PDA

View Full Version : Magazines Not Seating

Wake27
05-02-12, 23:33
I know there are a bunch of related threads, but I couldn't find anything to solve my problem.

I was messing with my Noveske the other night and noticed that my magazines weren't seating unless I used more force than should be (or used to be I'm pretty sure) necessary.

I only have PMAGs, but both the weapon and magazines were all bought since November. I have a little under 1,000 rounds through the AR and this happens with magazines with 2-30 rounds. 1 round loaded and empty works just like normal. I've never noticed this problem before and really think I would have by now if it had always been this way. The weapon had been cleaned since it was last shot (1-2 months ago) and lubed with Militec which I've been using with great results since getting it. I also broke it down and gave it a more thorough cleaning last night after noticing the problem. I don't have access to any other mags or uppers to switch out, but I've tried 4 loaded and 1 unloaded PMAG. I also unloaded one of the full ones and then it worked fine. Most of mine are Maglevels, so when I seat the loaded magazine, the body moves up into the mag-well but the rounds don't move at all. And its completely fine when the bolt is locked to the rear. The only modification I've made to the rifle is the addition of a Magpul BAD.

Any ideas what's going on?

ucrt
05-02-12, 23:41

Are the insides of the mags dirty? Dirt (or gunk) could be hindering the ammo from being pushed down into the mag when you're seating it.

Maybe take one problem mag apart, clean it, reassemble, and try it again to see if that helps.

But maybe it's just me...

Wake27
05-02-12, 23:45
Not at all. All of this stuff has been used very gently so far. I have nine mags total, so it averages to about 100 rounds per magazine.

lunchbox
05-02-12, 23:57
Have you tried down loading mags to see if level/spring/somethn is off? Just a thought.

Eric D.
05-03-12, 00:05
I sometimes have a similar issue with pmags and I know some other members have too but it doesn't come up very often. The next time it happens, take the mag out and look at the round just below the top one. Sometime it can get tilted upwards and cause the problem you're experiencing.

ETA: Here's a picture of what it looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/s3wSK.jpg

Tweak
05-03-12, 02:01
Is the BAD lever hitting the mag catch? Take the upper off of the lower and see how the mag fits. Make sure that the trigger guard isn't sticking into the mag well.

polymorpheous
05-03-12, 02:26
I'm surprised this hasn t been asked yet.
Are you trying to seat the magazine on a closed bolt?
How do they seat with the bolt locked open?

Tweak
05-03-12, 03:34
And its completely fine when the bolt is locked to the rear.

OP's answer.

Iraqgunz
05-03-12, 03:46
Is your magazine release adjusted correctly?

GrumpyM4
05-03-12, 03:59
OP,

Do you load your magazines from boxes, or bulk?

I've seen this issue recently and the shooter was loading from bulk, and didn't actually count the rounds he loaded in the magazine.

Pmags can actually be loaded to 31 rounds and won't seat if the bolt is forward.

Check the top round of your magazines and if they are fully loaded and the top round is on the left side of the magazine and you can't push the rounds down, then it has 31 rounds and is causing your issue. This has been a well known issue with Pmags since they were first released. Well, more of an end user issue.

If the top round is on the right and you can push the rounds down far enough so that another round *could* be loaded, then this is not your issue and i'd suggest following IG's advice and check to see if your mag catch is properly installed.

Eric D.
05-03-12, 12:01
Would you mind elaborating? I have the mag catch screwed in flush with the button on both of my lowers. They both work but if this isn't right, I'd love to learn to the correct way :cool:

OP, I added a pic for you in my post above.

Wake27
05-03-12, 12:16
Have you tried down loading mags to see if level/spring/somethn is off? Just a thought.

Yup, I've downloaded to 20 and it hasn't helped.

I sometimes have a similar issue with pmags and I know some other members have too but it doesn't come up very often. The next time it happens, take the mag out and look at the round just below the top one. Sometime it can get tilted upwards and cause the problem you're experiencing.

No tilt in any of the mags from what I can see.

Is the BAD lever hitting the mag catch? Take the upper off of the lower and see how the mag fits. Make sure that the trigger guard isn't sticking into the mag well.

