PDA

View Full Version : First AR/Possible build

narco23
05-02-12, 17:08
Looking at getting my first AR and have been going back and forth on what to get. Originally I was going to get a DD 11.5" to use for work but that has been considerably delayed and now I am thinking about other options. While a SBR would be beneficial for duty use I also understand I should probably get a 16". A 16" wouldn't be that much of a hindrance at work. So, I am at the point of considering a couple of options and am looking for some input/advice.

Option 1
Wait out the delay for the DD SBR which would be sometime around a year from now due to ATF wait times.

Option 2
Buy a complete DD LE LW package deal. Non-NFA would speed it up plus I don't believe those are back ordered.

Option 3
Buy a complete Noveske. SBR or 16"

Option 4
Looking at a custom build. Something simple since it would be my first and I consider myself well lets say a beginner or most things firearm related besides shooting.

-BCM BFH 16" mid length upper w/centurian C4 12" HG
-BCM BCG and CH
-LMT Defender lower with SOPMOD

Thoughts or suggestions? Would that combination function well and reliably or is there anything that I am missing? My overall preference would be for a low weight accurate rifle to use on duty, SHTF, and for some range use.

thehammer69
05-03-12, 16:25
That custom build combo sounds good to me.

narco23
05-03-12, 18:50
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to make sense of everything and if I go the custom build route I want to make sure everything will work together and that I didn't overlook anything and I am open to suggestions as well.

sammage
05-03-12, 19:00
Options 3 or 4 sound like the quickest, while still offering a good range of choices.

Shiz
05-03-12, 19:04
Have you thought of a 14.5 perm attached?

I have BCM 16, and 14.5 and love them both. my go to right now is the 14.5. Soft shooter.

narco23
05-03-12, 20:24
I had been looking into a complete BCM 14.5 or 16" recce. I guess I've backed away from 14.5 simple because I don't know i I like something perm. attached.

pira114
05-04-12, 05:50
The custom build sounds better to me out of your options. Have you thought of just piecing together a BCM? I did mine for just over a grand. Got a blemed lower from Grant and the rest from BravoCompanyUSA. Worked out great.

Oh, and I got the 14.5 with perm'd A2X. But I KNEW I wouldn't be switching later. If there's a possibility you'll want to switch muzzle devices, then get 16. Or pay the tax and get it SBR'd.