PDA

View Full Version : First look, Storm Lake Fitted barrels for S&W M&P!

Pages : [1] 2

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 10:15
As many of you know, we have been looking for a source for oversized barrels for the M&P to get better accuracy out of their 9mm's. We contacted Storm Lake (http://www.storm-lake.com/index) and asked them if they have ever made an oversized barrel. They informed us they had (for the S&W Shooting Team).

Fast forward, we received our first sampling of barrels (3 full size and 3 compact with 5" barrels coming). As of last night, we fitted one of these barrels to my personal FS M&P.

I will be testing these barrels in my Ransom rest later on and will report back what I find. Until then, here are some pics of the first fitted barrel.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/MP_Match_Barrel1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/MP_Match_Barrel.jpg

djegators
05-02-12, 10:32
How much fitting is required, and I assume this requires a qualified gunsmith?

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 10:41
How much fitting is required, and I assume this requires a qualified gunsmith?

Correct. These are not like the Barsto semi-fit barrels where you might have to take a hair off in order to get them to fit. We you had to cut width, length and chamber depth.

Once up and running we will offer installation on customers M&P's (only have to send the slide in).

C4

sewvacman
05-02-12, 10:50
I see they are running $200, is that going to include the gunsmithing, or will that be extra, and if so, how much?

djegators
05-02-12, 10:51
I assume you will make this an option when purchasing a M&P from you as well?

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 10:54
I see they are running $200, is that going to include the gunsmithing, or will that be extra, and if so, how much?

Included!

C4

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 10:55
I assume you will make this an option when purchasing a M&P from you as well?

Yes. You will have a pull down option for a pistol with a fitted barrel.

C4

mizer67
05-02-12, 11:19
Included!

C4

Now that's interesting!

djegators
05-02-12, 11:30
Yes. You will have a pull down option for a pistol with a fitted barrel.

C4

Very nice...add that along with the APEX and the polish job, looks like you can have one heck of a pistol.

mallowpufft
05-02-12, 11:31
I'm looking forward to seeing the results. And sending my slide in...

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

JHC
05-02-12, 11:32
Included!

C4

Nice. It'll be fun to see how it groups. Can't wait to see the outcome.

Yojimbo
05-02-12, 11:36
That looks good but it sure raises the cost of getting a M&P 9 shooting right...

IMHO, S&W should send everyone affected properly made barrels.

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 11:40
Very nice...add that along with the APEX and the polish job, looks like you can have one heck of a pistol.

Yep.

C4

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 11:50
That looks good but it sure raises the cost of getting a M&P 9 shooting right...

IMHO, S&W should send everyone affected properly made barrels.

I guess so, but if you look at the total cost VS the competition, it actually gives you a better gun.

For instance, a GEN 4 Glock is $550. Assuming that it runs (big assumption there), it will typically shoot 3-4" groups. The M&P can be had for around $450. Add a $200 dollar (fitted) barrel and now you have a gun that will shoot 1.0-2.5" groups. In order to get my Glock to do that, I will have to buy a fitted barrel as well (which is going to be $200-$250). So now the Gen 4 Glock is $750-$800 to shoot the same groups.

In regards to the S&W barrels not being made "properly" I don't know that I would agree with that. While SOME of them don't shoot as well as a SMALL percentage of us would like, they have never lost a LE contract because of accuracy. Since LE contracts is what it is all about, we have to keep that in mind.

For the record, I install Barsto barrels (gunsmith fit) into my Glock's as they do not shoot well enough for my tastes.

YMMV.

C4

tx1021
05-02-12, 12:39
Very nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing the accuracy reports.

Shawn.L
05-02-12, 12:40
Im interested to see the groups these print out of a few example guns.

Kevin P
05-02-12, 12:45
Grant I sent a PM

mkmckinley
05-02-12, 12:49
If the Storm Lake shoots well I'll be in for at least one. Grant thanks for getting this going.

High Altitude
05-02-12, 13:05
I would like to see one of these barrels fitted to a M&P9 with the early unlocking issue to see how much improvement it makes.

My M&P9 actually shoots pretty decent groups at 25 yds, about 4" and to POA. I have no doubt that a fitted barrel would make the groups tighter but what about a pistol that is unlocking early and shooting many inches high with 8-10" groups. Will this barrel take a pistol like that and get it shooting tight groups and bring the group placement down?

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 13:34
I would like to see one of these barrels fitted to a M&P9 with the early unlocking issue to see how much improvement it makes.

My M&P9 actually shoots pretty decent groups at 25 yds, about 4" and to POA. I have no doubt that a fitted barrel would make the groups tighter but what about a pistol that is unlocking early and shooting many inches high with 8-10" groups. Will this barrel take a pistol like that and get it shooting tight groups and bring the group placement down?

Yes and since my personal M&P shoots 6-7" groups, I will be testing this theory out.

C4

sewvacman
05-02-12, 13:37
Included!

C4

Friggin' sweet! Get out there and go shooting already, let's get some feedback.

alvincullumyork
05-02-12, 13:40
With a tighter barrel is reliability going to suffer?

That would make me cry a little :cray:

High Altitude
05-02-12, 13:51
Yes and since my personal M&P shoots 6-7" groups, I will be testing this theory out.

C4

Excellent, can't wait to see the range results.

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 13:58
With a tighter barrel is reliability going to suffer?

That would make me cry a little :cray:

Yes (assuming that you fit the barrel so that it did not move freely). I do not fit them that tight.

C4

JHC
05-02-12, 14:41
I hope its a hit for the M&P shooters that want more precision. But our 8 reliable Gen 4's will all do better than 3-4".

1.5" at 25 yds from this Gen 4 G17. FDE Gen 3 G17 just did 2" with 124 grain GDs. But it would still cost $159 to drop in a Wilson barrel (see TigerSwan write ups) or much much more for a fitted BarSto.

This $200 package incl fitting is a terrific value.

High Altitude
05-02-12, 15:23
I hope its a hit for the M&P shooters that want more precision. But our 8 reliable Gen 4's will all do better than 3-4".

1.5" at 25 yds from this Gen 4 G17. FDE Gen 3 G17 just did 2" with 124 grain GDs. But it would still cost $159 to drop a Wilson barrel (see TigerSwan write ups) or much much more for a fitted BarSto.

The gen4 are definitely more accurate. My gen4 19 is a tack driver. Most accurate glock I have ever owned.

Put on some sights, polish up the trigger or dop in a connector and it is good to go. Still the best value out there.

goteron
05-02-12, 15:31
Grant, is this different than the Barsto/Apex barrel that was aimed at the early unlocking issues?

Will you be offering threaded versions? Melonited?

Thanks

WillBrink
05-02-12, 15:34

For the $$, they are a good gun right out of the box and worth it. Add a few $ more, and they are a GREAT gun for the $$$ and worth it. :dance3:

WillBrink
05-02-12, 15:35

This. :cool:

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 15:46
Grant, is this different than the Barsto/Apex barrel that was aimed at the early unlocking issues?

Will you be offering threaded versions? Melonited?

Thanks

Yes, different as the barrel is made by Storm Lake.

We might have them Melonited (as the facility that does S&W's barrels is right up the road from us.)

We will offer a threaded version as well.

C4

goteron
05-02-12, 15:59
Sorry, poorly worded, does this barrel have the new timing geometry that Apex was working on?

Mate
05-02-12, 16:11
Will be purchasing a threaded barrel as soon as you get them in.

Thanks for the update Grant.

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 16:41
Sorry, poorly worded, does this barrel have the new timing geometry that Apex was working on?

No, but I think that has more to do with the Block than anything.

C4

dsa
05-02-12, 18:54
Grant, will you offer these for sale w/o being fitted by you?

C4IGrant
05-02-12, 20:08
Grant, will you offer these for sale w/o being fitted by you?

No (as SL doesn't want people that don't know what they are doing screwing up the job and then calling them to help).

