PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we see more Sully stocks?

TOrrock
01-07-08, 22:38
I'm wondering what people's honest opinion on the Sully stock is. It seems pretty comfortable to me and I like the length of pull, but I don't see many people whom I consider RKI's using them on their carbines, and I'm wondering why.

I realize they're heavier than a stock 4 or 6 position retractable, but they seem far, far sturdier.

Edjumacate me?

Thanks in advance.

LOKNLOD
01-08-08, 00:20
Price. $120 is a lot of money for a simple fixed stock, (http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-Sully-Stocks/Categories) when you can get a basic VLTOR stock kit for $150. (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=acbk-2)

DocGKR
01-08-08, 00:39
If you need a short fixed stock, the Sully is the best one available, once a slot is cut for the sling. However, I infinitely prefer an adjustable stock, like the Magpul CTR, on my carbines to allow adjustment for various shooting positions and body armor.

rhino
01-08-08, 03:49
In my case, the Sully Stock didn't exist when I needed a shorter fixed stock (during the "ban"). I ended up with one of those "stubby" entry stocks like RRA and Bushmaster sell, plus a one inch spacer with a really nice ambi sling swivel (I think from Knight's Armament). It's a perfect setup for my truck gun, so I have no need to change it.

If I were doing the same thing today, I'd look at the Sully stock (and the ACE short skeleton stock) carefully, but the price might push me back to the stubby entry stock.

Jay Cunningham
01-08-08, 04:22
I have one on a Colt Sporter lightweight - I suppose this was my "KISS Carbine" experiment. :rolleyes:

It would be a better stock if it had multiple sling attachment points built into it, and also if it had a "grippier" end to it.

It's a good stock, but I like my VLTOR better.

ST911
01-08-08, 10:08
Where a fixed stock is needed, it's recommended, but it's due for revision.

Solid stock, well built. As noted, needs a sling slot or alternative fixture(s) for the newer designs.

Downside: Price-point, non-adjustable, heavy.

Harv
01-08-08, 17:44
I like a stock that I can adjust... it's that simple.....and for all the guys who always tell me that they only keep ther adjustable stock in one position.... good for you.. I don't......:p

USAFCATM
01-08-08, 20:03
I guess the biggest reason I haven't looked at them is the price followed by the non-adjustable length. There are times I like a longer stock such as warmer weather or more precise shooting and then there are times I like a very short stock for colder weather with heavy clothes, body armor or when clearing buildings. The Sully stock may very well be an excellent stock but it's not for me.

toddackerman
01-08-08, 21:44
In my case, the Sully Stock didn't exist when I needed a shorter fixed stock (during the "ban"). I ended up with one of those "stubby" entry stocks like RRA and Bushmaster sell, plus a one inch spacer with a really nice ambi sling swivel (I think from Knight's Armament). It's a perfect setup for my truck gun, so I have no need to change it.

If I were doing the same thing today, I'd look at the Sully stock (and the ACE short skeleton stock) carefully, but the price might push me back to the stubby entry stock.

I agree with both points, and the fact that they are pricey for a fixed stock....but I do like them!

TOrrock
01-08-08, 23:35
Thanks gents, I appreciate the input and the replies, that's what I was looking for.

I have one, I didn't pay near asking price, and since I run all my collapseable stocks at the 1st position, it's comfortable for me. I do like the "bullet-proof" aspect of it.

But I agree, the LMT, Vltor, and Magpul stocks are more versatile.

John Hearne
01-09-08, 10:02
I came really close to buying a Sully stock for my rifle as I liked its length and didn't see the need for adjustment. Then, we got hard plates at work. Suddenly, even the "one notch out" length was too long for me. I realized that I needed an adjustable in case I had time to wear the plates. I ended up with a Magpul CTR and think it is a great solution.

markm
01-09-08, 10:12
The Sully stock is ugly as hell!

(someone had to say it since all the legitimate points have already been covered :D)

I favor a fixed stock if you can get away with it because you get the better reliability of a rifle buffer system... especially on carbonated length gas systems.

KevinB
01-09-08, 10:41
If you need a short fixed stock, the Sully is the best one available, once a slot is cut for the sling. However, I infinitely prefer an adjustable stock, like the Magpul CTR, on my carbines to allow adjustment for various shooting positions and body armor.

+1

I'm liking the VLTOR E-Mod more and more as well.

I have no use for a fixed stock.

Submariner
01-09-08, 12:34
The Sully stock met the need for a shorter fixed-length stock that was legal under the '94 Assault Weapons Ban (no collapsible stocks.)

No longer needed.

sff70
01-09-08, 13:26
A collapsible stock allows me to fit my carbine into an already crowded patrol car (Impala - POS), and allows for variances in armor and physical build between users.

While it's an improvement over the A1/A2 stocks, one size does not fit all.

SLR15
01-11-08, 23:42
We starting hand building the Sully Stock about a decade ago. It was designed out of necessity for our SWAT Operators as we needed a shorted stock than the A1 and A2, and something more durable than collapsibles as we kept breaking them on doorways and exiting the vans and suburbans on rapid deployment. We went to molding them once demand got too busy to keep up with hand made. The molds allowed us to make a solid stock that was tough, and allowed people to attach and carve sling mounts just about anywhere they wanted it. Demand today for them keeps us extremely busy. Once we free up some of the CNC machines from other projects that we are about to release, we will have several other stocks designs available.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-12-08, 10:37
I have one on my AR rifle and it is excellent. My rifle started out with the standard M4 stock, I went to an A1, and then finally got a Sully.My personal philosophy is basically to make my rifle as simple and sturdy as possible. The Sully stock puts and end to "adjustment-its"--you just shoulder it and shoot. The short overall length means it will be short enough for all but the shortest/bulkiest wearing armor. As indicated above, this stock will be much sturdier than most, if not all adjustable stocks.

It is a good solution for those of us who don't really need adjustable lengths. If you are one of those few who really needs to be able to adjust your stock length on the fly, then there are better solutions out there.