, snipers love Rock barrels, etc.

Get the installer to inspect the barrel interior with a bore scope before anything is done to it as most suppliers will replace a defective barrel.

The bigger challenge in CORRECT installation. BUT this depends on the use! A benchrest chamber is useless in elk camp and vice versa so find a smith who has a long term reputation for the type of work you want done, not someone's brother in law who has a lathe and installs3 barrels every 2 years.

And be ready to wait. If you order a barrel from the manufacturer, expect 3-4 months and something similar is not unusual for quality installations.

Lpcogan
07-07-12, 11:36
Yeah I have a Winchester model 70 chambered in 300 win mag. Problem one is that the chamber is too long to be able to hand load a round that will fit tight up against the rifle landing and also in the magazine well. The mag well is just to small. Also the barrel is very thin (hunting rifle to save on weight) but I want a thicker barrel for better accuracy maybe even fluted for heat dispersion.

AR15barrels
07-08-12, 00:32
Yeah I have a Winchester model 70 chambered in 300 win mag. Problem one is that the chamber is too long to be able to hand load a round that will fit tight up against the rifle landing and also in the magazine well. The mag well is just to small. Also the barrel is very thin (hunting rifle to save on weight) but I want a thicker barrel for better accuracy maybe even fluted for heat dispersion.

You must have a factory chamber.
Most factory chambers these as will have throats so long that you can't touch the lands and fit the loaded rounds in the magazine box.
The lawyers like it this way...

Going to a custom chambered barrel is what you are going to need to do.
Selling one factory gun and buying another is just gonna leave you where you are now...
Talk with your gunsmith about the throat length of his reamer.
Make sure it will work with the bullets you wan to shoot at the length you want them to touch the lands.
Any premium quality barrel s gonna run $300 to start and then figure on $200 to $600 in Gunsmithing depending on if you choose to true the action and bed the stock while the gun is apart...