C4

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-02-12, 20:54
No (as SL doesn't want people that don't know what they are doing screwing up the job and then calling them to help).

C4

So they've heard of me...

Still trying to figure out the best way to get a 5 inch model with a TS, this new barrel and the FSS kit.

dirt_diver
05-02-12, 21:08

Still trying to figure out the best way to get a 5 inch model with a TS, this new barrel and the FSS kit.

That would be a sweet setup!

Biggy
05-02-12, 22:27
Will these barrels have a standard size 9mm chamber like the factory M&P barrels or a tighter match chamber ? I like all the accuracy I can get in a self defense pistol or rifle but not at the expense of sacrificing any reliability.

lcfuller
05-03-12, 09:00
Grant this is great news and a great value. I look forward to the results of your testing. If your testing goes well, my slide will be on the way to you.

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 09:03

We have 5" barrels on order and if you can find a 5" gun, we will fit it for you. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 09:09
Will these barrels have a standard size 9mm chamber like the factory M&P barrels or a tighter match chamber ? I like all the accuracy I can get in a self defense pistol or rifle but not at the expense of sacrificing any reliability.

All barrels will be reliable.

C4

beastfrog
05-03-12, 09:36
We had to cut width, length and chamber depth.

So just to be clear are you changing only internal chamber dimensions or are you changing external dimensions as well? If external, which surfaces?

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 09:51
So just to be clear are you changing only internal chamber dimensions or are you changing external dimensions as well? If external, which surfaces?

Mostly the external, but if the case is not sitting flush to below the hood, the chamber has to be reamed to adjust. This is standard practice on ANY fitted barrel (no matter the gun).

C4

beastfrog
05-03-12, 09:53
Thanks.

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 16:49
Got some time to shoot at my range today. Didn't have time to get the Ransom Rest out so just free handed it off a table. The wind was kicking as well (blew my target over twice with bricks on it). So not the optimal day to test accuracy.

Ammo used was Speer Lawmen 147 Subsonic and Winchester Ranger 124gr +P.

As is seen with factory M&P barrels, there can be wild POI shift between different pressures and bullet weights. That was not the case here. All shot in the exact same spot.

We shot multiple 5rd strings of each ammo @ 25yds to see what it would do. Typical results were 1.25-1.5" groups! My guess is that if the wind would have quit and my target would have stopped rocking back and forth, I would have been able to produce a 1" group.
With that being said, I should note that I am NOT a bulls eye shooter. In fact, I do not consider myself all that great of a pistol shooter so the groups below really impressed me!

C4

Speer Lawman 147 Sub
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/LWM147gr.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/LWM147gr1.jpg

Winchester Ranger 124gr + P
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/RNGR124P.jpg

Below is a 7rd group I shot at 10yds standing in about 10 seconds. The target is a 2" circle.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/LWM147_M&P.jpg

Shawn.L
05-03-12, 17:01
very impressive

what size groups did this particular gun shoot before in the sameish conditions ?

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 17:01
very impressive

what size groups did this particular gun shoot before in the sameish conditions ?

Oh about 7-8" from a Ransom Rest and no wind.

C4

G34Shooter
05-03-12, 17:05
Impressive!

BobM
05-03-12, 17:18
Very interesting. I'll probably be in for at least one.

ggp2jz
05-03-12, 17:26
Any chance for a threaded barrel version?

dsa
05-03-12, 17:35
Those groups look great! I can't wait for the 5" barrels to arrive. I have a feeling you are going to be pretty busy.

JHC
05-03-12, 17:38
That'll do. That'll do nicely!

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 17:40
Any chance for a threaded barrel version?

Yes.

C4

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 17:45
That'll do. That'll do nicely!

Thanks. I also took a shot at a 12X14" steel target at 304 feet with a 115gr UMC ball round. I hit it! This is NOT something I have ever been able to do with my 9mm M&P before. :D

C4

tommyk42
05-03-12, 18:55
Looks good! Where and when can I sign up for this barrel?

gregshin
05-03-12, 19:00
will there be a 5inch version of the barrel available to us longslide owners?

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 19:09
Looks good! Where and when can I sign up for this barrel?

You can e-mail us with what you are interested in.

C4

beastfrog
05-03-12, 19:28
Sounds encouraging, can you please try it with some Winchester White Box or Federal Champion or Remington UMC. Notoriously common and sometimes wildly inaccurate loads. :)

C4IGrant
05-03-12, 19:30
Sounds encouraging, can you please try it with some Winchester White Box or Federal Champion or Remington UMC. Notoriously common and sometimes wildly inaccurate loads. :)

I try and stay away from that ammo (sorry). I do think that I have some Magtech and S&B though.

C4

Shawn.L
05-03-12, 19:58
Oh about 7-8" from a Ransom Rest and no wind.

C4

damn

something tells me your going to sell a lot of these.

Omega Man
05-03-12, 20:17
Hmm. You got me thinkin Grant.

mig1nc
05-03-12, 21:16
Any chance for an extended, threaded, conversion barrel?

Think I might pick up a suppressor in the next year or two and it would be great to swap it between my M&P40 (with a 9mm conversion) and my PPQ.

CoryCop25
05-03-12, 21:48
Coincidentally, I shot this group about 4 hours before this thread was started.
I purchased an M&P 9MM back in August and finally put all the Apex goodies and new sights on it and took it out for a test run.
Close in, I was making one ragged hole. I loaded it up with Winchester 124gr +P bonded and shot this group while resting my arms on a barrel at 25 yards.
I don't claim to be a super duper pistol shooter and the hits are good in a SD/HD situation any day but this barrel issue now has me thinking....

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/Guns/40de75b6.jpg

ggp2jz
05-03-12, 22:05
I know this may sound stupid but will it only come in silver or will a black finish be available as well

High Altitude
05-04-12, 01:32
At least you don't have the early unlocking issue.

Coincidentally, I shot this group about 4 hours before this thread was started.
I purchased an M&P 9MM back in August and finally put all the Apex goodies and new sights on it and took it out for a test run.
Close in, I was making one ragged hole. I loaded it up with Winchester 124gr +P bonded and shot this group while resting my arms on a barrel at 25 yards.
I don't claim to be a super duper pistol shooter and the hits are good in a SD/HD situation any day but this barrel issue now has me thinking....

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/Guns/40de75b6.jpg

Kevin P
05-04-12, 02:08
Grant already covered this.

I know this may sound stupid but will it only come in silver or will a black finish be available as well

Yes, different as the barrel is made by Storm Lake.

We might have them Melonited (as the facility that does S&W's barrels is right up the road from us.)

We will offer a threaded version as well.

C4

bsem
05-04-12, 02:23
At least you don't have the early unlocking issue.

His does one know if they have this issue?

skeet25
05-04-12, 02:57
Will the Storm Lake barrel be available for the M&P 45? If so, what is the time frame?

C4IGrant
05-04-12, 07:46

SS. We may offer a Melonite option, but doubtful.

C4

C4IGrant
05-04-12, 07:47
His does one know if they have this issue?

Shoot groups at 25yds.

C4

C4IGrant
05-04-12, 07:48
Will the Storm Lake barrel be available for the M&P 45? If so, what is the time frame?

No need as the 45's are accurate.

C4

bsem
05-04-12, 08:27
Shoot groups at 25yds.

C4

Thanks. What specifically will the indicators be? Will the groups typically group higher up or more to one direction? I read what it was a while ago, but can't remember where I read it.

C4IGrant
05-04-12, 09:28
Thanks. What specifically will the indicators be? Will the groups typically group higher up or more to one direction? I read what it was a while ago, but can't remember where I read it.

Poor groupings in general. If you get a good 9mm M&P, the best group you could ever hope for is 2 inches at 25yds. Normally, the good ones shoot around 4-5 inches though.

C4

High Altitude
05-04-12, 13:04

Very large erratic groups and some pistols POI is very high compared to POA at 25yds.

