PDA

View Full Version : Help me build/spec out a 9mm SBR

lowepg
05-01-12, 21:55
I would like to build a SBR in 9mm and add a can (octane hd)

I've seen the purpose-built 9mm sets, but I'm wondering if I can utilize the m4 I already have and save some $$$$.

Not too get too demanding, but I also own a ton of 9mm glock mags (for my g34 and keltec sub2000), so a lower that accepts glock mags would be a plus....

Here's my current M4 specs:

LMT Forged A3 Upper w/Foward Assist
Wilson Arms Military Profile 16" Barrel w/ 1:9 Twist
Custom A2 Pinned Low Pro Gas Block
M4 Carbine 6 Position Stock w/ Sling Attachment
Spikes Tactical Forged Lower
A2 Flash Hider
Military Contractor BCG (LMT,LAR,CMT)
Military Contractor LPK (LMT,LAR,CMT)
M4 Battle Grip
YHM Specter Length Rail

Elessar
05-02-12, 16:48
I know you specifically asked about 9mm, but just to make sure: Have you already ruled out doing a .300 blackout instead of the 9mm?

krichbaum
05-02-12, 20:07

SteyrAUG
05-03-12, 00:24
I would just do a RRA factory SBR and be done with it. They have many configuration options and the 9mm is basically a blowback so you don't have to worry about many "chart" issues.

KalashniKEV
05-03-12, 08:48
I would just do a RRA factory SBR and be done with it.

+1

I have one RRA and one built upper with a 5.5" TROS and they both run great.

Just order an upper from Adco or whoever. Then add your block of choice.

BOOM. Done.

(Afterthought- strongly recommend KNS pins an an H3 when you have time to upgrade)

lowepg
05-03-12, 09:55
OK... I guess Im rethinking my plans a bit.

How about buying a 9mm ar pistol?

That way I can use it now while I wait for the tax stamp, then can convert it to a sbr?

RRA has full 9mm pistols for ~$1000. Is that a decent deal? Im willing to pay a little bit extra for a well-assembled full gun, but I guess Id heard varied feedback on RRA quality....

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/pu9pist.gif

cj5_dude
05-03-12, 10:17
I'd also look at Olympic Arms uppers. I have one of theirs in .40 S&W with a 10 inch barrel on my SBR and it's a blast.

KalashniKEV
05-03-12, 11:00

AR... Pistol???

Why?

I'd also look at Olympic Arms uppers. I have one of theirs in .40 S&W with a 10 inch barrel on my SBR and it's a blast.

It should be mentioned that when it comes to pistol caliber ARs, there's "Colt Pattern" (ejector on lower) and "Olympic Pattern" (ejector on upper).

It's usually best to avoid Olympic and the compatibility issues that they create- though they were first to market with a Glock Mag setup... if that's your thing.

lowepg
05-03-12, 11:23
AR... Pistol???

Why?

Because my ultimate goal is building a SBR.

If I "start" with a rifle, Im basically waiting for 6months...

If I start with a pistol, I can possess it right now, and when the form1 is approved, simple add a rifle stock and *bang* a SBR.

Granted Im new to the SBR scene, but I was thinking this was a sound strategy.... am I missing some gotcha?

devinsdad
05-03-12, 11:51
To utilize the Glock mags, you will be forced to use a Lone Wolf lower. DDLES Is coming out with a lower that will accept Glock mags, I hope it hits the market soon as their lowers are the best looking of all that are on the market. They use a floating ejector that I really have zero experience with. Perhaps others with more time on the system can elaborate more about it. While there are a shit ton of them out there in use, 9mm magazine adapters are the bain of the system. Colt pinned theirs in palce in order to elimimate the movement issues. RRA and CMMG now make a dedicated magwell lower. Standard looking magwell, but only broached for a 9mm magazine. That is the best way to do it. DDLES makes a lower with a 9mm mag "shape" that looks great. Slow delivery has been their biggest issue, but it sure looks sweet. 9mm Is blowback, so unless you use a 9mm upper, you'll be left with a hole in the front where the gas tube used to go. Seems like it should be very easy to use an existing 5.56 and swap to 9mm. You can do it...as thousands have. But a dedicated 9mm is far better. You'll be better off (if you use a non-Glock mag lower) with Metalform magazines as they are the gold standard of mags. I run CProducts mags and have yet to have an issue, but I'm in the minority I suppose. I built up a RRA 7" SBR using all RRA components and it runs outstanding. Everyone should have one, zero recoil, cheaper to shoot and damn fun to boot. Whats not to love?

cj5_dude
05-03-12, 11:57
AR... Pistol???

Why?

It should be mentioned that when it comes to pistol caliber ARs, there's "Colt Pattern" (ejector on lower) and "Olympic Pattern" (ejector on upper).

It's usually best to avoid Olympic and the compatibility issues that they create- though they were first to market with a Glock Mag setup... if that's your thing.

What compatibility issues are there? The ejector is a small wire built into the upper and it is compatible with any AR lower. It's a very simple design that is very easy to maintain. Would you care to speak of what compatibility issues you are talking about please? They do make their own mags too, and I believe the current polymer mags they make have bolt lock open on empty too.

SteyrAUG
05-03-12, 12:31
OK... I guess Im rethinking my plans a bit.

That way I can use it now while I wait for the tax stamp, then can convert it to a sbr?

RRA has full 9mm pistols for ~$1000. Is that a decent deal? Im willing to pay a little bit extra for a well-assembled full gun, but I guess Id heard varied feedback on RRA quality....

