PDA

View Full Version : colt 6290 or lmt defender

dukebri000
05-01-12, 15:24
i am about to purchase my first ar and am trying to get the closet to mil spec as possible. from what i have read the colt 6290 and the lmt defender are my best options and are about the same price. i was interested in feedback from people who have owned either of these rifles to see what you think about them, or if you would suggest a differnt rifle all together. all imput will be appreciated, thank you.

dukebri000
05-01-12, 15:26
i have read some of the other threads about this subject, so please dont just refer me to them

Moltke
05-01-12, 15:37
The Colt is the closest to milspec, both are nice rifles, I would suggest if you don't care about the brand then buy the one you can get for less money. Remember to shop around, G&R Tactical is a good reference for price.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

If you've read the sticky'd threads at the top of the forums, then you should already have known the answer to this very generic and basic question. You'll need to change the stock if you buy the Colt but the important parts internally are all "milspec".

trlcavscout
05-01-12, 16:22
I voted for the LMT, i have owned the Colt and carried colts and owned a few other colts. But because of their CS i wont own colts anymore. LMT is a great AR also so if its only between those two.

sammage
05-01-12, 16:25
Flip a coin, they are both great carbines.

crusader377
05-01-12, 16:25
I voted for Colt but the LMT is a great rifle as well. I would also check out BCM. For a complete carbine, Colt may have the price advantage as well if you purchase through grtactical.com or dsgarms.com.

dukebri000
05-01-12, 16:29
I voted for Colt but the LMT is a great rifle as well. I would also check out BCM. For a complete carbine, Colt may have the price advantage as well if you purchase through grtactical.com or dsgarms.com.

A freind also just suggested BCM. Thanks for the imput everyone.

crusader377
05-01-12, 16:37
A freind also just suggested BCM. Thanks for the imput everyone.

All three are great rifles and will serve you well. I would purchase the one that is least expensive. I would also recommend a Daniel Defense XV but it seems that they are no longer listed on their website.

C-grunt
05-01-12, 19:10
I voted Colt but it really is a flip a coin type of choice.

BufordTJustice
05-01-12, 19:18

BINGO.

Your head is already right since you're looking at two great carbines. Buy whichever you can get a better deal on.

EDIT: I did vote LMT but only due my superior experiences with their customer service. Both are GTG.

Clem
05-01-12, 19:22
All three are great rifles and will serve you well. I would purchase the one that is least expensive. I would also recommend a Daniel Defense XV but it seems that they are no longer listed on their website.

No XV's but I found an XVM here.
I think the only difference is that the XV is a carbine gas and the XVM is midlength gas.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2680

duece71
05-01-12, 19:36
I own both, Colt MT6400 (a post ban "neutered" 6920) and the LMT MWS 308. I doubt you will go wrong with either brand so using the coin is a win win.

sapper36
05-01-12, 19:36
This exact same question was asked yesterday. Search is your friend.

However after looking for that thread for you, you are the one the responded to it from four years ago.. And you gave that guy advice, so why would you ask again? Come on man

3 AE
05-01-12, 22:35
A poll to decide? If there is just one more post in favor of a Colt over the LMT or vice versa, is that how you would base your final decision?

polymorpheous
05-01-12, 22:49
Please, new members, can we please cease with all of the brand X or brand Y threads?

Use the search function.
It works.

jhs1969
05-01-12, 22:54
I have owned both, I prefer the Colt. In fact I still own the Colt, not so the LMT. The LMT is a very good rifle, but, again, I prefer the Colt. I also have a BCM, and would also choose this before LMT.

3 AE
05-01-12, 22:58
Please, new members, can we please cease with all of the brand X or brand Y threads?

Use the search function.
It works.
You know that is not going to happen! Picture in your mind how this is going to play out as the we ramp up towards election day. There are just too many that have spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express and we have members who just can't help themselves from adding to the the noise. Really no difference than being fanboys to the Khardasians when it comes down to brand X versus brand Y. LOL :D

jhs1969
05-01-12, 23:59

Use the search function.
It works.

I agree, I normally do not reply to these type of threads (and I never read a single reply before I posted either) but I did for two reasons. One, I have or had owned both of these carbines. Two, I liked the fact that it was in a poll format, I feel that would put numbers on the board that would be easier to dicern which would be the most selected choice.

OP, I hope you use the information the members of this board will provide you.

duece71
05-02-12, 06:14
I think we can all agree that both Colt and LMT are fine weapons and that if the OP used the orange search button at the top, he could find all that he is looking for and much more to help with the decision. I think this thread, like many others of the same nature has run its course..........

tankbulldog
05-02-12, 06:25
Well I am new to the AR Rifles but I just ordered my Colt 6920 Magpul and it should be here early next week. can't wait to get it.

doubleajaybrock
05-02-12, 08:27

Tails it is!

Sensei
05-02-12, 08:58
Colt is my first choice among two very good options.

Eurodriver
05-02-12, 09:33
As others have said, LMT's customer service is top notch.

With that said, I would order a BCM LW Midlength if I were in the market for a first carbine.

kong
05-02-12, 10:43
Colt. Here is why.

1. The only AR built by a military contractor, on a military production line, using the TDP. LMT is good no doubt but I know that Colt puts the same parts in thier lowers that gets put in real M4. LMT LPK's might be as good but I don't know.

At my LGS, the cost is about the same. I own 3 6920's. All bought new or unfired. None cost over 1K. I think if you shop around on line you will find them cheaper than the LMT if you are buying new.