Most M&P9 that I have seen shoot 4-8" groups at 25yds off a rest, which IMO is terrible.

Aftermarket barrels will sell well for this platform.

orionz06
05-04-12, 20:22
Got some time to shoot at my range today. Didn't have time to get the Ransom Rest out so just free handed it off a table. The wind was kicking as well (blew my target over twice with bricks on it). So not the optimal day to test accuracy.

Ammo used was Speer Lawmen 147 Subsonic and Winchester Ranger 124gr +P.

As is seen with factory M&P barrels, there can be wild POI shift between different pressures and bullet weights. That was not the case here. All shot in the exact same spot.

We shot multiple 5rd strings of each ammo @ 25yds to see what it would do. Typical results were 1.25-1.5" groups! My guess is that if the wind would have quit and my target would have stopped rocking back and forth, I would have been able to produce a 1" group.
With that being said, I should note that I am NOT a bulls eye shooter. In fact, I do not consider myself all that great of a pistol shooter so the groups below really impressed me!

C4

Speer Lawman 147 Sub
[img]http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/LWM147gr.jpg[/i mg]

[img]http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/LWM147gr1.jpg[/i mg]

Winchester Ranger 124gr + P
[img]http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/RNGR124P.jpg[/im g]

Below is a 7rd group I shot at 10yds standing in about 10 seconds. The target is a 2" circle.

Color me impressed, and an interested party.

TehLlama
05-04-12, 20:27
Poor groupings in general. If you get a good 9mm M&P, the best group you could ever hope for is 2 inches at 25yds. Normally, the good ones shoot around 4-5 inches though.

C4

This is where my two are - 2" is plenty good for me, but for those experiencing less than desirable accuracy, the SL barrels should be a night and day improvement.

trinydex
05-05-12, 05:16
Impressive results

cdunn
05-06-12, 13:24
Grant,are these going to be an in stock item?what do you think the turn around time will be?

panzerr
05-06-12, 16:41
Impressive results

Very impressive. My $3000+ Wilson Combat 1911s are only guaranteed to 1.5 inches at 25 yards.

I want one of these barrels for my M&P.

C4IGrant
05-06-12, 18:01
Grant,are these going to be an in stock item?what do you think the turn around time will be?

We will be ordering them once we are satisified that we can get these to shoot well (consistently).

C4

Bill Lance
05-06-12, 19:28
Anxious in NC.

I will definitely be in for one or three when they are available!!

Thanks for your work in bringing this to fruition, Grant.

C4IGrant
05-07-12, 08:38
Anxious in NC.

I will definitely be in for one or three when they are available!!

Thanks for your work in bringing this to fruition, Grant.

You are welcome!

C4

bsem
05-11-12, 09:19
I'm interested. Probably for a threaded one, for the cool factor.

C4IGrant
05-12-12, 19:56
The wind was about zero today so I thought it was a good time to shoot some 115gr. Ammo used was PPU (PRVI) and S&B.

Off the bench (supported), I managed to shoot several groups where all 4 of the 5 rounds were all touching! Just amazing. One group basically measured UNDER 1/2 inch!

For fun, I shot a 5 ground group un-supported. I shot 4 bullets in a tight little group. Don't know if it was a flinch, bad round or whatever, but if it was't for this one round, I would have shot a 1" group. :cray:

I now strongly believe that with good ammo, one can get half inch to 1 inch groups out these barrels (if they do their part!).

Pics to follow on Monday.

C4

orionz06
05-12-12, 19:57
So what you are saying is you are ready for some third party testers, right? ;););)

C4IGrant
05-12-12, 20:02
So what you are saying is you are ready for some third party testers, right? ;););)

Just about. Am fitting four barrels onto other customers guns so we shall see what happens.

I placed a large order for FS 9mm barrels with SL (for regular and threaded barrels).

C4

JHC
05-12-12, 20:37
The wind was about zero today so I thought it was a good time to shoot some 115gr. Ammo used was PPU (PRVI) and S&B.

Off the bench (supported), I managed to shoot several groups where all 4 of the 5 rounds were all touching! Just amazing. One group basically measured UNDER 1/2 inch!

For fun, I shot a 5 ground group un-supported. I shot 4 bullets in a tight little group. Don't know if it was a flinch, bad round or whatever, but if it was't for this one round, I would have shot a 1" group. :cray:

I now strongly believe that with good ammo, one can get half inch to 1 inch groups out these barrels (if they do their part!).

Pics to follow on Monday.

C4

So let's say you could consistently then shoot 2 or 3" groups with that fitted barrel offhand. I think that's a fair assumption. That would be superb. Pretty much world class eh? And yet I think you've prob posted what you can typically get with the factory set up. (not just of an M&P but anything). I can't recall but it was prob about twice that right?

What I'm getting at is a decent to excellent shooter gains from a more accurate pistol. Worth it and value is up to the individual but it can't be denied. I can't buy into the arguments that "unless you can outshoot your factory barrel, you don't need custom". It just doesn't work that way.

This is really fascinating. Thanks.

Therealkoop
05-12-12, 21:15
I know workload will increase over time, but what would you say the turnaround time would be for work like this? I really want one for my 5" M&P 9l yesterday.

Maybe Ill just have to get another M&P to shoot in the mean time ;)

karmapolice
05-13-12, 16:02
I'm going to have to order one of these for my current mp, do you still offer stippling on mps if I order one fron you. I need to order another full size 9 with this new barrel fitted already, trijicon hd ns, and a stipple job.

C4IGrant
05-13-12, 16:49
I know workload will increase over time, but what would you say the turnaround time would be for work like this? I really want one for my 5" M&P 9l yesterday.

Maybe Ill just have to get another M&P to shoot in the mean time ;)

We will try for 1-2 week turn arounds.

C4

jpmuscle
05-13-12, 20:24
This is just more incentive to get on the M&P Bandwagon

dammit.... :D

C4IGrant
05-14-12, 08:59
Gotta have proof right? So here are some groups shot with 115 PPU (PRVI).

Again no wind today (which makes a huge difference).

C4

Supported 25yds
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/PPU115.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/PPU115a.jpg

Un-supported 25yds (4rd group measured 1" with the 5th round opening the group up to 2.5").
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/PPU115_US.jpg

orionz06
05-14-12, 09:01
50? You know you wanna...

C4IGrant
05-14-12, 09:05

On the list. Since I am also ringing a 12X14 steel IPDA target with ease at 100yds I might even shoot for group at this distance! :jester:

C4

WillBrink
05-14-12, 11:12
Gotta have proof right? So here are some groups shot with 115 PPU (PRVI).

Again no wind today (which makes a huge difference).

Even at 25 yards with bullets that heavy Grant?

C4IGrant
05-14-12, 12:31
Even at 25 yards with bullets that heavy Grant?

Yes for no other reason that the target was flopping around. So it was like trying to hit a 2" circle at 25yds while it was moving. I simply lack the ability to do this. :D

C4

PPGMD
05-14-12, 17:10

I'd be interested, NRA Action pistol season is ending and I am again looking at going to a M&P.

Atlanta Arms IN9HP is excellent choice.

mikeith
05-14-12, 17:14
I cannot wait for this! I'm on the email waiting list!

Thanks for all the r&d Grant! Looks like this is really turning out!

C4IGrant
05-14-12, 17:26
Completed the fitting of a second barrel. Will shoot for group shortly and see if we can replicate our findings with the first barrel.

C4

High Altitude
05-14-12, 18:32
Good stuff.

Can't wait to see how other pistols shoot.

jmp45
05-16-12, 13:10
Having an advantage of being close to G&R, I wasted no time to get my M&P in on this offering. I've always had an issue with accuracy being both this auto and me and my old eyes. Grant did a smack up job on this going to attempt to get to the range tomorrow to give it a run.

