PDA

View Full Version : Your best hog or coyote hunting story?

Doc Safari
05-01-12, 17:03
I haven't hunted coyotes in a long time. Usually I'm too busy doing other things, although I have taken a snap shot at one occasionally (and usually miss). :D

With reports of the feral hog problem about to reach this county, I'm stoked that I'm going to be poking holes in pork pretty soon.

Got any hair-raising, death-defying, or otherwise interesting hog or coyote hunting story?

Like when you shot that coyote just before he grabbed one of your sheep or something?

Or maybe you thought that hog was done for and he had one last attempt to slash your leg with his tusk?

leadsender
05-01-12, 18:19
I has perched on the edge of a 15 foot cliff calling coyotes when I heard some sage brush move to my side I looked to my left and saw a coyote walking right below me I didn't have a shot. I stood up to get a better position and was looking at a coyote that was walking the top rim of the canyon. Just about jumped off the cliff!! I only got the lower one lost sight of the top one once he saw me.

CDW4ME
05-01-12, 21:28
In 1991, I shot a wild boar with a .44 Mag revolver, I used my own handload with a SWC-GC. After I shot him he fell off a bluff and busted up his insides (nasty). He had about 3'' tusk.

A few years ago, I was bowhunting and had my chance at a coyote; he trotted by at 20 yards and I hit him in the shoulder with a big mechanical broadhead. The impact literally knocked him off his feet. He got up and ran in a circle; I just knew he was mine. He quickly ran off the field and into the woods. I followed the trail for about 75 yards to where he made it back to a deep hole / den down in the ground. I was deprived of my coyote pelt. :(

J-Dub
05-06-12, 18:44
Opening day deer season 3yrs ago, a 200lb'er came into the feeder and scared off some spikes i was watching.

He took a 170gr Corelokt @ 85yds from my Marlin 336 30-30 (iron sights) right behind the shoulder. Complete pass thourgh. The blood trail was crazy, quite the gusher. He ran about 50yds and tumbled down into a draw......

Nothing crazy, just an avg. day hunting in N.W. Texas..

matemike
05-06-12, 22:24
I was with a friend of mine and we were walking/stalking for wild hogs around my Dad's house in Clute, Texas. My buddy had just bought a Mossberg 500 from a pawn shop the day before. I was carrying my Benelli SBE with 26" barrel.

After about an hour, we found a herd of hoggs next to a drainage ditch that lead out into a huge field. We knelt lower in the high grass and let them come towards us. Their heads were all down, and they were completely oblivious to our presence.

Once they were about 25 yards away, we whispered to eachother...One, two, three. I raised up and touched off the Federal 2 3/4" copper plated buckshot while aiming about an inch above the largest pig's back. She dropped imediately. The rest of the bunch all scattered. I threw out one more hay maker and blasted a baby, stopping it in it's tracks. I asked my friend how many he got, and he said he forgot to remove his safety, so he never fired. Haha.

I gather up the baby, which was not such a baby, about a 30 pound piggie and walked over to where the sow was dropped. Turns out, another 30 pound piggie laid just five yards beyond the big one.

Two shots = three pigs

B Cart
05-07-12, 12:57
I apologize that this story doesn’t contain a pig or coyote, but it was pretty cool, so I thought I’d share.

My buddy and I were bow hunting mule deer in Utah a couple years back and my buddy shot a 3x3 buck in the front shoulder. Unfortunately the shot was too far forward for a quick kill, but still left a little blood trail. We tracked the blood trail for 150 yards or so to the edge of a meadow and then lost the trail. We were walking around the last blood spot trying to find more blood when all of a sudden the deer he shot came tearing out of the trees on the other side of the meadow. Right behind the deer, running at full steam, was a huge mountain lion in full stride! The cat was only a couple feet behind the deer and both were hauling ass! The cat chased the deer across the meadow before they ran back into the trees and were gone. Suffice it to say, that was the last we saw of his deer. Even though we didn't go home with a deer, seeing that huge cat was well worth the trip.