PDA

View Full Version : Storing gun oil in the grip core

frogger
05-02-12, 02:52
I am considering switching my grip core on my Magpul MIAD grip to the one that holds a spare bolt and firing pin. Currently, it holds spare AA batteries for my EOTech, but I am about to switch to the Magpul STR stock and I can store the batteries there instead. If I am going to have the bolt and firing pin, I'd like to also have a small amount of gun oil stored too. Does anyone know where I can get a bottle of gun oil small enough that it would fit in the core with the bolt and firing pin? If not, how about something small enough that it would fit in the battery tube of the STR stock. Either way, I would need it to be in a secure enough container that I wouldn't have to worry about it leaking oil all over my hand or the batteries in the stock. Another solution would be if anyone knows where I can find a very small, securely closing container that would fit and I could just fill it with gun oil myself. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

markdh720
05-02-12, 03:02
I took an empty small bottle of Systane eye drops and filled it with Weaponshield and put in in my grip. A rag is folded up small and keeps the bottle in place. I think the MOE and MIAD are comparable in storage capacity. There is no room for a spare bolt even without the rag. You'll have to find something thinner than an eye drop bottle. Hope that's some help.

polymorpheous
05-02-12, 03:07
Got a small dropper bottle to fit perfectly in a Tango Down stubby VGG.

RiggerGod
05-02-12, 03:27
SLIP 2000 has just what you need:

http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=S&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60314

This small bottle is approximately:
2-5/16" H x .69" W
About the circumference as a 3.0V battery #123.

frogger
05-02-12, 03:44
That is perfect! Do you know if the bottles are refillable?

SLIP 2000 has just what you need:

http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=S&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60314

This small bottle is approximately:
2-5/16" H x .69" W
About the circumference as a 3.0V battery #123.

RiggerGod
05-02-12, 04:32
Probably. I image you could refill with a needle oiler or simply suction more out of a larger vessel. I usually buy by the gallon and simply refill my 1 and 4 oz containers. Works for me.

Col_Crocs
05-02-12, 05:17
Dont buy another core. If it doesnt fit in the AA batt core, use the one that came with the grip... Just take out the rubber insert. If your bottle doesnt fit snug, just stick rubber strips around the inside.

SMETNA
05-02-12, 05:23
Not being a prick, just asking:

What's the benefit of this over keeping a bottle in a pouch? Or in the patrol car if you're a LEO?

JW1069
05-02-12, 09:06
LaRue throws in a small bottle of their machine gunners lube when you buy stuff from them. I've got these little bottles stashed somewhere on every rifle.;)

A re-tasked eye drop bottle filled with your lube of choice works well too. Stick it into a snack size Ziplok baggie and it will also help to keep the bottle from rattling around.

Canonshooter
05-02-12, 09:06

What's the benefit of this over keeping a bottle in a pouch? Or in the patrol car if you're a LEO?

For those who are not LEO and may have to engage bad guys in just your underwear.

Since she likes to be kept wet (and can bitch if she is not), having some lube stored on the gun is IMO a good idea.

krisjon
05-02-12, 09:45
LaRue throws in a small bottle of their machine gunners lube when you buy stuff from them.

So does Sprinco when you order any buffer/extractor spring kit.

SMETNA
05-02-12, 10:04
For those who are not LEO and may have to engage bad guys in just your underwear.

Since she likes to be kept wet (and can bitch if she is not), having some lube stored on the gun is IMO a good idea.

Okay, but if you're in your underwear and are being assailed by baddies, and you've fired so many rounds that the lube on the BCG has gone . . . .

I mean, it's a bit silly. Come on.

Keeping your HD carbine lubed in storage, and then cycling the action a few times every so often is fine. Anything more than that is a solution looking for a nonexistent problem.

Canonshooter
05-02-12, 11:20
Okay, but if you're in your underwear and are being assailed by baddies, and you've fired so many rounds that the lube on the BCG has gone . . . .

I'm doing a visual on that scenario right now, and depending on who the shooter is, could be or not a pretty picture. :D

Pardon my warped sense of humor....

Noodles McGee
05-02-12, 11:22
I got a box of expired eyedrops from my eye doc. Pop off the dropper tip and replaced with oil. Marked all with oil from a paint pen. Oil sucks in your eyes.

I think its a .3ml bottle.

ra2bach
05-02-12, 13:21

there's nothing wrong with keeping larger supply bottles somewhere else. but this way, there's always lube available where it's supposed to be - with the gun...

Elessar
05-02-12, 15:49
Don't need lube if I don't have ammo. Therefore, keeping it near the ammo seems to work fine as well.

there's nothing wrong with keeping larger supply bottles somewhere else. but this way, there's always lube available where it's supposed to be - with the gun...

glocktogo
05-02-12, 16:52

I'd counter by asking "what benefit is there to NOT keeping a small bottle stored on the rifle?"

Seems it would be cheap function insurance in the event you happened to be caught in need of some away from home, patrol unit or aforementioned pouch. :)

Canonshooter
05-02-12, 19:12
Magpul makes inserts for ammo and a spare bolt, so stashing some oil in the grip does not seem entirely counter-intuitive.