Out of several stock m&p barrel specimens measured, the (hood?) averages were around and very close to about 1.219, mine came in the shortest in the group at about 1.215. Not that tight. That might explain some of the misses / big groups at 25 yards. Have to say, this storm barrel locks up tight.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/gr_storm_01.jpg

bobsolla
05-16-12, 13:17
i would only guess these are great since the regular drop in stormlake 9mm full size ported barrel i have works great!i`ve had a stormlake ported barrel and will attest to their quality!they are precision machined and not one issue!good luck to all sounds like a really good thing here.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-16-12, 16:25
Something I am very interested in as well. These look to be very promising.

Watrdawg
05-16-12, 16:45
Definitely interested myself! Accuracy issues are the only reason I haven't gotten one in 9mm yet.

mtdawg169
05-17-12, 12:05
Having an advantage of being close to G&R, I wasted no time to get my M&P in on this offering. I've always had an issue with accuracy being both this auto and me and my old eyes. Grant did a smack up job on this going to attempt to get to the range tomorrow to give it a run.

Out of several stock m&p barrel specimens measured, the (hood?) averages were around and very close to about 1.219, mine came in the shortest in the group at about 1.215. Not that tight. That might explain some of the misses / big groups at 25 yards. Have to say, this storm barrel locks up tight.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/gr_storm_01.jpg

I'm jealous. :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jmp45
05-17-12, 13:05
Ok, I suck.. First groups were close but my old bad habits began to intervene. It seemed to be hitting low to the left, but a very good group for me. Winchester white box and federal 115 gr., the cheap stuff. These were the first five shots at 25 yds.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/gr_storm_03.jpg

A local police dept was doing training at the range and I asked one of the officers more proficient than me to test. This time low to right but crazy good group, 3 rds at 25 yds. Windage might be fine, just need to compensate for elevation or change sights. He did comment on the trigger work Grant had done on it, he was impressed. No issues with the barrel, just the shooter..;)

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/gr_storm_04.jpg

C4IGrant
05-17-12, 13:19
Those groups are excellent! Depending on your hold and such, your sights might need to be drifted one way or another (hard to say for certain).

C4

Chayse
05-18-12, 14:24
Any testers in the 5" guns yet? Probably not yet since it looks like you only have two units running at the moment.

C4IGrant
05-18-12, 15:36
Any testers in the 5" guns yet? Probably not yet since it looks like you only have two units running at the moment.

Don't have the barrels yet, but when we do get them, will need 3 beta testers for certain.

C4

mtdawg169
05-18-12, 16:04
Don't have the barrels yet, but when we do get them, will need 3 beta testers for certain.

C4

I'd be happy to test one of those 4.25" barrels for you Grant! ;)

M_Rapp
05-18-12, 16:18

C4

I have a 9L purchased from you. Let me know when you need it. :)

okie john
05-18-12, 16:55

C4

Let me know when the Glock 17 barrels come in. You'll need beta testers for them, too.

Okie John

mizer67
05-18-12, 18:28

C4

Sign me up for a 4.25".

My 9mm is virtually unusable beyond 15 yards.

PPGMD
05-18-12, 18:40

Not in your area, but I am a Bianchi match shooter, and would be happy to try one of the barrels on my 5" Pro 9mm. I even have match ammo to test it with it.

My off season starts after memorial day weekend, so it's when I consider equipment changes.

CoryCop25
05-18-12, 19:15
Put me down for a full sized threaded when they come in...

Nick S
05-19-12, 00:24
Ill test a 5" for you. Let me know!

C4IGrant
05-19-12, 07:04
Thanks guys.

C4

huan
05-20-12, 12:29
sign me up for a FS as well.

Chayse
05-21-12, 13:02
I've got a 9 Pro 5" for testing as well.

williejc
05-21-12, 23:47
Now I'll jump on the wagon. With Grant's custom offering we'll have access to a target pistol that can easily function as a reliable service arm. And, it'll come with built-in pride of ownership.

Are the bores highly polished?:)

mizer67
05-29-12, 16:09

C4

Grant, what's the timing on delivery of these barrels?

C4IGrant
05-29-12, 20:52
Grant, what's the timing on delivery of these barrels?

We submitted a large order to SL and are just waiting for them to show up.

C4

huan
05-29-12, 20:53

C4

can I place my order now? :p

C4IGrant
05-29-12, 21:02
can I place my order now? :p

You can send us an e-mail with what you want.

C4

mikeith
05-29-12, 22:15
You can send us an e-mail with what you want.

C4

i'm on the email list already :D

i'll be patiently waiting to send you my slide! btw do you have any heinie sights in stock you could throw on there also?

C4IGrant
05-30-12, 08:19
i'm on the email list already :D

i'll be patiently waiting to send you my slide! btw do you have any heinie sights in stock you could throw on there also?

We no longer sell those sights (sorry).

C4

C4IGrant
05-30-12, 09:45
I needed to test fire my M&P (as I changed out some trigger components) so I thought it would be fun to take a LOOONG shot at my 18X11" steel target sitting at the bottom of my range. Ammo used, UMC 115gr. First shot was a hit! Hmmm, wonder how far that shot was. Got the laser range finder out. 142yds!

This is the longest shot I have ever taken with a pistol (and hit anything this small). :D

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/142yd_Target.jpg

Gary1911A1
05-30-12, 10:02
I needed to test fire my M&P (as I changed out some trigger components) so I thought it would be fun to take a LOOONG shot at my 18X11" steel target sitting at the bottom of my range. Ammo used, UMC 115gr. First shot was a hit! Hmmm, wonder how far that shot was. Got the laser range finder out. 142yds!

This is the longest shot I have ever taken with a pistol (and hit anything this small). :D

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/142yd_Target.jpg

Good shooting! Larry and Ken would like that shot.:)

C4IGrant
05-30-12, 11:51
Good shooting! Larry and Ken would like that shot.:)

Ya, they like long shots because it shows just how well you can align the sights and manipulate the trigger straight to the rear.

Forgot to mention that the shot was taken un-supported.

C4

AZ-Renegade
05-31-12, 13:59
My favorite way to end a range session is making a shot like that unsupported.

When the last round in your magazine connects it really makes you feel good about your skills.

mizer67
06-01-12, 12:56

C4

What's Storm Lake's quoted lead time for your large order?

C4IGrant
06-01-12, 13:00
What's Storm Lake's quoted lead time for your large order?

Waiting on the estimate now.

C4

Skunk Pilot
06-01-12, 23:51
I know someone asked this already, but are there any plans for an oversized 9mm conversion barrel for the M&P40's? I assume it'd just be the full size ones for now if you do it.

As in my other posts in M&P9 accuracy threads I was thinking of just fixing the issue with a conversion barrel. However getting 1" and under groups with the M&P9, that's more appealing to me, even though I would love a 2 in 1 gun. Now if you were getting 2" groups with these barrels then I'd just opt for the conversion one.

We all have an "opportunity cost" structure in our heads and having under 1" would just be damn cool. Even if it's $100 more than a stock Glock Gen4, which some get 2" and most usually 3" - 3.25" IIRC.

Grant (or anyone else that reloads), since you seem to be very, very knowledgeable. I've been trying to find out if 40 minor actually has less recoil than 9 minor. Or for that matter sub minor ones that are at the same or very close to the same Power Factor. I've been looking in BrianEnos, GlockTalk..... and haven't found a definitive answer yet, of course might need to use better search foo.

This will make my decision if I go with a .40 handgun or not. I probably should just post it in it's own thread here and on Brian Enos forum.

Thanks.

C4IGrant
06-02-12, 14:39
I know someone asked this already, but are there any plans for an oversized 9mm conversion barrel for the M&P40's? I assume it'd just be the full size ones for now if you do it.

As in my other posts in M&P9 accuracy threads I was thinking of just fixing the issue with a conversion barrel. However getting 1" and under groups with the M&P9, that's more appealing to me, even though I would love a 2 in 1 gun. Now if you were getting 2" groups with these barrels then I'd just opt for the conversion one.