I was wondering about this one because the lever moves some when a magazine is seated. I can't see why it would have any effect but it did make me curious. As soon as I find the hex key for it I'll take it off and see if that helps.

I would assume so, since I never had a problem with it before and don't know why it would have changed. Again, empty mags are fine and all magazines drop free when I hit the release.

OP,

Do you load your magazines from boxes, or bulk?

I've seen this issue recently and the shooter was loading from bulk, and didn't actually count the rounds he loaded in the magazine.

Pmags can actually be loaded to 31 rounds and won't seat if the bolt is forward.

Check the top round of your magazines and if they are fully loaded and the top round is on the left side of the magazine and you can't push the rounds down, then it has 31 rounds and is causing your issue. This has been a well known issue with Pmags since they were first released. Well, more of an end user issue.

If the top round is on the right and you can push the rounds down far enough so that another round *could* be loaded, then this is not your issue and i'd suggest following IG's advice and check to see if your mag catch is properly installed.

Bulk, but I unloaded and reloaded a magazine and counted thirty. Plus, since downloading doesn't help I guess that's not what it is.

From the way it looks and feels when trying to insert a loaded magazine, the rounds are hitting the BCG and that's what is stopping them. Then I have to push again and watch the spring inside the magazine become even more compressed before the magazines locks into place.

Iraqgunz
05-03-12, 13:13
Who makes this lower in case I missed it?

feedramp
05-03-12, 14:04
I think in the topic post he mentioned Noveske.

CarlosDJackal
05-03-12, 15:09
I think in the topic post he mentioned Noveske.

A friend of mine has the same issue with his Noveske SBR that he's had quite a few years. Some PMags seats fine but it seems the bulk of it does not (to include M4 marked versinos). And he forces them into the rifle, they end up jammed in there and will not drop out unless you apply a lot of force to dislodge them.

Kinda strange that a high-value rifle and normally reliable magazines will have these types of issues.

Iraqgunz
05-03-12, 16:49
Maybe they got a bad batch of lowers. Anything is possible.

Wake27
05-03-12, 17:03
But again, I've never noticed it before and I really think I would have. I don't know what's going on.

Tweak
05-03-12, 19:08
How do they fit with the upper off the lower?

Clint
05-03-12, 19:21
right, if the upper is too narrow, it can squeeze the top of the mag lips in.

Wake27
05-03-12, 19:29
They work fine with just the lower, same as when the bolt is locked to the rear. I still haven't been able to find that damn Torx wrench so I'll have to wait until hopefully tomorrow to take off the BAD lever and see if that somehow is doing something. Seems unlikely, but I'm running out of ideas.

Tweak
05-03-12, 19:29
or the relief cut can sit to one side.

Grim Fandango
05-03-12, 19:51

I don't mean to threadjack, but I own twelve pmags--four 20 rounders and 8 30 rounders--and they all do this pretty regularly when seating on a closed bolt. I spent some time one night disassembling the mags and trying them with different numbers of rounds loaded, and I could never get the problem to go away no matter how much I down-loaded them. They're not old, warn out mags, either. The eight 30s have a combined... Maybe 600 rounds through them.

For the record, I'm using a complete LMT lower with BAD lever, and a stripped Colt upper with LMT BCG. I think we can all agree those are quality products. It really puzzles me that my pmags don't seem to function correctly with them.

Fetep
05-03-12, 21:45
I have an LMT CQB MRP, the first time at the range I noticed both mine and the wife's gun wouldn't take a full mag with the bolt closed, she has an LMT basic carbine, bolt open no problems. I did a few searches and they all said the same thing, download magazine and give it a good bump, you're not going to hurt it! After 500 rounds or so they go in a bit easier but a good bump does it every time! No problems here, I was a bit focused on it and made it a bigger problem then it really was!

Give it a smack and shoot that rifle!

If the gun is functioning properly, no FTE's or FTF's then I and a hundred or so other forum posters are correct in assuming that the problem is psychological. Haha

Fetep

ucrt
05-03-12, 22:00

What about a "test" of lubing the inside of a problem mag or two with silicone or light oil and seeing if it (which I think it is) a mag problem?