Personally, I keep some suntan lotion in there....:D

RiggerGod
05-02-12, 22:09

Really rural LEO. I'm semi-regularly away from my rig for the better part of a shift and occasionally for days at a time. I usually grab the rifle and will almost always grab a patrol bandoleer and a pack; but if for some reason I was to grab the gun and run it would be nice to have some essentials on the weapon itself.

ra2bach
05-03-12, 09:36
Don't need lube if I don't have ammo. Therefore, keeping it near the ammo seems to work fine as well.

you lube your ammo?

ra2bach
05-03-12, 09:43
Really rural LEO. I'm semi-regularly away from my rig for the better part of a shift and occasionally for days at a time. I usually grab the rifle and will almost always grab a patrol bandoleer and a pack; but if for some reason I was to grab the gun and run it would be nice to have some essentials on the weapon itself.

one of the few things I have on the gun (besides lube) is batteries for the optic and allen/torx wrenches specific to that gun.

elchupanibre
06-02-12, 21:25
[QUOTE=Canonshooter;1296990]For those who are not LEO and may have to engage bad guys in just your underwear.

^ I would also like to store a small sandwich rolled up in the buttstock, just in case intruders really take their time. :jester:

ccosby
06-02-12, 22:07
LaRue throws in a small bottle of their machine gunners lube when you buy stuff from them. I've got these little bottles stashed somewhere on every rifle.;)

A re-tasked eye drop bottle filled with your lube of choice works well too. Stick it into a snack size Ziplok baggie and it will also help to keep the bottle from rattling around.

Yea I got a few of them from larue over the years although I don't think I've received one in a while although I don't order from them that often. I had one of the bottles in one of my ar's but managed to melt the bottle. I can't remember if it was in the pistol grip on the rifle or in the front grip. Generally I don't keep any in the rifles anymore.

jonconsiglio
06-02-12, 22:16
I keep a small bag in my grip with an unopened sample of FP-10 and one of that grease that came with Sigs (I forget the type, but there's a "b" in it somewhere). I also keep an allen and torque wrench that will fit my LaRue mounts, Bad-ASS selectors, Daniel Defense QD rail mounted socket and Gear Sector mount. Oh, also have some extra screws and selector detent and spring.

davidjinks
06-02-12, 22:36
Damn! How big is your grip??? :ph34r:

I keep a small bag in my grip with an unopened sample of FP-10 and one of that grease that came with Sigs (I forget the type, but there's a "b" in it somewhere). I also keep an allen and torque wrench that will fit my LaRue mounts, Bad-ASS selectors, Daniel Defense QD rail mounted socket and Gear Sector mount. Oh, also have some extra screws and selector detent and spring.

MistWolf
06-02-12, 22:37
If my years of shooting has taught me nothing else, I have learned this- No matter what you use to store oil in, it will find a way to leak

frogger
06-02-12, 22:48
Since this old thread of mine got revived, I thought I'd share what I ended up doing. I bought a 3mL dropper bottle here...

http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/packing/miniBottle-3.html

...and filled it with Break Free CLP. I then put it inside a small ziploc bag in case it leaked and I'm storing it in the storage compartment of my ACS-L stock along with a pair of AA Batteries (for my EOTech). I will use the grip storage for CR123 batteries for the light once I get one.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/frogger42/Misc/Magpul-ACS-Storage.jpg

I decided to go with the stock instead of the grip since it keeps the bottle further away from the heat of the FCG and less likely to melt.

colt191145lover
06-03-12, 23:12
My AR travles everywhere with me in my car /pickup so having everything I need with, or on the gun is important to me . I consider spare ammo (redi mag) ,spare batteries for my aimpoint (stored in larue mount) and oil (stored in MOE gip)to keep the gun running vital equipment.

I used a mini bottle of break free CLP that used to come in Phoenix Arms HP22 Kits . I found it in the bottom of the display case at the gun shop where I worked. Anyhoo I refiled it with Mobil 1 and just super glued it to the bottom of the MOE grip plug , works great and it doesent rattle anymore:D

P.S. after 2 years of use it hasent leaked!!! yet

frogger
06-04-12, 01:28
My AR travles everywhere with me in my car /pickup so having everything I need with, or on the gun is important to me . I consider spare ammo (redi mag) ,spare batteries for my aimpoint (stored in larue mount) and oil (stored in MOE gip)to keep the gun running vital equipment.

I used a mini bottle of break free CLP that used to come in Phoenix Arms HP22 Kits . I found it in the bottom of the display case at the gun shop where I worked. Anyhoo I refiled it with Mobil 1 and just super glued it to the bottom of the MOE grip plug , works great and it doesent rattle anymore:D

P.S. after 2 years of use it hasent leaked!!! yet

So the gun oil bottle that came with the Phoenix Arms is quality? That's ironic. It is probably worth more than the gun. :dance3:

darwing31
06-04-12, 14:05
If you are still looking for a bottle. Search electronic cigarette stores. They tend to have a variety of bottle sizes that may suit you needs. 3ml,5ml, etc

http://www.ecigexpress.com/diy-supplies-empty-bottles-c-43_44

I keep frog lube in the 10ml bottles in my small cleaning kit.

SteveS
06-05-12, 20:04
Considering the most important maintenance for an AR is keeping it lubed I would store oil with the AR.