We all have an "opportunity cost" structure in our heads and having under 1" would just be damn cool. Even if it's $100 more than a stock Glock Gen4, which some get 2" and most usually 3" - 3.25" IIRC.

Grant (or anyone else that reloads), since you seem to be very, very knowledgeable. I've been trying to find out if 40 minor actually has less recoil than 9 minor. Or for that matter sub minor ones that are at the same or very close to the same Power Factor. I've been looking in BrianEnos, GlockTalk..... and haven't found a definitive answer yet, of course might need to use better search foo.

This will make my decision if I go with a .40 handgun or not. I probably should just post it in it's own thread here and on Brian Enos forum.

Thanks.

We will most likely offer 9mm conversion barrels, but this will be down the road (as there just aren't that many people wanting to do this.

C4

C4IGrant
06-02-12, 14:40
Shot this group at 50yds today (supported). Group was about 2.5".

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/S&B/124N_50yds.jpg

JHC
06-02-12, 15:00

C4

Fuuuck. ;)

Evan_O
06-02-12, 17:12
Dayum Grant!

I haven't read through the entire thread so forgive me if it's been stated already, what type of pistol sights are you using? I'm not even sure I could see that black shoot n see with my sights at 50. 6 o'clock hold?

saddlerocker
06-02-12, 18:13
Awesome, hope this all works out.

Is the feed ramp basically the same as the stock barrel?
Twist rate is faster I assume?

jmp45
06-02-12, 19:01

Twist rate does look a little faster, feed ramp is about the same. Seems to be a little more material at the base of the ramp but the ramp surface is close if not the same as a stock barrel.

I checked the difference of the stock and G&R/Storm Lake barrels in the slide in a locked up position without the spring. With the stock barrel there was quite a bit of play or slop moving the barrel forward and backward. The GR barrel has just enough tolerance to lock up. It's tight, sorry, no way to measure the difference. Very happy with it. Grant did a fantastic job fitting this barrel. If there are any accuracy issues, it's me. I would like to install Randy's locking block upgrade to increase the dwell if / when that surfaces.

Stinx
06-03-12, 10:09
cant wait to order one

Delta One
06-03-12, 12:38
Very interested, will definitely be getting one for my 9.

mtdawg169
06-03-12, 17:07

C4

Jeez Grant! What sights are you running? RDS?

htomeheb
06-04-12, 07:37
Looks reaaaal promising. I bet those with M&P issues are breathing a sigh of relief.

C4IGrant
06-04-12, 08:36
Dayum Grant!

I haven't read through the entire thread so forgive me if it's been stated already, what type of pistol sights are you using? I'm not even sure I could see that black shoot n see with my sights at 50. 6 o'clock hold?

I am using an RMR.

I used a 6 hold to get the hits. The target was 5 inches.

Personally, I was kind of disapointed in my shooting (thought for sure I could shoot a 2" group).

C4

C4IGrant
06-04-12, 08:38

Yes on the feed ramp.

Twist is 1/16.

C4

tb-av
06-04-12, 11:15
[QUOTE]Forgot to mention that the shot was taken un-supported./QUOTE]

I don't know what she whispered in your ear before you pulled the trigger..... but that must have been one hell of a promise.

Seriously can you hit that far away because of that red dot? I mean I get the barrel and your trigger control but I don't think I could even see the target that far away. Does the red dot help you to see the target? Or is that not even part of the equation?

mtdawg169
06-04-12, 11:48
I am using an RMR.

I used a 6 hold to get the hits. The target was 5 inches.

Personally, I was kind of disapointed in my shooting (thougth for sure I could shoot a 2" group).

C4

No way I could ever get that kind of accuracy with the trijicon HDs. Nice shooting!

C4IGrant
06-04-12, 12:01
Forgot to mention that the shot was taken un-supported./QUOTE]

I don't know what she whispered in your ear before you pulled the trigger..... but that must have been one hell of a promise.

Seriously can you hit that far away because of that red dot? I mean I get the barrel and your trigger control but I don't think I could even see the target that far away. Does the red dot help you to see the target? Or is that not even part of the equation?

I do have 15/20 vision so that does play a part in the equation. With that said, yes a dot does help with distance shooting.

C4

C4IGrant
06-04-12, 12:05
No way I could ever get that kind of accuracy with the trijicon HDs. Nice shooting!

Sights are a comprimise for certain. The Trijicon HD and Ameriglo PRO sights are about speed on target and do well at 15yds and in.

Since I needed to test accuracy (and prove theory), I had to go with a dot sight on the pistol.

C4

mtdawg169
06-04-12, 14:57
Sights are a comprimise for certain. The Trijicon HD and Ameriglo PRO sights are about speed on target and do well at 15yds and in.

Since I needed to test accuracy (and prove theory), I had to go with a dot sight on the pistol.

C4

Roger that. The HDs do their job nicely on close in targets, but stink for accuracy work. The RDS makes perfect sense for testing purposes.

Gary1911A1
06-05-12, 09:40
I do have 15/20 vision so that does play a part in the equation. With that said, yes a dot does help with distance shooting.

C4

Wow! That is great vision. Robbie has vision like that too. Wish I did.

JHC
06-05-12, 11:32
I've now got four sets of HD orange on guns and have found them to do it all close or far. attached: 55' offhand and 25 yard rested.

Skunk Pilot
06-05-12, 11:40
Hi Grant,

I know you don't know for sure, but what is your estimated time before you offer someone purchasing a new M&P9 and fitting the barrel?

Would just like to get an idea if it's 3 weeks out, or 6-8 weeks. Reason I ask is I don't have a M&P right now at all. I just came across a local G19 Gen4 for $460 (damn just got an email that it just sold, right before I was going to hit Submit Reply) oh well was going to sell it once you were ready with these barrels.

I decided I'm just going to get the M&P9 from you and not get the M&P40 and wait for this oversized conversion barrel since I don't have a 9mm right now at all. I keep reloading my local handgun Armslist page, 10 times a day.

Thanks for the info and I know it's probably a hard question to answer. If it takes longer than what you thought (posted here), myself, like others wouldn't mind since we'd rather wait and have you feel more comfortable getting it right.

jmp45
06-07-12, 10:14
G&R / Storm @ 15yds supported. I'm using the Ameriglo ProGlo w/serrated rear. For my eyes this is fantastic, sights always look fuzzy. I'm really really liking this M&P9. Grant's trigger work too is flat out amazing. I think I need to drift the rear site a bit. Federal 115gr, the cheap stuff.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/gr_storm_15yds.jpg

This was @ 15yds off hand. A few flyers that's not unusual for me..

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/gr_storm_15yds2.jpg

C4IGrant
06-07-12, 10:29
Those are very nice groups! Glad you like the barrel.

C4

jmp45
06-07-12, 11:44
Those are very nice groups! Glad you like the barrel.

C4

Thanks Grant.. For my skill level it's really quite amazing, especially with the proglo combat sights. I moved it out to 25 yds shooting off hand. I had quite a few punching the same group lower left quadrant, but then a lot of flyers too. Too many rounds into it to post any kind of accurate results.

train of abuses
06-07-12, 13:03
This is very interesting!

JHC
06-07-12, 17:40
Thanks Grant.. For my skill level it's really quite amazing, especially with the proglo combat sights. I moved it out to 25 yds shooting off hand. I had quite a few punching the same group lower left quadrant, but then a lot of flyers too. Too many rounds into it to post any kind of accurate results.

GREAT shooting. How much larger would those grips be with another less mechanically accurate pistol typically?

I still vividly recall a Marine or former Marine about a year ago starting a thread describing decent skills with his G19 and asking about the best way to upgrade the accuracy potenntial of his pistol. He was roundly pounded for even considering such with what I would call "bromides" about until he could outshoot his gun (implying that wasn't likely) he was wasting his time.

But most shooters with a decent skill level will be happily rewarded by a more accurate pistol. Based on your comments jmp I think you have pretty much proven this. Thanks for the report!