Do you have any USGI mags to try?

But maybe it's just me...

NongShim
05-03-12, 22:30
Pmags are a solution (problem) to a nonexistent problem. There are these things called "USGI mags", which happen to be lightweight, reliable, and CHEAP. Do yourself a favor and get a couple new ones to try.

GrumpyM4
05-03-12, 22:44
Bulk, but I unloaded and reloaded a magazine and counted thirty. Plus, since downloading doesn't help I guess that's not what it is.

From the way it looks and feels when trying to insert a loaded magazine, the rounds are hitting the BCG and that's what is stopping them. Then I have to push again and watch the spring inside the magazine become even more compressed before the magazines locks into place.

Ok. That's gtg.

On another note, did you buy the lower as a complete assembly or did you assemble it yourself?

Does the mag catch have a lot of play up and down? As in, when you insert the magazine, does the mag catch move upwards a fair bit when the magazine contacts it?

There's a chance the mag catch was machined too small in height and is moving upwards with the magazine and not aligning with the slot in the magazine unless the magazine can move far enough up (i.e. inserting with the bolt open) to account for this.

edit: an oversized bolt catch notch can accomplish the same thing even if the actual bolt catch is machined to the proper size. Check both.

Eric D.
05-04-12, 00:49
It doesn't happen to me very often. The only way I can duplicate the problem is by holding the gun upside down (mag well facing the sky) and inserting a mag that way. When it does happen, it just takes a little extra force to seat the mag and it doesn't cause any feeding issues. After that first mag though, I'm loading on an open bolt so it isn't a huge problem for me.

I don't mean to threadjack, but I own twelve pmags--four 20 rounders and 8 30 rounders--and they all do this pretty regularly when seating on a closed bolt. I spent some time one night disassembling the mags and trying them with different numbers of rounds loaded, and I could never get the problem to go away no matter how much I down-loaded them. They're not old, warn out mags, either. The eight 30s have a combined... Maybe 600 rounds through them.

For the record, I'm using a complete LMT lower with BAD lever, and a stripped Colt upper with LMT BCG. I think we can all agree those are quality products. It really puzzles me that my pmags don't seem to function correctly with them.

mpom
05-04-12, 19:03
Had a similar issue, which was cured by replacing the mag catch with a Colt item from Brownells. The old one looked fine, but the issue went away...

Mark

tfltackdriver
05-04-12, 21:24
Bizarre. I just started having this problem tonight with one of my pmags -- second round creeping just like in the photo.

DacoRoman
05-04-12, 22:00
FYI, I had a Noveske lower that had two problems: one, the takedown pins required serious pounding with a punch and hammer to push in/out of the upper, and two, pmags wouldn't seat unless I really crammed them in at which point I'd get a feed malfunction when I'd try to chamber a round. The first gen Lancers and GI mags worked just fine. I believe it was a slightly out of spec lower. Noveske's customer service was superlative and they replaced the lower with one that seats Pmags just fine (and allows manual manipulation of the takedown pins).

vram74
05-05-12, 08:44

I experienced the same problem and this was the cause. When I shoved the tilted bullet back down, mag went in perfectly.

***Dude, duct tape to hang a paper on the wall?

feedramp
05-05-12, 13:56
Goes with the lightswitch without the faceplate. ;)

Eric D.
05-05-12, 16:38
Its the only type of tape that would stick and stay put!

3 AE
05-05-12, 20:09
OP, Me and a friend have four different ARs, Colt,DD,BCM,LMT. We went through 12 different 30 round PMags w/Maglevels. Everything mimicked what you had for results. Loading an empty mag or mag with one round loaded inserted easily against a closed bolt. With two rounds loaded there was a slight increase of resistance.From 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 etc. to 30, resistance increased a little bit along the way. We needed to have a firm push to lock in the magazines. We could see the spring compress about 3/32" as the mag was fully inserted.
It could simply be that it was a month or two since you last used the weapon and the effort to seat a mag felt more magnified. Kind of like a loss of muscle memory if that makes any sense. We did find out that if we loaded the PMags with 31 rounds, there was no more room for the spring to compress and you could not load it on a closed bolt. Our conclusion from this unscientific test was what you are experiencing is normal and that the brain is playing mind games on you. That happens to me a lot since I've gotten into my 50's! :laugh:

feedramp
05-07-12, 01:11
OP, Me and a friend have four different ARs, Colt,DD,BCM,LMT. We went through 12 different 30 round PMags w/Maglevels. Everything mimicked what you had for results. Loading an empty mag or mag with one round loaded inserted easily against a closed bolt. With two rounds loaded there was a slight increase of resistance.From 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 etc. to 30, resistance increased a little bit along the way. We needed to have a firm push to lock in the magazines. We could see the spring compress about 3/32" as the mag was fully inserted.
It could simply be that it was a month or two since you last used the weapon and the effort to seat a mag felt more magnified. Kind of like a loss of muscle memory if that makes any sense. We did find out that if we loaded the PMags with 31 rounds, there was no more room for the spring to compress and you could not load it on a closed bolt. Our conclusion from this unscientific test was what you are experiencing is normal and that the brain is playing mind games on you. That happens to me a lot since I've gotten into my 50's! :laugh:

Great data, 3 AE. Thanks for that.

Wake27
05-08-12, 13:33
Little update. Finally got the BAD lever off, made no difference. I also asked an SME I know, he pretty much said "Why the **** are you loading it with the bolt closed?" haha. Point taken, especially when he asked me what you're supposed to do every time you pick up a weapon and I realized what he was getting at, but still. I should be doing a lot of shooting with him tomorrow so I'll have him take a look and see if somehow the mag release got knocked around or something.

stitch1870
05-08-12, 14:19
Reloading on a closed bolt is a tactical reload. Your "SME" doesn't seem to be the case.

polymorpheous
05-08-12, 16:34
Reloading on a closed bolt is a tactical reload. Your "SME" doesn't seem to be the case.

Perhaps you could school him?
Be careful swinging your Internet dick around here.
You will get called out.

A tactical reload requires a firm slap to seat the mag.
Something the OP is having to do any way.
However, it is not normal to have to slap it firmly to seat the mag with just a few rounds loaded in it.

stitch1870
05-08-12, 16:40
Not trying to whip out the measuring stick, just saying that a "SME" ribbing on a tactical reload (which is more fluid and still leaves you with a round in the chamber) is better than having to do a speed reload. Something the claimed SME should know.

Wake27
05-08-12, 18:41
I used SME for lack of a better term. I'm not about to tell the INTERWEBZ his qualifications but he has more than enough of them. I see your point though.

Rifleman_04
05-11-12, 08:06
It's your PMags. Use USGI and the problem will be gone.

I've got over 20 30rd PMags, some just out of the wrapper and some well used, and they all do the same thing. Not being able to do a tac reload is a big negative to me. I only use PMags for training now.

Iraqgunz
05-11-12, 15:41
I don't understand how you can make that assumption. I have PMAG's from early 08 upt to 2011 and I use them almost exclusively.

I had no issues doing tactical reloads in the courses I have attended, whether they were PMAG's or aluminum.

It's your PMags. Use USGI and the problem will be gone.

I've got over 20 30rd PMags, some just out of the wrapper and some well used, and they all do the same thing. Not being able to do a tac reload is a big negative to me. I only use PMags for training now.

Rifleman_04
05-11-12, 19:35
@gunz

All of my Pmags are made in the same range of years as yours, all of them do exactly as pictured. It's sort of an assumption yes but its a vetted one. Pmags will not allow me to seat the magazine with the bolt forward as the two top rounds get crossed up, I've never had the problem with any other type of magazine.

ForTehNguyen
05-12-12, 08:22
very strange I can seat a pmag or troy polymer mags with 30 rounds on a closed bolt

Wake27
05-12-12, 23:38
@gunz

All of my Pmags are made in the same range of years as yours, all of them do exactly as pictured. It's sort of an assumption yes but its a vetted one. Pmags will not allow me to seat the magazine with the bolt forward as the two top rounds get crossed up, I've never had the problem with any other type of magazine.

I already stated that I didn't notice any of my magazines doing this when looking at them.