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/pu9pist.gif

RRA makes a decent commercial gun. Keep in mind it's not a gas operated 5.56 so many of the reasons people feel compelled to buy a Colt won't really apply.

lowepg
05-03-12, 14:11
To utilize the Glock mags, you will be forced to use a Lone Wolf lower. DDLES Is coming out with a lower that will accept Glock mags, but it isn't out yet and their record of delivering products on time is horrible at best.

The DDLES glock lower is available- as of today :-)

But when I priced out a full upper and lower, it was like $1400 to the $1000 or so for the RRA.... PLUS build time.

One plus- it would come engraved....

For a fun range gun/toy, Im wondering if the DDLES is worth the 40% premium cost....

KalashniKEV
05-03-12, 14:49
If I start with a pistol, I can possess it right now, and when the form1 is approved, simple add a rifle stock and *bang* a SBR.

You can swap the "pistol" extension for a mil-spec one, but why even bother with a pistol extension in the first place?

Yeah... I know... you can pull outward on the sling and do cool things like "bump fire" and you might get good enough to knock down 3 beer cans in a single mag... but how come?

To utilize the Glock mags, you will be forced to use a Lone Wolf lower.

Or DDLS, or Olympic. All of them are dedicated 9mm lowers of course.

What compatibility issues are there?

If you want to use a quality block like a Hahn or Hy-tech (if you can find one!) plus inexpensive, plentiful, high quality mags (like Uzi mags) you are going to have to use a Colt system.

If you trust Olympic, and are OK with their system, then have at it.

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad138/TJAR15/My%20Olympic%20Rifles/OlyK9002.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/Cosmiconeder/DSC_0195.jpg

lowepg
05-03-12, 22:01
You can swap the "pistol" extension for a mil-spec one, but why even bother with a pistol extension in the first place?

Yeah... I know... you can pull outward on the sling and do cool things like "bump fire" and you might get good enough to knock down 3 beer cans in a single mag... but how come?

I don't understand your slamming of the pistol extension?

The pistol is a means to an end (SBR). I think the bare tube is dumb looking, but I didn't think I had a choice when buying an AR pistol....

PS- I consider shooting multiple beer cans a legitimate reason to buy a gun.... :-)

lowepg
05-04-12, 11:48
Thanks for all the help folks...

I ended up biting the bullet a bit and spending the dough to get the right one from the guys at DDLES. They already sent me a mockup so i can visualize barrel length vs handguard length (with suppressor)...

matched DDLES upper and lower, new glock mag receiver, 4" barrel, 6.5" guard.

pretty good guys to deal with!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/7142370119_49369c337b_z.jpg

Mike from Texas
05-11-12, 22:47
That is freaking sweet! I might want one of those now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Iraqgunz
05-12-12, 04:02
Since we know that the 9mm SBR is inferior to the 5.56 SBR what was your reasoning for going with the 9mm? Are you using it for plinking only? just curious because a good 5.56 SBR would have been as much or less depending on factors.

Bret
05-13-12, 20:16
Although I have a RRA 9mm and think that you would have been plenty happy with it, I have to say that the setup pictured looks great. I like the 9mm lower receiver magazine well. Once you get it, let us know how it performs.

lowepg
05-13-12, 20:53
Since we know that the 9mm SBR is inferior to the 5.56 SBR what was your reasoning for going with the 9mm? Are you using it for plinking only? just curious because a good 5.56 SBR would have been as much or less depending on factors.

Fair question.

1. I want a VERY compact SBR. My understanding is that a 4" barrel is NOT ideal for 5.56. Also, since I want to supress, I've seen recommendations for nothing shorter than 10" for 5.56 suppressor use. Conversely, a short barrel will work just fine for 9mm and not affect its terminal ballistics or performance at all.

2. I want quiet. While I know I can certainly supress a 5.56, I don't think I could ever approach the quietness of a subsonic 9mm though a high quality suppressor.

Btw, I'm not a caliber zealot. I happily shoot .22, 38, 357, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, 5.56 and 30.06....So I don't want to get into a ballistics pissing match . I may down the road build a 300 blackout upper, and I'd likely look to suppress that too, but that's down the road.

For now, my interest lies in the 9mm.... Understanding it's not perfect.

Fireman1291
05-14-12, 10:14
Thanks for all the help folks...

I ended up biting the bullet a bit and spending the dough to get the right one from the guys at DDLES. They already sent me a mockup so i can visualize barrel length vs handguard length (with suppressor)...

matched DDLES upper and lower, new glock mag receiver, 4" barrel, 6.5" guard.

pretty good guys to deal with!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/7142370119_49369c337b_z.jpg

Im looking at the same exact build. Whats quieter? A 4", 5.5", or 7" barrel? And will a Tirant fit under the troy and DDLES rail?

brett
05-14-12, 13:31
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/brett250/IMG_0583-1.jpg

Enjoy! I love mine. Colt 5.5 threaded factory barrel, YHM quad rail, Spikes Tactical lower and a SWR Trident suppressor. You guys can guess the rest. Very, very quiet. :smile:

Fireman1291
05-14-12, 16:34
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/brett250/IMG_0583-1.jpg

Enjoy! I love mine. Colt 5.5 threaded factory barrel, YHM quad rail, Spikes Tactical lower and a SWR Trident suppressor. You guys can guess the rest. Very, very quiet. :smile:

I'll have video of that tomorrow;)

I heard back from DDLES, the Tirant DOES fit inside thier handguards. Sweet.