Its the shooters "cone of wobble" plus the guns cone of potential. Tighten either up and you get better hits.

theblackknight
06-07-12, 18:44
Grant, are these barrels on the market or only thru you? I've got a local smith who's doing my sights/trigger on a 9 Pro as soon as it's in.

jmp45
06-07-12, 19:47
GREAT shooting. How much larger would those grips be with another less mechanically accurate pistol typically?

I still vividly recall a Marine or former Marine about a year ago starting a thread describing decent skills with his G19 and asking about the best way to upgrade the accuracy potenntial of his pistol. He was roundly pounded for even considering such with what I would call "bromides" about until he could outshoot his gun (implying that wasn't likely) he was wasting his time.

But most shooters with a decent skill level will be happily rewarded by a more accurate pistol. Based on your comments jmp I think you have pretty much proven this. Thanks for the report!

Its the shooters "cone of wobble" plus the guns cone of potential. Tighten either up and you get better hits.

Thanks JHC for the complement.. Seriously though, I'm really at the bottom of the barrel for shooters on this board. I'm lucky if I can get to the range more than a 5 - 10 times a year.

JHC
06-07-12, 20:06
Thanks JHC for the complement.. Seriously though, I'm really at the bottom of the barrel for shooters on this board. I'm lucky if I can get to the range more than a 5 - 10 times a year.

That just makes the point more emphatically. And thanks for NOT posting 7 yard groups! ;)

C4IGrant
06-07-12, 20:42
Grant, are these barrels on the market or only thru you? I've got a local smith who's doing my sights/trigger on a 9 Pro as soon as it's in.

We have the exclusive.

C4

Hogsgunwild
06-08-12, 10:11
Hi Grant. Forgive me if you have answered this already. I have been following this post but do not recall if this has come up. Are you planning on selling Storm Lake fitted barrels for the M&P compact 9MMs?

If so, any estimate on when?

Thank you.

okie john
06-08-12, 11:59

I'm not now nor have I ever been a Marine, but I started a thread like that a while ago and got pretty much the response you described.

How much larger those groups might have been depends on a lot of things. The most important is probably ammunition--some guns will turn in 3" groups at 25m with Load A and 6" groups with Load B. I have no figures, but I suspect that 4" at 25m is a useful standard with good training-grade ammo in an unmodified, polymer-framed, striker-fired pistol IF it was properly assembled at the factory.

Accuracy gets better when you start adding the right aftermarket trigger components, sight systems, and barrels. Accuracy gets worse if you use crappy ammo. And accuracy doesn't matter if the shooter thinks that hitting an 8" plate at 7m most of the time is good enough.

Okie John

C4IGrant
06-08-12, 12:15
Hi Grant. Forgive me if you have answered this already. I have been following this post but do not recall if this has come up. Are you planning on selling Storm Lake fitted barrels for the M&P compact 9MMs?

If so, any estimate on when?

Thank you.

Yes we are. Compact barrels are a couple months out.

C4

Hogsgunwild
06-08-12, 12:37
Yes we are. Compact barrels are a couple months out.

C4

That is good news, thanks! My compact is capable of 4" at 25 yards and I suspect better from what I have seen using Gold Dots, but, I haven't had the time to really verify how well it shoots with a larger quantity of GDs yet. I intend to find out soon.

I look forward to seeing how much the fitted barrels can improve the compacts. I am the type that would have one installed for even a small gain in accuracy.

JHC
06-08-12, 12:42
I'm not now nor have I ever been a Marine, but I started a thread like that a while ago and got pretty much the response you described.

How much larger those groups might have been depends on a lot of things. The most important is probably ammunition--some guns will turn in 3" groups at 25m with Load A and 6" groups with Load B. I have no figures, but I suspect that 4" at 25m is a useful standard with good training-grade ammo in an unmodified, polymer-framed, striker-fired pistol IF it was properly assembled at the factory.

Accuracy gets better when you start adding the right aftermarket trigger components, sight systems, and barrels. Accuracy gets worse if you use crappy ammo. And accuracy doesn't matter if the shooter thinks that hitting an 8" plate at 7m most of the time is good enough.

Okie John

+1 I remember your thread quite recently and it was really interesting and I recall the similiar negative feedback.

Totally with you about bulk training ammo quality. I've been recently surprised by what appears to be 3" @ 25 yds potential of the case of MFS 115gr in several of my Glocks. Many reviews of it say its complete junk but its shot very well from several of our pistols.

okie john
06-08-12, 14:39
+1 I remember your thread quite recently and it was really interesting and I recall the similiar negative feedback.

Totally with you about bulk training ammo quality. I've been recently surprised by what appears to be 3" @ 25 yds potential of the case of MFS 115gr in several of my Glocks. Many reviews of it say its complete junk but its shot very well from several of our pistols.

American Eagle 124 and S&B 115 shoot very well in my guns, but the AE 124 is hard to find around here.

Okie John

geohans
06-08-12, 17:30
There is a skill threshold, below which a shooter will not benefit from a more mechanically accurate pistol, and above which he will benefit.

this threshold is actually quite LOW! It requires only a basic level of ability to see the benefit of an accurate pistol.

Not exactly on topic, but related I suppose.

JHC
06-08-12, 17:35
There is a skill threshold, below which a shooter will not benefit from a more mechanically accurate pistol, and above which he will benefit.

this threshold is actually quite LOW! It requires only a basic level of ability to see the benefit of an accurate pistol.
Not exactly on topic, but related I suppose.

No I think that needs to be said a thousand times!

ROBZ71LM7
06-10-12, 07:57
Grant,

Can I go ahead and preorder this barrel installed on a new M&P 9mm from you all? I have no issue prepaying.

I ordered an 11.5 upper from you all last week.

gunrunner505
06-10-12, 15:17
Is this type of barrel for the FS M&P40 on the horizon? I didn't see it anywhere in here and admitadly may have missed it.

Up1911fan
06-10-12, 20:59
I maybe in the market for a couple of these in the near future.

C4IGrant
06-10-12, 21:53
Grant,

Can I go ahead and preorder this barrel installed on a new M&P 9mm from you all? I have no issue prepaying.

I ordered an 11.5 upper from you all last week.

E-mail us that you are interested and we will contact you.

C4

C4IGrant
06-10-12, 21:56
Is this type of barrel for the FS M&P40 on the horizon? I didn't see it anywhere in here and admitadly may have missed it.

We weren't planning on offering them in for unless we get a lot of requests.

C4

Avedis
06-17-12, 12:21
cant wait, sent you an email about getting one for my M&P9 FS and one for my M&P9 PRO. Possible to install warren tactical sights while in your possession? Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

C4IGrant
06-29-12, 13:09
Just fitted a 5" barrel. Here is a pic of the finished (prototype) barrel.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/5_Fitted.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/StormLake/5_Fitted1.jpg

M_Rapp
06-29-12, 13:12
How much difference would a guy see between these and the standard Storm Lake barrels? Thanks.

C4IGrant
06-29-12, 13:14
How much difference would a guy see between these and the standard Storm Lake barrels? Thanks.

From my personal testing, there is a HUGE difference. Typically, drop in barrels shoot about the same (or within 1") of the factory barrel.

These fitted SL barrels are shooting 2" groups and better!

This is of course making the assumption that you are a good shooter. If you suck, then you probably wound't notice any difference. :)

C4

M_Rapp
06-29-12, 13:21
Thanks. I'm probably not as good as I think I am.. : ) I am REAL good at 7yds and progressively get a little worse the farther out I go! :)

What is the turn around on getting one of these done? Or you having a hard time getting enough stock to make that call?

C4IGrant
06-29-12, 13:26
Thanks. I'm probably not as good as I think I am.. : ) I am REAL good at 7yds and progressively get a little worse the farther out I go! :)

What is the turn around on getting one of these done? Or you having a hard time getting enough stock to make that call?