Sticks
05-13-12, 07:48
That pic looks like what occurs when you leave a Pmag fully loaded for an extended period without the dust cover on it - feed lips start to spread.

Not sure how to respond to this whole "smack the bottom of the mag" thing. Been covered a lot. Push the mag in firmly, hear/feel the click of it seating, slight pull to verify, rock on.

UH...yeah. A full mag is harder to seat than each progressively less loaded mag. You have to overcome magazine spring tension to seat the mag.

Grow stronger (here we go :rolleyes: ), take a training class, practice...

Rifleman_04
05-13-12, 09:51
I already stated that I didn't notice any of my magazines doing this when looking at them.

I missed that. Have you tried USGI mags yet?

Rifleman_04
05-13-12, 09:58
That pic looks like what occurs when you leave a Pmag fully loaded for an extended period without the dust cover on it - feed lips start to spread.

Yep, but as stated my brand new out of the wrapper Pmags do that.

Wake27
05-13-12, 13:17
I missed that. Have you tried USGI mags yet?

Nope not yet. I just ordered some though so I will as soon as I get them.

Wake27
05-18-12, 10:26
So I've shot a few hundred rounds since first making this post and finally have some USGI mags. Same problem still, even when downloaded to 28 rounds... Definitely not just a PMAG problem.

Tweak
05-18-12, 14:37
try a different bolt carrier.

Wake27
05-18-12, 15:34
That I should be able to try when my sisters AR (more like my backup...) gets here on Monday.

Tweak
05-18-12, 17:25
in that case you can pin on a new upper too.;)

Ken
05-18-12, 19:32
Strange. My frankenrifle consists of a PWA lower, LMT L7d1 upper, BCM bcg, and a G&R Tactical LPK. Put the LPK in myself and I have absolutely no magazine seating issues with USGI, or PMAG's loaded to thirty rounds on a closed bolt. The PMAG's will not drop free like the USGI's, but they will seat with a noticeable "click" with me using a firm one finger push.

Sticks
05-19-12, 04:55
...The PMAG's will not drop free like the USGI's, but they will seat with a noticeable "click" with me using a firm one finger push.

Bummer. Unless you have another AR, ditch the Pmags. Sell 'em, trade 'em, or buy another AR [READ - second/backup/SPR...] that they work in. When time is precious, you don't want to be wasting it by having to rip a mag free.

Iraqgunz
05-19-12, 05:41
I believe I said it before. I think the lower is out of spec. I can insert fully loaded PMAG's into all of my AR lowers, whether the bolt is forward or to the rear. I use the push/ pull method. I don't slam them.

That I should be able to try when my sisters AR (more like my backup...) gets here on Monday.

Wake27
05-19-12, 23:49
I believe I said it before. I think the lower is out of spec. I can insert fully loaded PMAG's into all of my AR lowers, whether the bolt is forward or to the rear. I use the push/ pull method. I don't slam them.

I may have to give Noveske a call then, but I'll wait until I get to test some different combos once the other rifle gets here. Maybe its always been a problem and I just never noticed it. Interestingly though, I think its gotten worse. I fired 180 rounds today (always just slam it when actually shooting so I don't know how it felt then) but tonight it seems to have gotten worse. Initially I would insert the mag, it would stop, and then I could slam or I could just push harder to fully seat it. Now its much harder to push, so much so that I almost have to slam it in. Still no issues dropping free or feeding though. Its weird...

3 AE
05-20-12, 00:33
Let me get this straight, of all the magazines that you have inserted into your carbine, have any of them failed to seat and function as required? Pmags, USGI mags, empty, one round, 28 rounds, 30 rounds and everything in between, you've been been able to seat the mags, albeit with increased resistance, and still put rounds down range. No problems when you first got the rifle and now with PMags and USGI mags, it's getting worse? I don't know, maybe you can put a video on YouTube showing us this progressive failure of your Noveske. I'm sure Noveske would be most interested along with Magpul. You have a bunch of us wondering WTF.