These barresl are not yet available. We should see them in 1-1.5 months.

We are taking orders though. Simply e-mail us with what you want and we will notify you when the barrels are in.

C4

jmp45
06-29-12, 13:29
This is of course making the assumption that you are a good shooter. If you suck, then you probably wound't notice any difference. :)

C4

Grant, you know I suck, but I certainly noticed a difference..;)

C4IGrant
06-29-12, 13:57
Grant, you know I suck, but I certainly noticed a difference..;)

LOL, there are many levels of "suck." My definition of SUCK is when you shoot the dirt in front of the target at 21ft. :jester:

C4

3 AE
06-29-12, 14:30
LOL, there are many levels of "suck." My definition of SUCK is when you shoot the dirt in front of the target at 21ft. :jester:

C4

I'm glad to hear that. Now I realize that I don't suck so bad! :haha:

jmp45
06-29-12, 14:43
hmmm, I guess I need to revisit the suckness scale.. maybe not so much.. ;)

Whiskey_Bravo
06-30-12, 10:09

C4

ok, it's official, I don't suck then.

auto10mm
06-30-12, 11:41
Can you fit the 9mm barrel to a .357 sig M&P?

C4IGrant
07-01-12, 10:39
Can you fit the 9mm barrel to a .357 sig M&P?

Yes, but don't have any conversion barrels ordered at this time.

C4

pjgeekass
07-01-12, 15:08

C4

I'll put in my request right now if you offer any threaded .40 barrels in the next 4 months before my NFA paperwork comes back.

huan
07-23-12, 15:09
man, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Hmac
07-23-12, 17:23
I posted this elsewhere, but here's a repeat.

I was getting about 5-6 inch groups from my M&P9L with DCAEK from a sandbag rest at 25 yards. Grant fitted a Storm Lake 5 inch barrel to my slide. Turnaround from the time he received it was 5 weeks (was delivered this past Friday). Saturday I took it out and shot it again from a sandbag at 25 yards. On the target below, I started in the 3 inch dot in the lower left and worked counterclockwise around the the one in the upper left corner. I've been shooting my Glock so it took me a few rounds to get back some trigger control on the M&P. By the time I got around to the last red dot, I was confident enough in the pistol to put an entire 20 round magazine in the last red dot. I didn't have a single malfunction in about 250 rounds and it was a pleasure not to have to dig hot brass out of my shirt pocket. I'm pleased with the results.

ETA: ammo was PMC Bronze 115gr FMJ.

http://SSEquine.net/9mmtarget.jpg

mikeith
07-29-12, 16:02
Grant, is it possible to get the barrel in a black finish? Stainless looks like poo on a vtac lol

C4IGrant
07-29-12, 20:46
Grant, is it possible to get the barrel in a black finish? Stainless looks like poo on a vtac lol

Not from us. Remember that in order for the barrel to be melonited, I would have to FIRST fit it to YOUR slide. Then mark it some how so that I knew it was yours. Oh and the cost is about $200 for a batch to get melonited. Wanna pay that much? :blink:

C4

willowofwisp
07-29-12, 20:58
Not from us. Remember that in order for the barrel to be melonited, I would have to FIRST fit it to YOUR slide. Then mark it some how so that I knew it was yours. Oh and the cost is about $200 for a batch to get melonited. Wanna pay that much? :blink:

C4

Like Grant said most places charge 200-250$ to melonite per batch so whether its 1 barrel or 5 it costs the same. I would have the barrel melonited after Grant is done fitting it. I know ATEi offers meloniting service, and I doubt Grant would want to have to mark/identify 15 barrels at a time lol.

mikeith
07-29-12, 22:48
Yea it's not worth 200 more lol.

Just a thought though. If you could find say 10 willing candidates for the process and engrave them 1-10 on the hidden side of the chamber would you do that. Sorta like a group buy minus the discount?

Lomshek
07-30-12, 00:50

Just a thought though. If you could find say 10 willing candidates for the process and engrave them 1-10 on the hidden side of the chamber would you do that. Sorta like a group buy minus the discount?

The sensible way to ID a barrel is to engrave the SN in it like guns of old. PITA either way and adds one more step to track for Grant. Don't blame him for not wanting to deal with it.

C4IGrant
07-30-12, 10:02

Once the barrels come in, I will be SO BUSY fitting them that doing anything extra (like marking them and getting them melonited) is pretty much out of the question as there just won't be enough time.

C4

mikeith
07-31-12, 07:46
Cool I understand that! Can't blame a guy for tryin though :)

Wayne Dobbs
08-01-12, 14:48
And the rush will now commence!

mikeith
08-01-12, 21:14
^ put me down for a threaded one too!

C4IGrant
08-02-12, 08:47
Nice. Please post final prices for threaded and non-threaded when you get them. I emailed you awhile back expressing interest in a threaded barrel, but you did not know how much they would cost you at the time so couldn't give price. I hope the first order is not already sold out! :p

$200 for non-threaded (is for sure). Threaded, I am thinking $210-$220. Have to wait to see what I paid for them.

C4

1911nbmore
08-02-12, 09:02
I'm in for a full size 9mm threaded. Email sent.

dccrimedog
08-02-12, 09:14
Grant,
I am on your pre-order list and I got a shipping notice from Storm Lake too. Not sure why....I assume the batch o'barrels is going to your shop, then you will contact the listees to ship in their guns at a pace you can maintain?
Thanks, just curious about the process now that the mythical barrel are materializing!

dccrimedog
08-02-12, 09:24
You have to got to the "account" page and reference the actual item. Mine was a barrel from 2011.

bravofour
08-05-12, 19:04
These barrels are going to be a hit. I've been following Apex/Bar-sto for months and it seems like a fitted M&P barrel will never come! Patiently waiting for a 5" model...

Hmac
08-05-12, 19:14
I just ran my M&P 9L with fitted 5" SL barrel in a 3 day pistol course with Louis Awerbuck, about 800 rounds. It ran flawlessly on PMC Bronze 115 grain...didn't clean it for the entire 3 days. No malfunctions of any kind, even with magazine out. I was completely satisfied with the accuracy. If I did my part, the gun was more than capable of doing its part.

Chayse
08-07-12, 14:21
Can't wait until they come in. I have a pro looking for better accuracy.

Avedis
08-16-12, 18:43
would I be correct in saying that you aren't planning on offering a ported version?

C4IGrant
08-16-12, 20:13
would I be correct in saying that you aren't planning on offering a ported version?

Not unless we get a lot of requests.

C4

dante2
08-26-12, 10:05
Put me down for a threaded one Grant.

Shotdown
09-05-12, 13:37
Looks like I may have to get the threaded barrel. Is it $210-220 for the threaded and fitted barrel?

PatEgan
09-12-12, 10:50
Are these any different than the barrels advertised by Storm Lake as being close to a drop-in fit? They do list the caveat that some minor fitting might be required.
Thanks,
Pat

C4IGrant
09-12-12, 11:00
Are these any different than the barrels advertised by Storm Lake as being close to a drop-in fit? They do list the caveat that some minor fitting might be required.
Thanks,
Pat

Yes. These don't fit at all.

C4

ChuckTait
09-12-12, 21:54

C4

Grant, you can count me in for at least one 5 inch 40 barrel.

BTW, can you fit 9mm barrel on MP40? I was thinking of drop in barrel, but if you can I might in for one 9mm barrle also.

PatEgan
09-12-12, 22:03
Thanks for the response, Grant-
Pat

Skunk Pilot
09-12-12, 23:01
Grant, you can count me in for at least one 5 inch 40 barrel.

BTW, can you fit 9mm barrel on MP40? I was thinking of drop in barrel, but if you can I might in for one 9mm barrle also.

I am planning on buying my 9mm from you guys and get the barrel fitted. However I'd prefer to just buy the 40 and get a custom fitted 9mm conversion barrel. I'd assume that's a ways off though, really can't wait too much longer as I don't even have a 9mm.

Grant, I was wondering, for reloading purposes, since these are custom fitted. Will the pressures be higher than a looser fitted barrel from the factory? If so, then would it be enough to even matter, if it does should people drop the grains for their loads, even if by one tenth of a grain? I know hard to say since the powders are so different, but for the fast burning ones like Titegroup for instance. I'm sure others would like to know.

I plan on only doing sub minor for most of my reloads and then minor PF for when I do some IDPA or USPSA next year (don't know which one yet).

Thanks.
---

Update for response below:

Thanks for the fast response. That's good news, if you haven't heard about it through the years then basically it means that it doesn't matter enough to make a difference then. It only might play into OAL, but then again it would be very, very small looking at other aftermarket barrel posts with reloaders with the M&P9.

C4IGrant
09-13-12, 08:04
I am planning on buying my 9mm from you guys and get the barrel fitted. However I'd prefer to just buy the 40 and get a custom fitted 9mm conversion barrel. I'd assume that's a ways off though, really can't wait too much longer as I don't even have a 9mm.

Grant, I was wondering, for reloading purposes, since these are custom fitted. Will the pressures be higher than a looser fitted barrel from the factory? If so, then would it be enough to even matter, if it does should people drop the grains for their loads, even if by one tenth of a grain? I know hard to say since the powders are so different, but for the fast burning ones like Titegroup for instance. I'm sure others would like to know.

I plan on only doing sub minor for most of my reloads and then minor PF for when I do some IDPA or USPSA next year (don't know which one yet).

Thanks.

I really cannot answer your question, but I shoot +P ammo thorugh my M&P so....

C4

drummerdude1188
09-23-12, 22:51
Grant any word on these? I have a pistol class in november and would like to have this in my gun before then.

Thanks

C4IGrant
09-24-12, 08:36
Grant any word on these? I have a pistol class in november and would like to have this in my gun before then.

Thanks

Current shipping date from SL is Oct 1.

C4

Omega Man
09-24-12, 16:40
Im assuming the original factory barrel will be included, when ordering an M&P with a Storm Lake?

C4IGrant
09-24-12, 19:37
Im assuming the original factory barrel will be included, when ordering an M&P with a Storm Lake?

Yes.

C4

brushy bill
09-25-12, 21:58
Grant,

Maybe I'm the slow kid here (admittedly I haven't read every post this thread), but I don't see these on your website. Have they arrived?

saddlerocker
09-25-12, 22:45
Grant,
Do you know how many your are getting?
Are you getting enough to cover all the people on the waiting list at this time, or is another batch needed to cover everyone and have enough to offer them on the website with new M&P's

C4IGrant
09-26-12, 10:28
Grant,

Maybe I'm the slow kid here (admittedly I haven't read every post this thread), but I don't see these on your website. Have they arrived?

Oct 1 is the date SL has given to me.

C4

C4IGrant
09-26-12, 10:37
Grant,
Do you know how many your are getting?
Are you getting enough to cover all the people on the waiting list at this time, or is another batch needed to cover everyone and have enough to offer them on the website with new M&P's

Over 100 in this order. So I should be able to cover all my orders and have spares.

C4

huan
09-26-12, 11:39
Over 100 in this order. So I should be able to cover all my orders and have spares.

C4

is there a page on your site where we can place an order already?

C4IGrant
09-26-12, 11:41
is there a page on your site where we can place an order already?

No and since people have to send me their slides, I think that I will have everyone just include their CC info with their slide (so I can keep everything together).

C4

dieselvrr
09-26-12, 12:20
Interested in seeing what everyone opinion on these barrels are!

supersix4
09-26-12, 12:34
will you have barrels for the 9 Pro?

C4IGrant
09-26-12, 12:48

There are a total of 6 barrels out there already. All reports have been much better accuracy and no reliability issues. Some reports are in this thread or on the forum.

C4

jmp45
09-26-12, 14:06

I have a few posts on this barrel back a few pages. Still quite happy with it, way more accurate than I am, no issues whatsoever.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104659&page=6

C4IGrant
09-26-12, 15:21

Eventually, yes. In this first batch, we are getting full size threaded and non-threaded.

C4

Hogsgunwild
09-26-12, 19:04
Grant,

Any word yet if / when the 9MM compact SL barrels will appear?

Thanks

C4IGrant
09-26-12, 19:46
Grant,

Any word yet if / when the 9MM compact SL barrels will appear?

Thanks

Those are third on the list and won't be available till after the 5" barrels come in.

C4

Hogsgunwild
09-26-12, 21:54
Cool, thanks for the quick reply.

birdkiller
09-27-12, 02:03
I thought I had seen something about Glock barrels too. I know you are still trying to get up and running with these MP barrels, but is that still a consideration?

Thanks

Hmac
09-27-12, 09:17

Grant fitted a 5 inch SL barrel for my 9L several weeks ago. Really nice result and highly recommended if you're having accuracy issues that affect your use of the firearm.

C4IGrant
09-27-12, 09:19
I thought I had seen something about Glock barrels too. I know you are still trying to get up and running with these MP barrels, but is that still a consideration?

Thanks

Yes, I have a sampling of various Glock barrels coming in about 2 months.

While the Glock (typically) does not need a fitted barrel, I bet that we can get them to shoot .5-1" groups. :D

C4

okie john
09-27-12, 10:17
Yes, I have a sampling of various Glock barrels coming in about 2 months.

While the Glock (typically) does not need a fitted barrel, I bet that we can get them to shoot .5-1" groups. :D

I'd like to volunteer to be a beta tester for this. Let me know the cost and shipping info. What calibers and models are we talking about?

Okie John

C4IGrant
09-27-12, 10:25
I'd like to volunteer to be a beta tester for this. Let me know the cost and shipping info. What calibers and models are we talking about?

Okie John

Sure. Send me an e-mail with what Glock you have and I will notify you when we are ready for you to send your slide in.

C4

birdkiller
09-28-12, 02:07
If you need beta testers, I would also gladly help, not that I have any "street cred" on this site, or with the people here. But, doesn't hurt asking right?

.5 Glock groups, with Mr. Lee's (apex) extractor in a gen 4 19 sounds very nice.

Thanks,
Cole

C4IGrant
09-28-12, 10:27
If you need beta testers, I would also gladly help, not that I have any "street cred" on this site, or with the people here. But, doesn't hurt asking right?

.5 Glock groups, with Mr. Lee's (apex) extractor in a gen 4 19 sounds very nice.

Thanks,
Cole

Sure. Send me an e-mail.

Just a note, when we say that a gun is capable of .5-1" groups, that is its mechanical ability. You will never achieve those groups with combat style sights (or without a ransom rest).

C4

orionz06
09-28-12, 10:44
I could go for a super accurate Glock.

Guinnessman
09-28-12, 14:44
Grant,

By chance, do any of the Glock offerings come with a threaded barrel? These sound tempting.:D

C4IGrant
09-28-12, 15:54
Grant,

By chance, do any of the Glock offerings come with a threaded barrel? These sound tempting.:D

We will do some of those for certain!

C4

birdkiller
09-28-12, 17:02
Awesome, thanks. Will a threaded 19 barrel be something you need beta tested?

Right, potential accuracy. But I like knowing my gun can outshoot me, without any question. The Glocks I have been around are already accurate, but if it can be improved, that'd be great.

Cole

eternal24k
09-28-12, 18:02
Grant,
I apologize if I missed it, but what Glock models will you be covering?

C4IGrant
09-28-12, 21:00
Grant,
I apologize if I missed it, but what Glock models will you be covering?

17's and 19's.

C4

Orange-Fox
10-02-12, 09:43
Any chance for a threaded 19 barrel with a "true" 13.5mm LH profile?

C4IGrant
10-02-12, 09:48
Any chance for a threaded 19 barrel with a "true" 13.5mm LH profile?

That would have to be a special order (as most people use the 1/2X28).

C4