MegademiC
05-20-12, 00:49
Let me get this straight, of all the magazines that you have inserted into your carbine, have any of them failed to seat and function as required? Pmags, USGI mags, empty, one round, 28 rounds, 30 rounds and everything in between, you've been been able to seat the mags, albeit with increased resistance, and still put rounds down range. No problems when you first got the rifle and now with PMags and USGI mags, it's getting worse? I don't know, maybe you can put a video on YouTube showing us this progressive failure of your Noveske. I'm sure Noveske would be most interested along with Magpul. You have a bunch of us wondering WTF.

As I'm understanding it, its functioning fine, just 'feels' harder. All mags take more effort to insert on a closed bolt when loaded.

amount of force needed:
open bolt = empty mag/closed bolt
2round closed bolt< fullmag/closed bolt.

It doesnt matter what mag you have. I have 3 usgi mags and had 3 pmags(gave some away - and yes small sample size, but still..._) all could be seated with 30 rounds. All took a little effort, but not much, to seat.

FWIW, I had mags fall when using the "slap" method, so I started pushing till I hear the *click* or push/pull method. I have not had a problem since. Its also quicker.

OP, look at things and isolate different part movement with your fingers (bolt catch, etc.) If there is no noticable problems, its probably fine. If you cannot physically seat the mag without an unreasonable amount of force, and using a veritable plethora of mags, my modest suggestion would be to send in the lower.

Edit - when you see the rounds not moving as stated in OP, its because the rounds hit the closed bolt, you need to overcome the spring force and slight friction so of course its gonna take more effort then an open bolt.

Tweak
05-20-12, 02:11
Still no issues dropping free or feeding though. Its weird...

Do you have calipers?

Sticks
05-20-12, 05:39
I am starting to wonder if the mag catch is getting bound - READ - now has side to side/up and down play instead of normal travel in the lower against the mag catch spring tension. That or you just plain have sand/grit inside there and maybe ought to pull it, clean it, and reassemble. Something that any movement on the mag other than 100% straight in is causing the issue.

That or you have a degenerative muscle medical issue and should see a doctor.

Wake27
05-20-12, 09:47
I don't have calipers. And correct, function has not been affected. Once a magazine is seated it feeds perfectly. Seating is just becoming increasingly difficult, enough so that it is definitely noticeable. I need to transition to push/pull instead of slap, but will have to wait until this gets sorted out I guess. I'm hoping that something just happened with the magazine catch.

Which reminds me, I forgot to post this last night when I noticed it had gotten even harder to seat. The magazine release now seems to be kind of stuck when I go to push it. It takes more force than before to get the button moving.

MegademiC
05-21-12, 09:04
I don't have calipers. And correct, function has not been affected. Once a magazine is seated it feeds perfectly. Seating is just becoming increasingly difficult, enough so that it is definitely noticeable. I need to transition to push/pull instead of slap, but will have to wait until this gets sorted out I guess. I'm hoping that something just happened with the magazine catch.

Which reminds me, I forgot to post this last night when I noticed it had gotten even harder to seat. The magazine release now seems to be kind of stuck when I go to push it. It takes more force than before to get the button moving.

Sounds like theres shit in the mag catch/release button. Easy fix, just take it out, clean, inspect, re-assemble and see if you still have an issue.

BigLarge
05-22-12, 00:47

I had this same problem on 3 out of 4 of my PMAGS, every time.

OP, I have the same problem as you. Newer PMAGs with less than 100rds rach. Happens on my new issued RRA rifle and an old Olympic that I inherited. Tried adjusting the mag catch, cleaning the rifle, etc. Nothing worked. Even emailed Magpul about it 9 months ago with pictures. They never emailed me back.

My solution was to throw the PMAGs in the garbage and go back to USGI mags. Havent had a problem since.

3 AE
05-30-12, 15:20
OP, any update on troubleshooting this? You mentioned you were waiting to try your sisters AR to see if you can duplicate the problem. Has Noveske been notified? If so, any suggestions on what could be the issue with your rifle?

Wake27
05-30-12, 20:11
Yeah actually, I've been meaning to update this. I didn't even switch out the BCG or lowers between the two weapons. I noticed a very similar feel when I inserted a magazine into her AR (BCM lower) and after some playing around and a thorough cleaning of mine, I just chalked it up to having always been that way. I still find it very weird that I had never noticed, but it'd be even more weird if 2 completely different lowers had the same problem I guess...

bluecanary
06-01-12, 14:17
Yeah actually, I've been meaning to update this. I didn't even switch out the BCG or lowers between the two weapons. I noticed a very similar feel when I inserted a magazine into her AR (BCM lower) and after some playing around and a thorough cleaning of mine, I just chalked it up to having always been that way. I still find it very weird that I had never noticed, but it'd be even more weird if 2 completely different lowers had the same problem I guess...

Who makes the lowers?

Matt_S
06-02-12, 06:40
His is a Noveske, hers( his sisters) is a BCM

bluecanary
06-02-12, 13:31
His is a Noveske, hers( his sisters) is a BCM

who makes the lowers for them? Maybe it is a batch problem...

tfltackdriver
06-03-12, 06:23
who makes the lowers for them? Maybe it is a batch problem...

I think you're going down the wrong path. Mine is an aero precision and does the same thing. The problem is that second round creeping as you've seen in the photos.
On my mags that do that, when I correct it, the mag seats fine. Like another poster mentioned, about 75% of mine do it. It seems to be a lip-spread issue.
Can someone tag one of the magpul folks on this board to ask him to weigh in?

MegademiC
06-04-12, 00:30
Does that actually cause a problem for you guys? After this thread I looked and my pmags do it, but I cant tell a difference between my pmags and stanags in either manipulation or function.

All have been 100% reliable so far.

tfltackdriver
06-04-12, 05:05
Does that actually cause a problem for you guys? After this thread I looked and my pmags do it, but I cant tell a difference between my pmags and stanags in either manipulation or function.

All have been 100% reliable so far.

See thread title. Mine will seat, but with more force than should be necessary.

Wake27
06-04-12, 13:28
FWIW, I just checked 5 of my 9 PMAGs again and still have yet to have one do that.

ggp2jz
06-04-12, 14:12
Im having this issue with GI mags and not PMags. The PMags will even drop free, but in order for my GI mag to seat I have to hit the shit out of it in which case I have to muscle the mag release just to rease the mag. The PMags will also work fine with 30rds.

MegademiC
06-05-12, 23:42
See thread title. Mine will seat, but with more force than should be necessary.

I was talking specifically about the rounds moving around as pictured above, not the force to seat. Mine do not take more force, when fully loaded, my stanag type mags do - which is expected.

Lockup1109
06-14-12, 23:24
I had basically the exact same issue with one of my uppers the other day. The issue was that the upper was .03" narrower than it should be. Take calipers and measure the width inside the upper of the two curver ridges where the top of the magazine hits inside the upper receiver (where it meets the bcg) it should measure .81" on average. My upper measured .78" which cause very tight mag seating. I polished part of that upper ridge and the problem dissapeared amd i didnt even remove any finish from the inside of the upper. Measure it and report back. Womdering if a slightly out of spec batch of upper receivers may be floating around.

samuse
06-16-12, 00:03
I have a complete Noveske lower and it's a bitch to perform a reload and mags don't drop free. Ever.

I didn't really notice until I started using the lower exclusively after returning the Colt lower I was using to it's owner.

Tac reloads with 28 rounds in a GI mag or 30 in a PMAG? Bruise your hand and very difficult to get done under any little amount of stress.

It really gets on my nerves. I'm hoping that it's the mag catch and replacing it with a Colt will fix the problem.

How 'bout a rant??

I feel like I have a Fudded up piece of shit right now with a lower I can't perform a good reload with and my uber tactical VLTOR A5 recoil multiplier and a two-stage trigger that gets on my nerves.

I've been able to hang with Jason Falla(and outrun on occasion) doing drills involving reloads and rapid fire. Now that I've 'upgraded' all my shit, it sucks and I fumble around to get shit done.

Matt_S
06-16-12, 08:50
I have a complete Noveske lower and it's a bitch to perform a reload and mags don't drop free. Ever.

Is yours a Gen 2 lower?

To the OP, is yours a Gen 2 lower?

samuse
06-16-12, 11:30
Is yours a Gen 2 lower?

To the OP, is yours a Gen 2 lower?

Nope, regular lookin' lower, bought new and complete about a year ago.